Poll: Do you like heavy metal?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marke, Apr 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Think how an Audio Fidelity Heavy Metal compilation from the original master tapes would sound!

I get the feeling the artists wouldn`t go for it though.

2. Ramilo

Ramilo Active Member

I can see why. Megadeath SUCKS. The "singer" can't sing.

3. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

I like Hard Rock, but as to Heavy Metal, no.

4. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

No worries I was just joking after I heard this, lol

5. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Yes, I like some of it, and a little dab does me.

6. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I can see why you responded the way you did. See my post #145 for a description of the category you fall into.

7. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

You're a really tactful individual. :thumbsup:

8. Rose River Bear

I can see you have really listened to their music and as such have given your intelligent response. BTW- You need to Google how the band's name is spelled.

Trillmeister, old school and Brudy like this.
  9. old school

old school Senior Member

Man you know what you are a genius. Wow to bad it's not in heavy metal.

10. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

No, I always found it too . . . silly. The requisite Spinal Tap "retarded sexuality" or dumbed down doom-and-gloom shrieked over masturbatory guitar playing? What's not to not like? Even when the metalheads find a groove, you can be sure they'll ruin it with a drum solo or reference to the Dark Arts.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
    peteneatneat likes this.
  11. Rose River Bear

Not a big deal really. Some of his posts I read in a Nirvana thread are classics. Apparently he is an expert on who can sing and who can't.

Rapid Fire and old school like this.
  12. peteneatneat

peteneatneat Forum Resident

Oh I see, the many of us who find little redeeming qualities in metal music are actually missing some basic brain function. We cannot appreciate the finer qualities of metal music because we have a limited ability to understand it. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
    Pot, meet kettle.

13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Nah, it just means you aren't very open minded and have preconceived ideas on what's good and what's not. That's cool, though, everybody can't appreciate everything. :)

Trillmeister and old school like this.
  14. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Overall no.

15. peteneatneat

peteneatneat Forum Resident

No it doesn't at all. I'm sure you, like everyone, dislike some genres in music. That doesn't mean you're close-minded with preconceived ideas about what's good and bad. Nor does it mean that you simply don't have the mental faculties to appreciate certain genres (as implied by Rose River Bear).

16. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I voted indifferent but then I remembered I like Crest of a Knave :)

17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Yeah, there are many genres of music I don't care for. You certainly have that right.

This isn't a discussion/argument I care to have quite frankly. Have a good one. :cheers:

18. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

This is the problem I have with labeling music... what exactly IS metal? I was going to answer yes, because I love Black Sabbath. Then I see someone who referred to Sabbath as "Hard Rock". I personally think that trying to put artists into neat little compartments is a complete waste of time. It also diminishes their work as being one dimensional.

GodShifter and c-eling like this.
  19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Our forum member Aleksandar did a great job of delineating metal and its sub-genres. Check his thread out; it's good reading and very informative:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/my-attempt-to-explain-metal-subgenres-with-examples.324840/

20. DDTM

DDTM Well-Known Member

Thanks, Jason.

To be fair, the thread doesn't deal with the question of hard rock vs. heavy metal. It examines those bands which are undeniably metal.

As for the borderline cases, I think bands like Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Motorhead, Rainbow, etc. have both hard rock and heavy metal moments. With a band like Rainbow, the former is predominant, while with Priest, for example, it's the latter. Where's the line? Who knows. It's certainly often blurry, which is why I would advise against categorical statements like "Black Sabbath is hard rock", "No, it isn't, it's heavy metal", etc. Often, it's both. But some cases are clear. Metallica, up to 1996 or so, is not hard rock. Deep Purple's Come Taste the Band is not heavy metal, it's hard rock. And so on.

Agaraffa, I hope you find the thread helpful.

Brudy and GodShifter like this.
  21. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

Hopefully the crowd is great for the Avenged Sevenfold concert I’m going to next week too. I hear they have a great stage show.

22. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

He may be right about the singer for Megadeath. I've never heard of them! ;-) Megadeth's vocalist (Dave Mustaine) does have the kind of voice that might grate on some. But I can deal with it thanks to his guitar playing. I still think of Megadeth as being just as much of a progressive metal band as a thrash band; some of those songs on the earliest albums especially are quite complex.

old school, Brudy and GodShifter like this.
  23. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

:laugh:

24. Rose River Bear

I will admit some of the costumes can get silly. However, I know you like classical music. A lot of the solos in metal explore modalities such as a violin player would do in the cadenza of Beethoven's Violin Concerto. A good example is the Fritz Kreisler cadenza with the way he plays the modal interchange. Do you find the playing of cadenzas masturbatory also because they really serve the same purpose and solos in pop, rock, metal are derived from the classical cadenza.

25. zen

zen Senior Member

Nah, Come Taste the Band is just rock music. Whereas mkII Deep Purple with distortion on every instrument was truly hard rock. Oh, we have such fun with categories. :D

I think agaraffa was on the money when he wrote...

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.