POLL: Favorite Scrooge / adaptation of A Christmas Carol

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mmars982, Dec 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Pete Puma and mmars982 like this.
  2. MikaelaArsenault

:laugh:

3. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident Thread Starter

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  4. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Patrick Stewart (Captain Picard) one-man show. I forget which year, but it was brilliant.

jlocke08 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  5. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I also love the Patrick Stewart version. Maybe because I am a Star Trek fan, but I think he turns in a great performance. It is my second favorite version.

dewey02 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  6. Luke The Drifter

My favorite is George C. Scott. It is a tradition for us.

Zoot Marimba and applebonkerz like this.
  7. mmars982

I saw this for the first time last year & was pleasantly surprised (after hearing not-so-glowing reviews). They included quite a few things from the book not included in other adaptations. And I think Stewart was a great Scrooge.

dewey02, Atmospheric and Pete Puma like this.
  8. Yeah, the Patrick Stewart version is a keeper.

mmars982 likes this.
  9. MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  10. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

I saw it as live theatre not film. Much more impactful live I think.

mmars982 likes this.
  11. mmars982

Wow, I didn't realize he did this as a live show. (I missed the "one-man show" part of your post.)

12. MikaelaArsenault

Ebbie along with the Diva one are on DVD.

Pete Puma likes this.
  13. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

this is the BIG winner in my book. but since OP chose to ignore animated, It's a tie between George C Scott and Patrick Stewart for me.
    two versions no one has mentioned, one i just discovered a few months ago.
    i own this one-https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0198321/
    this is different-https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1855&v=UF_rKE3nIoI

14. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

I just caught the end of the Disneys 2009 A Christmas Carol. It would not be a bad adaptation if someone edited out all the 3D action crap.

longdist01 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  15. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

I love all of them (and my dad owns nearly all of them lol), but I voted for 1999 w/Patrick Stewart.

16. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

17. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I have always preferred the MGM version with Reginald Owen.
    I love Gene Lockhart as Bob Cratchit, and Terry Kilburn is the perfect Tiny Tim. Gene's wife, Kathleen is Mrs. Cratchit, and their daughter June Lockhart, who was only 12 or 13 at the time, made her screen debut as one of the Cratchit's daughters. My biggest grouse against it is there are several things from the story that are missing resulting in an extremely short film, it's just a little over an hour long. MGM streamlined the plot, as they typically did in their literary adaptations of the period.
    Lionel Barrymore was set to play Scrooge as he traditionally did on radio each Christmas from 1934 to 1953, but his severe arthritis prevented him from appearing in both this film and his annual radio appearance. Orson Welles took over the role of Scrooge on radio in 1938. Barrymore would have been perfect in rhe movie, but Owen is an excellent Scrooge, as well.

18. I know,it won’t win but George C. Scott was BORN to play Scrooge as well as Patton.

Where is the modern take with Bill Murray? Granted, his character is named Bill across but he’s Scrooge in everything but name.

Zoot Marimba and Hadean75 like this.
  19. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

We watched the Patrick Stewart version last night. It was better than I remembered from the last time I'd seen it, probably about five years ago.

I was reminded of a little trivia fact, that the lady who played Mrs. Dilber, played the same role in the George C. Scott version!

20. mmars982

Gene Lockhart is the best Bob Cratchit IMO. But not only does this version leave things out, it adds some. Having Bob get fired on Christmas Eve makes his joy a little too hard to believe.

Lionel Barrymore as Scrooge, and this could have been the best version overall.

Scooterpiety likes this.
  21. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

I watched a bare bones must have been for 50s TV version on youtube last night. It didn't take long. 25 minutes maybe. It was speed Christmas Carol. Made the book version seem like War and Peace. (Only funny if you have a copy of A Christmas Carol on your shelf next to other Dickens books.)

mmars982 likes this.
  22. mmars982

I got a copy of the replica of the book from when it was first published. It is funny how tiny it is. It could fit in your pocket (or easily in a stocking).

23. Luke The Drifter

If I remember correctly, this version shows the couple that Scrooge was foreclosing on happy that he was dead. It really is an essential scene, sadly absent from the George C. Scott version.

mmars982 likes this.
  24. Luke The Drifter

Let me give everyone a recommendation. If you like A Christmas Carol, watch "The Man Who Invented Christmas".

It was released last year and shows what Dickens went through to create the book and get it released. I was surprised to see how closely the movie followed what really happened. One of the devices the film uses is when Dickens creates a character, it comes to life and he talks to it. It turns out Dickens really did do that, so it works perfectly.

Highly recommend

25. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

I have an illustrated copy that was published in MCMXXXVIII.

mmars982 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.