POLL: Favorite Beatles songs by McCartney that Lennon praised

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hombre, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Hombre

Hombre Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not everything was negative for John, in spite of his over-critical mind; he could also say positive things about a song if he really thought it deserved it, regardless who the main author was. Thus, this new poll is about Beatles songs written by McCartney and praised by Lennon. Again, I tried to sustain the options with actual John's quotes, but surely there may be other examples. You'll be able to choose up to 5 options.

All My Loving. "This was one of his first biggies." / "'All My Loving' is Paul, I regret to say. Because it's a damn fine piece of work. But I play a pretty mean guitar in back."

Things We Said Today. "Paul's. Good song."

I'll Follow The Sun. "A nice one."

Yesterday. "Paul wrote the lyrics to 'Yesterday.' Although the lyrics don't reslove into any sense, they're good lines. They certainly work, you know what I mean? They're good-- but if you read the whole song, it doesn't say anything; you don't know what happened. She left and he wishes it were yesterday-- that much you get-- but it doesn't really resolve. So, mine didn't used to either. I have had so much accolade for 'Yesterday.' That's Paul's song, and Paul's baby. Well done. Beautiful-- and I never wished I'd written it."

Here, There And Everywhere. "This was a great one of his." / "That's Paul's song completely, I believe. And one of my favorite songs of the Beatles."

For No One. "Another of his I really liked." / "Paul's. One of my favorites of his. A nice piece of work."

Got To Get You Into My Life.
    "Paul. I think that was one of his best songs, too, because the lyrics are good and I didn't write them. You see? When I say that he could write lyrics if he took the effort-- here's an example."

Fixing A Hole.
    "That's Paul... again writing a good lyric."

The Fool On The Hill.
    "Now that's Paul. Another good lyric. Shows he's capable of writing complete songs."

Hey Jude.
    "That's his best song."

Why Don't We Do It In The Road?
    "Paul. One of his best."

Oh! Darling. "'Oh! Darling' was a great one of Paul's that he didn't sing too well. I always thought that I could've done it better-- it was more my style than his. He wrote it, so what the hell, he's going to sing it. If he'd had any sense he should have let me sing it." (laughs)

The End. "That's Paul again, the unfinished song, right? Just a piece at the end. He had a line in it, (sings) 'And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make,' which is a very cosmic, philosophical line-- which again proves that if he wants to, he can think."

So it seems that "Yesterday" was not the only thing Paul's done; right John?

2. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Tea-sipping bad boy!

Good idea, Hombre. It's hard to pick only five from this list, but here goes:

'All My Loving'
    'Things We Said Today'
    'Here, There, and Everywhere'
    'For No One'
    'Got to Get You into My Life'

Hombre likes this.
  3. Hombre

My votes:

Things We Said Today
    Here, There And Everywhere
    Got To Get You Into My Life
    Hey Jude
    The End

4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Pick up a fast car, burn my name in the road

Things We Said Today - just a great melancholy track, with a great melody
    I'll Follow The Sun - again such a great melody
    Got To Get You Into My Life - I was never big on horns in rock, but for me this really worked well, and it changed my perspective on the horns thing. A real thumper of a track
    Fixing A Hole - One of my favourite tracks off Pepper
    Hey Jude - I know this song has been overplayed, but that is just because it is a great song

Hombre likes this.
  5. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

Paul McCartney '66-'68 : The Classic Years

Here, There And Everywhere
    Fixing A Hole
    The Fool On The Hill
    Hey Jude

Hombre likes this.
  6. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Just chose the three that I really like:

I'll Follow the Sun
    Got to Get You Into My Life
    Why Don't We Do It In the Road

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    Hombre likes this.
  7. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

All My Loving
    Fixing Hole
    Fool on Hill
    For No One
    Things We Said Today

Looking forward to the "Favorite Beatle Songs that Ringo neither loved nor hated" poll.

Jimmy B. and Hombre like this.
  8. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

All My Loving
    Things We Said Today
    I'll Follow The Sun
    Fixing A Hole

Hombre likes this.

9. Thanks for compiling these comments from John. I had seen most of these comments before individually, but after reading them all together, I got the sense that what John valued most were the lyrics - not necessarily the singing performance, the musical performance, the arrangement or the production. Interesting and pretty telling. Now I understand what John was thinking when he later said he wanted to rerecord many Beatles songs. (I don't agree with him, but I think I now get where he was coming from.)

Trixmay 988 and Hombre like this.
  10. And, for the record, I picked:
    • I'll Follow The Sun
    • Yesterday
    • Got To Get You Into My Life
    • Hey Jude
    • The End
    For me, it is about the overall 'feel' and the 'big picture' - not so much individual instrumental or vocal bits or fragments of the overall lyrics.

Hombre likes this.
  11. shareefruck

shareefruck Well-Known Member

Here, There and Everywhere is the best thing McCartney's ever done, IMO.

Hombre likes this.
  12. jmxw

jmxw Forum Resident

Today it's:
    All My Loving
    For No One
    Why Don't We Do It In The Road
    Oh! Darling
    The End

Tomorrow it will probably be different... [really, they're all good :righton: ]

Hombre likes this.
  13. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

For No One
    Hey Jude
    Yesterday
    All My Loving
    Here There & Everywhere

Would have loved to include these as well (in this order):
    Fool On The Hill
    Things We Said Today
    The End
    I'll Follow The Sun

Got To Get You Into My Life, Fixing A Hole, and Oh Darling are good, but rank just below these

Why Don't We Do It In The Road is mediocre at best

Hombre likes this.
  14. Trader Joe

Trader Joe Forum Resident

Excellent thread. It is great to hear that John had some positive feedback for Paul's songs. Constructive criticism requires it.

My choices:

Fool On The Hill
    Why Don't We Do It In The Road
    Here, There and Everywhere
    All My Loving

I still find it amazing that these two incredible talented musical geniuses ended up teenage friends and in the same band. What are the odds? Amazing.

Hombre likes this.
  15. Hombre

I like it, it's Paul playing John's minimalistic style. A little good sounding track among the endless tracklist of the White Album. Never a favorite of mine, but nothing to dislike from my point of view.

16. xilef regnu

xilef regnu Forum Resident

"Why Don't We Put It On the Toast?"

Hombre likes this.
  17. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Five favorites in order:

For No One
    Things We Said Today
    Here There and Everywhere
    I’ll Follow the Sun
    Got to Get You Into My Life

Hombre likes this.
  18. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

I don't dislike it either. Sort of a prelude to the homemade style of MCCARTNEY and something like "That Would Be Something" which just repeats the same lyric over and over.
    Neither song is awful or anything I dislike, but again I would say mediocre at best is an apt description of both of them.

19. yesteryear

yesteryear Forum Resident

Here There And Everywhere through Fool On The Hill

a vulgar display of master craft

Trader Joe and Hombre like this.
  20. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Best part of these polls are reliving John's comments, especially from that famous Playboy interview.

My dad had that issue and I was lucky enough to sneak a peak...at just that article, of course ; )

Hombre and Trader Joe like this.
  21. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

No one was on a better roll than Paul from 66-70.