Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Poll - Do you like drum solos?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cgw, Aug 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cgw

cgw Forum Resident Thread Starter

Good idea. The problem is that usually it is a good moment when the band comes back in and if you are in the can.....

Andy Smith likes this.
  2. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I only like drum solos that are concise, "melodic" and complementary to the track. So I voted 'no', but I can enjoy a few of them.

The_Windmill, jtiner and lightbulb like this.
  3. cgw

I was expecting the "depends" choice to dominate - wrong again.

4. cgw

Rev Horton Heat's drummer was soloing for a few minutes - THEN the Rev and the bassist left the stage.

5. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I like me a good drum solo, so long as it's interesting:righton: I can handle, for example, half an hour of John Bonham doing "Moby Dick" as long as it's not like the 36 minute drum solos he played at a couple of the Landover shows on Zeppelin's 1977 tour, those are boring as hell.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  6. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

If it's a relatively short solo (say, under three minutes), then yes. If it's Billy Cobham playing it, then yes.

7. Ginger Ale

Ginger Ale Snackophile

No. And neither does Ringo.

The possible exception being Sing Sing Sing.

8. REMASTERANTER

REMASTERANTER Ahhhhhh...

9. Rne

Rne Sufferin' succotash!

It depends on the drummer. Anyway, I prefer short solos, even in the cases of drummers I really love. Led Zeppelin's "Moby Dick" is a good example: the shorter studio version is great, the extended live performances bores me. The same applies to Cream's "Toad". Summing up, I'm absolutely ok with a 5-minute-long drum solo.
    Now, if a wider variety of percussion instruments are involved, and if the solo features more than one musician (e.g. Grateful Dead), it gets much more interesting. (By the way, I love the short solos Bill Kreutzmann used to play by himself).

on7green and Plan9 like this.
  10. Django

Django Forum Resident

Yeah. Short ones by skilled drummers.

LilacTeardrop and Witchy Woman like this.
  11. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

sometimes ... i used to love them, but they got a little boring for me ... it does really depend on the drummer and my mood though.

12. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

Depends on the drummer.
    Meytal Cohen. :love:

13. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

No. Can't think of one I like.

14. jawaka1000

jawaka1000 Forum Resident

I love this !.
    0.00 the black page drumsolo
    2.04 the black page part 1 ;(drumsolo again but now with other instruments)
    5.38 the black page part 2 ;(drumsolo with other instruments again, but now on a 4/4 beat for teenagers.)

performed by Ensemble Musikfabrik

15. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Boring. Same with long guitar solos. You can tell the crowd is dying for it to end... :shrug:

16. keifspoon

keifspoon Forum Resident

Keith Moon is my favorite drummer, but yes I do like drum solos. They are usually on the short and sweet side, melodic and in the context of the song. I have so many early '70 records that I love and it almost seems to me like ever last one of them had to include the obligatory drum solo. :)

lightbulb likes this.
  17. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

It depends on the drummer. Phil Collins began his concerts on the Both Sides tour alone on stage on a "hidden" kit that was obscured behind part of the set. In the pre-internet days where nobody knew about this, it was a real surprise and a great start to the show. I also like his double drum work with Chester Thompson.
    Gavin Harrison did a superb drum solo during 21st Century Schizoid Man with King Crimson in 2015. It really added to it, never straying too far and not outstaying its welcome.
    I could watch Clem Burke play all day long, but while he might bookend the odd track with some solo spot, it's always brief.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  18. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Yes, I prefer drum solos that are “short and sweet”, also, just like your OP.
    Why didn’t you provide that as an vote option?

Also:
    [] Drum solos are OK for Jazz, not OK for Rock
    [] I like very few drum solos (under 10)
    [] I like drum solos that are concise, "melodic" and complementary to the track.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    patel kismet and Plan9 like this.
  19. peteham

peteham Forum Resident

Love em

oldsurferdude likes this.
  20. btbderek

btbderek Kick Out The Jams

As a drummer I voted yes. But, I will echo what everyone else said, Jazz guys usually are the few that can pull off something long, in rock I like it short and sweet (Moby Dick being my exception).

21. Generally yes, but I think 3 to 5 minutes are enough.

22. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

23. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I love drums and I love hearing drummers like Antonio Sanchez, Stewart Copeland and Steve Gadd. But as a solo-instrument drums are a bad thing and when the solo is longer and is 'exploring the beat' it comes close to unmusical. The same goes for bass-solos, by the way.

24. Dear 23

Dear 23 Senior Member

25. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.