Poll: Dylan - "Meet Me in the Morning" or "Call Letter Blues"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RayS, Oct 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower Thread Starter

Both recorded 9-16-74. Dylan had two sets of lyrics for the same tune and recorded both. Bob picked "Meet Me in the Morning", and "Call Letter Blues" sat in the can until The Bootleg Series came along. What's your pick?

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  2. RayS

Dylan's folks are really good at keeping his released material off of YouTube. So here's a cover of "Call Letter Blues".

3. RayS

And here's an alternate take of "Meet Me in the Morning"

ExHead likes this.
  4. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Though I loved Call Letter when I first heard it on the Bootleg Series all those years ago, I must go with Bob's decision for the Meet Me...lyrics.

Fifty siiiiix and Wabashaw...love it.

3rd Uncle Bob likes this.
  5. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Meet Me In the Morning really takes me back to Blood On the Tracks when I was young and sure that Dylan KNEW.

6. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Wow, never really thought about this! MMITM seems somehow slighter lyrically, but I'm guessing that Dylan thought twice about releasing lyrics like "Well, the children cry for mother/I tell them, 'Mother took a trip'” while his marriage was disintegrating.

picassoson, Hey Vinyl Man and RayS like this.
  7. RayS

Personally this is a no-contest for me. "Call Letter Blues" by a landslide. I always considered "Meet Me in the Morning" as the slightest song on "BOTT", and I loved "Call Letter Blues" at first listen. Just a deeper, more emotional song, and one much more cut from the same cloth as the other BOTT songs, to me.

majorlance, GetHappy!!, slane and 4 others like this.
  8. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Ditto. Surprised by the results so far...

Edit: a relevant poll result from way back...
    Round 2: which Dylan recordings are better? Originals or Bootleg Series?

majorlance and RayS like this.
  9. nojmplease

nojmplease Host, You Can't Unhear This

I love that lead guitar tone on Meet Me in the Morning. It's the only time I've heard it ever used on a Dylan track, and it reminds me of Jimmy Page's tone on the solo in You Shook Me. It just sounds raw and awesome. Anyone know who plays it?

DTK likes this.
  10. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

Wow!
    Can't believe Call Letter Blues is
    behind in this poll!
    It's so much better!
    So much more visceral
    with better lyrics to.

...oh ya......IMO

Hey Vinyl Man and The Bard like this.
  11. The Bard

The Bard Highway 61 Revisited. That is all.

CLB easy.

12. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Call Letter ~
    Absolutely, more raw energy and a real sense of immediacy.
    Good call Ray...

13. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

"Morning" for purely musical reasons; the vocal melody is superior as well as the arrangement. That guitar tone mentioned upthread is fantastic.

rednax likes this.
  14. Afaninfull

Afaninfull Forum Resident

I thought Call Letter Blues was one of the biggest revelations on The Bootleg Series. I agree with the post discussing the line about the children cry for mother and how much pain and blame it directs. It is a very powerful song and would have complimented If You See Her, Say Hello and You’re A Big Girl Now.

15. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

"Call Letter Blues" was and is one of my favorite songs on the Bootleg Series. Nothing against "Meet Me in the Morning," but I do prefer "Call Letter Blues".

16. Meet Me In The Morning. While I think Up To Me should have been included on the album, leaving Call Letter Blues off in favor of Meet Me In The Morning was the right thing to do in my opinion.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  17. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

It's pedal steel guitarist Buddy Cage, a longtime member of the New Riders of the Purple Sage, probably going through some kind of distortion box or other signal processing. Of course, Cage also appears on the New York version of "You're a Big Girl Now."

DTK and nojmplease like this.
  18. ExHead

ExHead Forum Resident

The acoustic MMITM is the best of all for me

19. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Call letter.
    Perhaps Dylan felt it too personal, thus "meet me" was spun.
    The alternate take posted is great stuff.

20. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

The trouble with picking a favorite among the three circulating versions of the song is that they were all released so many years apart from each other. The BOTT version probably has less interesting lyrics, but the vocal performance is really something, and it does blend well with the other MPLS tracks on the record; likewise, the RSD solo acoustic take, which has that NYC flavor; "Call Letter Blues" was kind of a shocker when it came out, with those raw, stinging lyrics, and is, truly, quite a different type of song.

I can't really choose, so I'm gonna punt instead -- here's Freddie King's bluesy version of Meet Me In The Morning.

Maranatha5585 and rubbersoulman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.