Poll: Do you like heavy metal?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marke, Apr 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Yes, I like some.

2. Harold R

Harold R Forum Resident

The only metalish group I like is Girlschool.

Scopitone likes this.
  3. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I like the early heavy metal, depending on your definitions, but not much of it from the 80s. I didn't like too much of the music from the mid 80s, hence my dead period, which ended in 1991.

4. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

I voted "indifferent", which isn't really accurate. I would say more "neutral".

Like a lot of people here, I like certain kinds of metal. But only when I am in the mood. Sometimes I will go on a binge with some new-to-me kind of metal -- often using it when I lift weights. But I get tired of it soon enough. In the end, I find that when I want heavy music, I usually like Hard Rock -- and something like Pantera or FFDP or Slipknot (which are all great Lifting music but not something I would sit around listening to most of the time) are to me more Really Hard Rock than "metal".

5. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I like it in small doses. I like it when it's heavy and melodic at the same time. I like Iron Maiden's literate lyrics. I'm not a fan of the tuneless bonehead stuff.

6. In-Absentia

In-Absentia Forum Resident

I've been listening to metal since I was 11 (I'm 24 now) and don't see that ever changing. Despite my interests veering to other vastly different genres, metal is one style that I can always come back to. Heck, I even like some of the much maligned nu-metal that people are embarrassed ever happened now. In particular, I think System of a Down deserve a second listen from some of the metal fans who dismissed them at the time. Just my opinion.:)

worldwidewarhol likes this.
  7. zen

zen Senior Member

Not sure; but I do watch That Metal Show. lol
    When they labeled it heavy metal (circa late 70's) it stopped being interesting for lack of a better word. Maybe I wasn't the target audience. I already had the unholy trinity era.

8. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I still listen to my Iron Maiden, Slayer and early Metallica albums regularly but the new stuff really does nothing for me. I liked Cookie Monster as a kid watching Sesame Street but he is lousy as a metal singer.

marke and Brudy like this.
  9. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I can take it or leave it. :D;)

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/the-megadeth-album-by-album-thread.336927/

Trillmeister likes this.
  10. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I bleed heavy metal!

SwollenGoat and Trillmeister like this.
  11. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I used to like prog-metal but I kind of outgrew it. I love prog and I love metal but they don't taste good when mixed, IMO. I tried the new Dream Theater album and it didn't do much for me at all. I still enjoy Opeth and Fates Warning, but that's pretty much as far as it goes.

GodShifter likes this.
  12. Claus

Claus Senior Member

One of the best Symphonic Metal songs...

13. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I had to vote "no".... don't really listen to much heavy stuff these days. The only really "heavy" bands still I like are Black Sabbath and Metallica.... can't tolerate most of the other bands & sub-genres of metal.... that "cookie monster vocal" thing, in particular, is pure garbage.

14. Loz

Loz Forum Resident

yes, i even like death and black metal :)

15. Claus

Claus Senior Member

By the way... their cover of the Grammy winning song by Imagine Dragons is better than the original IMO

16. gedsmit

gedsmit Fair Weather Member

As a teenager loved it; then got into more chin-strokey pretentious music; then during the 90's left guitar-based music behind for more dance-oriented and trip-hop stuff.

For the last few years it has returned with a vengeance - absolutely love it, have really enjoyed re-buying fave albums - mainly early heavy metal - Iron Maiden, Scorpions, early Metallica, Sabbath, Purple, AC/DC, UFO.

Obviously I may be blurring the lines between heavy metal and heavy rock here - I've never bothered with that whole what exactly is Metal argument!

Trillmeister likes this.
  17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Never liked it. Tried to like it. Still don't like it. It doesn't help its the preferred soundtrack to the White Trash lifestyle.

18. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I've been listening to some form or another since I was about 6 years old (in 1976). These days most of the metal bands I listen to are of the 70s retro variety or the more experimental and progressive leaning groups.

19. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

20. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Look...just say you don't like it if you don't like it. Don't call people that listen to it white trash.

21. greatmuta

greatmuta Forum Resident

Metal's been one of my favorite genres since I first discovered it in the late 80's. I mostly like 70's/80's metal: Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Accept, Death, Dio, King Diamond/Mercyful Fate, Metallica, Megadeth, My Dying Bride, Opeth, Ozzy, Slayer, Testament.. And some Black Metal such as Burzum, Darkthrone, Immortal. Also, Funeral Doom which is extremely atmospheric like Esoteric and Evoken. Metal For Life.

22. Unless you consider "Christian rock" a genre, metal is about the only genre of pop/rock where I can find no redeeming qualities whatsoever...

George Kaplan likes this.
  23. slayerhatesusall

slayerhatesusall Well-Known Member

Yeah I have lots of metal cds/records, I have tons of death metal, thrash, doom, heavy metal, sludge, etc. I like most types of metal except the majority of symphonic metal, melodeath, viking metal, gothic metal, and deathcore/ metalcore stuff which I wouldn't even really call metal anyway.

FJosh likes this.
  24. gedsmit

gedsmit Fair Weather Member

I think the reason why it gets a bad press is that there has been an awful lot of derivative rubbish over the years. A good heavy metal sound is really hard to pull off. When it works, it works really well. The balance between the guitars and drumming is so, so important. And of course the media mastering, and a half decent system.

Played loud, with the right combination of factors - gorgeous!

At the moment, for example, I'm listening to the old Megaforce CD of Metallica Kill 'em All :righton:

Trillmeister likes this.
  25. slayerhatesusall

slayerhatesusall Well-Known Member

I really can't think of a genre that doesn't have lots of derivative rubbish though.

Also I have a unopened copy of that megaforce kill em all cd, still in the blisterpak packaging. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.