Poll: Do you like heavy metal?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marke, Apr 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Yes...except for the solos!;)

2. old school

old school Senior Member

New band from Poland. I thought I would share in the Psych-Doom genre.

3. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Haha! "Weedpecker" has to be a new low in all-time worst band names!
    Good music, though. I like that a lot.

4. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

And I thought Salem's Pot was a bad name!

GodShifter likes this.
  5. old school

old school Senior Member

Thank's yes the name is crazy but the music smokes.

GodShifter likes this.
  6. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Indeed!

old school likes this.
  7. clayton

clayton Senior Member

Metallica, Motorhead, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest are all in my collection, not a fan of Slipknot and similar sounding bands

thxphotog likes this.
  8. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I like that interlude at 4:02. Great chords. Sounds like a minor 6th with a second or something. The main riff sounds a little like Sabbath. Great stuff.

Trillmeister and old school like this.
  9. Darksolstice

Darksolstice Forum Resident

I voted no and won't hold it against you if you said yes : )

10. old school

old school Senior Member

Just one in the Psych- Doom genre that is overflowing with great bands.

Rose River Bear likes this.
  11. PiratesFan

PiratesFan Forum Resident

I don't own much heavy metal music in my collection, but I do like the stuff that's more melodic than "thrashy." That being said, I have started to watch "That Metal Show" on VH1 Classic and find that how they cover the music is interesting and entertaining. I learn something about the artists they have on and have checked out some of the stuff they feature.

12. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

Add me as well.

old school likes this.
  13. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

"Ladies & Gentleman welcome to the stage.... Weedpecker.... " The name alone will prevent them from become really successful IMO !!

GodShifter likes this.
  14. wrighty47

wrighty47 Forum Resident

Give Mastodon, Red Fang, Blood Ceremony, or Mount Salem a try.

wavethatflag and Brudy like this.
  15. timind

timind phorum rezident

Never have cared for it. It ain't my thang.

16. Rapid Fire

Rapid Fire Hyperactive!

Hell yes! Got into hard rock / metal back in 1977 with Kiss. Soon after branched out to other 70's hard rock / metal such as Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy, UFO, Judas Priest, etc. Followed along into the eighties with the Glam scene and Thrash Metal (one of my favorite genres). Got into Death Metal about 10 years after it's scene appeared. I still listen to Heavy Metal as my main music interest. Never been a Black Metal fan overall, but there are some decent songs in that particular vein.

17. old school

old school Senior Member

Weedpecker Sativa Landscapes is there debut. But in all reality most great music is not successful. If you are hung up on a name more then the music it's your loss. And they are already successful with one album out and touring the world. They said the same thing about Iron Maiden so I hope Weedpecker proves you wrong which in part they have.

18. Rapid Fire

Rapid Fire Hyperactive!

I never heard of Weedpecker before these last 5 minutes, but I'm intrigued. I just downloaded their album from iTunes for $5.94. I'll give this a listen probably tomorrow while at work.

old school and Rose River Bear like this.
  19. old school

old school Senior Member

Well there you go Maidenpriest does not think they will be successful because of there name. It took Iron Maiden six years before they hit paydirt. Weedpecker just sold one album in five minutes.

Brudy, Rose River Bear and Rapid Fire like this.
  20. Very little Heavy Metal floats my boat, though I can kinda appreciate some of the better guitar work.

My wife likes Metallica, though. Her favorite is the project they did win the San Francisco Symphony.

21. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

A long time ago around 1978/1979. I'm walking to high school. Run into Carl. He's in a band, played guitar, long black hair, blond streak. Very cool, nice kid. I'm somewhat geeky. Our conversation went something like this:

Carl: What music do listen to?
    Me: oh I like UFO, Van Halen, Blue Oyster Cult, Rush, Iron Maiden......I like stuff with guitars.
    Carl: You like heavy metal.
    Me: What's heavy metal?
    Carl : that's the kind of music you like! It's called heavy metal.

It was my Johnny Carson moment, "I did not know that!"

70's 80's metal. The stuff I grew up with. After that I lost interest for the most part. I may have become curmudgeonly but my feeling was, been there done that, with most new stuff I heard. I never got speed or death metal. Cookie Monster vocals just made me laugh. Some great shredders out there but it just didn't do it for me. :cheers:

slipkid likes this.
  22. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

The original Symphonic Metal is still the greatest

23. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Yes. I would say that Judas Priest's Screaming For Vengeance solidified that for me early on.

For me, it has become the most enduring form of rock music. When I listen to new bands, I find that I like the metal bands the most. They seem to be the most passionate.

Trillmeister, Rapid Fire and DDTM like this.
  24. Kurofuda

Kurofuda Active Member

I agree. Rock would barely exist for me post-1985 without metal.

25. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I would say that Zeppelin and Purple are not heavy metal, but they helped to form the basis of it. Black Sabbath and Rainbow are on the borderline. Maybe metal, maybe not, but definitely influential. Once you get to Judas Priest and Scorpions, you've definitely crossed that line.

AC/DC and Motorhead are, also, two that I don't really consider heavy metal. Their music is just hard, garage-style rock that is REALLY LOUD!

Of course, the definition of heavy metal has changed over the years. Idiot critics in the late 70's used to refer to Journey, Styx, REO Speedwagon, and Foreigner as heavy metal, hard as it is to believe now.

You can argue about the early guys, but once you get to Judas Priest, you're there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.