POLL: Favorite Songs 1996

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LilacTeardrop, May 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here" Thread Starter

Thank you carlwm, for posting that detailed list. It was very nice of you, as I'm sure that took longer than a minute or 2! :):tiphat:I'll check out at least some of 'em & hope others' may discover new-to-them music they'll enjoy!
    Thanks to those who've been participating! :righton: I am actually surprised that Devil's Haircut has turned out to be such a popular choice!

carlwm likes this.
  2. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Cheers!

It's always fun to share enthusiasms. If you find one thing from the list that you enjoy, it'll have been worth it! :)

3. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Well, it was one a Good Song from one of the Best Albums(Critically and Popular Indie Rock/Hip Hop & all other Styles that Beck combined together) from 1996. It was like Beck got ahold of his Parent's Eclectic Record Collection and Sampled bits from all of it.

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  4. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

I can't imagine saying 1996 wasn't a good year in music. I'm so glad I can appreciate music past 1978 (like most of us in this thread). There's too much good stuff to even list. No one mentioned Dishwalla - Counting Blue Cars. Verve Pipe - The Freshmen. Counting Crows - A Long December. DMB - all of Crash. So much more!

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  5. planetexpress

planetexpress Searchin' for light in the darkness of insanity.

Since someone posted some Canadian folk rock (I recognized Blue Rodeo and Great Big Sea / will have to check out the rest) I figure I should counter with some lesser known American folk rock / singer songwriter types that released music I enjoyed in 1996.

Ellis Paul - Deliver Me.

The Boston folk scene was in full swing at this point; Ellis Paul was a big part of that.

carlwm and LilacTeardrop like this.
  6. planetexpress

Jim Infantino - Desperate Times.

Another Boston folk singer, this song pokes fun at the state of "alternative music" of the time.

carlwm likes this.
  7. planetexpress

Patty Griffin - Mad Mission.

I'm not sure how everyone else found out about Patty Griffin but I've always associated her with the Boston folk scene. Apparently she dated Robert Plant for a bit and has written songs for The Dixie Chicks among others.

8. planetexpress

Patti Rothberg - Inside.

NYC Singer songwriter. This was a minor hit in 1996 as it reached #25 in the Billboard Alternative chart.

For the record, my favorite album of 1996 has to be the "Dead Man Walking" soundtrack. I have no idea what the hits were but if you're interested in any artists on the compilation I highly recommend seeking it out...
    [​IMG]

9. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Ellis Paul is a genius. Looking forward to his new album which, I believe, is imminent!

planetexpress likes this.
  10. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Jim Infantino and Patti Rothberg are new names to me. I've enjoyed the songs you posted so I will check them out more thoroughly!

LilacTeardrop and planetexpress like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.