Poll: 'Dookie' album by Green Day in your collection?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AdamCalifornia, Apr 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

Nothing from Green Day...…...

Dave Decadent likes this.
  2. Osthagen

Osthagen Forum Resident

I have most of their recorded output. Including Dookie.

3. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

The definition of "dookie" means "feces"

Never was an album more appropriately titled.

Slash-n-burn, nosliw and Lightworker like this.
  4. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

I think FEAR's - The Record is more appropriately named, but that's my opinion.

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  5. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

I have Dookie and Insomniac. I'm good.

6. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Dookie was a HUGE record for me. Nirvana got me dipping my toe into punk rock and punk adjacent records but Green Day got me to dive in fully. I dug deep into the Lookout records catalog and then Epitaph and Fat and on and on from there. Dookie still sounds great and every time I write or record bass parts I realize just how much Dirnt’s playing influenced me. I actually like Insomniac a bit more as a record but Dookie’s influence runs much deeper. I have all the studio albums up to and including American Idiot (a lot of 7” singles too) but I stopped after that.

7. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

It's an album full well written, well-played super-catchy rock songs. Would could possibly be so offensive?

Osthagen likes this.
  8. entropyfan

entropyfan Forum Resident

Green Day were high school favorites - along with Op Ivy and Crimpshrine. I bought 39/Smooth, Slappy, and Kerplunk as new releases. I still prefer the rawer Lookout stuff - seems somehow less dated now than the sledgehammer Rob Cavallo production. Prefer their first drummer too (the lefty).

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  9. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

"American Idiot" was appropriate too...if you think of it as 'self-referential'.

nosliw likes this.
  10. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

I remember when Dookie came out during middle school. I never liked them at all. To me, they sound like poppy-rock music which annoyed me a lot.

Lightworker likes this.
  11. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

Being a sucker for mid-90's punk, it's a requirement. But i'm in the minority in saying I prefer Insomniac to any of their other releases. Great straight ahead punk, with them at the top of their game before catering to the masses. Dirnt's bass playing was a real stand out for me on that one.

500Homeruns likes this.
  12. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

"Do you have the time to listen to me whine?"

Nope.

nosliw likes this.
  13. danielkov86

danielkov86 Playing Devil's Avocado Since 1986

One of my favorites growing up in the 90s. My friends and I played this to death while we played N64 and charged WWF pay-per-views to our parents' credit cards. :D

14. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The biggest barrier to me liking this band has always been Billie Joe's voice. I can't stand the annoying way he pronounces certain words and his pseudo-British accent. Other than that I'll say they had some catchy songs but overall not a group I've ever been interested in. I've heard their stuff plenty too. Many people I knew in the 90s were ga-ga over this band and I just didn't get it.

15. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

No Green Day at all. I will admit I like a couple songs and that rhythm section is really solid.

16. I don't own any of their albums, but they are a fantastic band, and Dookie is one of their best!

17. Osthagen

Osthagen Forum Resident

Well you should add it to your collection then! :)

18. I first discovered Green Day through a close friend in the late '90s, and I vividly remember getting Warning a day early (at the same time as buying Radiohead's Kid A, in fact). While I absolutely loved that album, especially its attempts at moving outside the pop-punk box, I felt American Idiot suffered from a muddled plot and overly slick production. 21st Century Breakdown took its predecessor's issues even further, and the so-called "trilogy" felt like a mix of regressive garage-style material mixed with daring experimentation, only lacking consistent songwriting - you could almost make a drinking game out of how many times Billie Joe recycles lyrics about flashing red lights.

As for Dookie, it's hard to believe this is now over a quarter of a century old and considered a classic from a band now in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Still, that's exactly where we're at now, and while it's not my favourite in Green Day's overall catalogue, I'm proud to say that I have three copies. Apart from the original CD and cassette, I recently picked up the 2008 vinyl reissue, which sounds absolutely fantastic. Saying that, I'm surprised we didn't get something of real substance for its 25th anniversary, but what is there beyond the original b-sides, demos and live versions already out there? On a related note, I really do hope an expanded treatment for American Idiot will surface one day that includes the scrapped Cigarettes & Valentines project...

19. Slash-n-burn

Slash-n-burn Forum Resident

I do have it among my records, despite the fact I somewhat dislike Green Day and viewing them as manufactured, sellout stadium-rock.
    A former girlfriend left it in my bedroom and never came back for it.

It has a modicum of good moments, but punk it is not :shake: Punk like a pigeon is a vulture.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.