POLL: Do You or Would You Use a Subwoofer? (in an audiophile system)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cyclone Ranger, Nov 17, 2020.

1. timind

timind phorum rezident

Two years ago I would've chosen the "never" option. Since moving into a large room and getting a sub properly integrated, I'm in the "awesome" category. I prefer small two-way speakers for their imaging, and in a large room, a sub is required to get the "I'm there" experience.

AndyCC72, wgriel, Tim 2 and 2 others like this.
  2. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

I don't get your point, or maybe I didn't state exactly what my setup is. I use a line-level crossover (for each channel) and run the subs in stereo. Four DAC channels, four channels of amplification. What isn't 2.2 about that?

3. Mike-48

Yes, you read my comment exactly right. I am fully on-board. Every time I disconnect the subs for some reason, I remember why I like having them. They really improve my listening experience, despite (not because of) all the fiddling to set them up.

AndyCC72 and bever70 like this.
  4. Melvin

Melvin Forum Resident

+1 .. funny how that happens. I rarely give a thought to my sub unless it's turned off or disconnected.

wgriel and bever70 like this.
  5. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Mine turns on automatically when it receives a music signal from my amp (and off after 15mins without any signal). A week ago music was playing at a really low volume because my wife was working from home (in the room where my system is) and I thought to myself, damn this volume is way to low to enjoy any music, it just sounded thin and not right. Until one track which was a bit louder than the others played after an hour or so and this triggered the sub. Apparently the volume had been too low to trigger the sub into action without me realising it....which is why it didn't sound 'right' the first hour :rolleyes:.

Melvin likes this.
  6. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I prefer floor standing speakers with good bass response. I don't like using a sub in my main 2 channel system. If i had a small room that required bookshelves I probably would sub. A sub is essential in the HT system. My desktop system is fine without a sub.

Tajo1960 likes this.
  7. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Be be a true 2.2, It would have to originate from 4 channels at the source.
    Think of 5.1, there is a bass channel ( .1 ) that is entirely separate from the other five channels.

8. Mike-48

Tim, I guess we'll have to disagree on that. Anyway, for music, I'd hardly want separate bass channels originating from the source. It would mean, e.g., that the bass drums and fiddles in an orchestra were recorded separately, in a different room. Makes no sense!

In short, it makes no difference to me whether the signal is divided in the recording studio or by the user at home in determining what you call it. To describe a stereo setup with one sub with a different signal from the mains, 2.1 is handy notation, as is 2.2 to describe a setup with stereo subs. No matter how you slice it, there are extra channels carrying their own signals. (Oh, and I'm hardly the only one to use the notation that way. It's pretty common, if you look around.)

BTW, those Sonus Fabers of yours are gorgeous!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    Tim 2 likes this.
  9. Mike-48

To my way of thinking, subs are not used only to make up for limited extension in the main speakers; i.e., they are not primarily a way to (in a sense) turn a small speaker into a large one. That is one thing they can do, sure, but they can do other important things as well. How important? That depends on your priorities and your room.

The main one is, they allow positioning the mains for nicest sound without worrying about smoothest bass response. Then, the subs then can be positioned to even out the bass. For example, in my difficult room, the mains play to 20 Hz, but there's no set of speaker and listener positions that eliminates an audible null around 40 Hz. I can (and do) fill that with subs, properly placed, that at the same time strengthen the lower octave, too.

So, to me and many other sub users, it's more about getting the best sound in each octave than about adding another octave or octave and a half.

Thanks for reading!

10. Professor Batty

Professor Batty Forum Resident

I never used to use them, but now I have SIX! One is integrated with the sound bar of my Vizio TV, one is hooked up to my guitar practice amp, one is for critical re-mastering with my KEF monitor speakers, and the other three are used for background music in various non-critical situations (garage, basement workshop, den). A much cheaper (my primary consideration in audio gear) way to make a good sounding system. Except for the sound bar, I have gotten them all at garage sales and thrift stores; less than $100 total! A great way to save space, too.

11. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

This may have been covered already, but the poll may be missing this option:

"No, my mains woofers go low enough and happy with bass, so sub not needed"

Sterling1 likes this.
  12. Gi54

Gi54 Forum Resident

I've never really contemplated a sub, as most of my listening these days is jazz, blues, world folk, modern classical & accoustic these days, and a double bass or drums don't usually go below 40Hz (and are mainly in the 50-100 sphere).

The Tannoy Legacy Eatons are meaningful from 40Hz and a tail off to 28Hz, so I think I'm picking up what I need via the 10'' drivers loud and clear.

If listening more to synths, pipe organ or was a bass head then I'm sure a sub would be more meaningful.

13. Djohm

Djohm Forum Resident

Looking to integrate dual SVS SB2000 Pro to my current system (KEF R3), but concerned about having dual subs in my room size (10'x 16'x8'). I'll probably bite and good thing SVS currently have an easy return policy if I run into issues of integrating them both in my set up.

wgb113 likes this.
  14. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

The latest version of the SVS 2000 have a remote control that can be adjusted from yr listening chair. I got mine prior to the changeover but I'm a huge fan of my SVS 2000. I've owned my Spendor S100's for over 30 yrs, truly a great speaker, and the SVS 2000 absolutely makes them sound better!

Catcher10, Rick58 and Djohm like this.
  15. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

SVS price increase starting Monday 10/4/21 …

16. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

Since my original post here, I've added a second SVS SB2000, bought it last Nov when SVS built some additional SB2000's, it was a no brainer and a great price. I probably will never go back, although I still feel I could live without a sub with my current speakers. But the subs just add so much to the listening pleasure and create a nice sound stage now. Integrating dual subs takes patience, it was a lot of trial and error just resetting and starting over many times, I finally have them both dialed in nicely, I run mine in stereo, the Halo HINT allows either setup. The biggest benefit is the overall freq response, before with one sub I had a big bump around 50Hz..........I can pretty much walk around the room now and notice no difference.

AndyCC72, wgb113 and Djohm like this.
  17. motorstereo

motorstereo Forum Resident

I went sub-less for about a month earlier this year while doing research on which sub I should get to replace my old one that died. Even though my mains go into the mid 20hz area without a sub the system just wasn't that engaging to listen to for that month. A sub is a must here.

18. Ted Torres Jr

Ted Torres Jr Synergistic Maximus

Although my stand monitors have an in-room bass response down to 33Hz, I have them HP at 50Hz and the powered sub LP at 50 Hz (via electronic pre-amp crossover). This yields a cleaner, more dynamic and overall tighter bass response and clearer midrange, as the upper bandwidth power amp has much more headroom and the monitor's 6" mid/bass driver can articulate upper bass/midrange frequencies with ease! The 12" 500W powered sub is 3db down at 18 hz and Easily energizes the whole room with the lowest organ pedal tone sound reproduction and orchestral near-subsonic power!

My overall system response is full range (18Hz to 28KHz), generating a huge 3D soundstage that easily extends well beyond my limited room boundaries! Guess you can say I do like my Subwoofer 2.1 Synergistic Seamless Hi-Fi Blend (profile has detailed pics of this arrangement)!! :righton:

Ted

Tajo1960 likes this.
  19. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

My sub is once again out of my system. That nagging worry about neighbors (I'm in an apartment) contributed. But also, frankly, for all the times I hear about how people can no longer go back to listening to music without one, I'm very happy with my setup without a sub. I'm not denying that a sub adds to the frequencies, but I don't think any well put together system should NEED a sub.

My speakers give me plenty of bass. I don't know, my sub has been in and out of my system over and over....

20. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

What's a subwoofer?

21. DPC

DPC Forum Resident

I put two SV1000's in my system last year (14' x 12' room). love 'em.
    was going to go with the SV2000 Pros, but i felt that would be too visually bothersome in the room.
    they do now have the SV1000 Pro; a buddy just put two in his room (about the size of mine), and he is really smitten.
    seems like all the prices are going up...
    (my current amp just went up $500 from last spring!)

Djohm likes this.
  22. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Once you go sub, you never go back

You judge if it's 'audiophile' weth that means, lol

[​IMG]

PATB, wgriel and Ted Torres Jr like this.
  23. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

15" woofers, 16" sub...

DPC likes this.
  24. enginedr

enginedr Its all good

4 REL Q 201E Subs -Distributed Bass
    As Per DR Earl Geddes

25. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Latest addition.

Catcher10, motorstereo and wgriel like this.