Poll: Favourite Song on ‘A Saucerful of Secrets’?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by A Saucerful of Scarlets, Mar 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

Voted "Remember".

This is the Floyd record I play most. It's got a little of everything I ever liked about the band.

2. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun is my favorite but Saucerful of Secrets is a very close second.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  3. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer Thread Starter

I would absolutely love to hear this. Know where I can get the album? Or at least that song as a download?

4. Safeway 1

Safeway 1 "mad, bad, and dangerous to know"

5. Safeway 1

Safeway 1 "mad, bad, and dangerous to know"

Should have posted this instead. MUST see..

6. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

That's the thing - at the risk of sounding like a snob, it has to be experienced. I resisted vinyl for years and only caved because there was an album I wanted that never had a CD release. I picked up a few Floyd albums as they were new and I knew I would enjoy them. This one track blew my mind.

I can try to whip together a lousy recording, but it wouldn't capture the magic. It might make "Light" appear to sound better than "Remember", but you'd have to get the LP reissue (or go visit someone who does).

I quite like the 2011 remaster series, it sounds fine there, but "fine" doesn't come close to this. I can only think of two other records that come close to this, but unlike this, it's because they're less compressed than their CD counterparts.

7. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

Jugband Blues is my fave by quite some distance but I like the album as a whole even though I'm more of a Syd fan than a Pink Floyd fan.
    I do wish they'd managed a 2nd album with Syd using the tracks recorded up to that point though, a nightmare follow-up to Piper
    Apples and Oranges / Jugband Blues / Vegetable Man / Scream Your Last Scream / In The Beechwoods / She Was A Millionaire / the bootlegged "No Title" instrumental / Reaction In G / Have You Got It Yet (!) etc...
    Collecting all the post Piper Syd Floyd (via a full and proper vault/private collection search) would make one hell of an RSD release. Piper At The Gates Of Hell.

Turbo2k, ToneLa, crozcat and 5 others like this.
  8. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

Precisely. 'Piper' mostly fun & whimsy, with a sliver of dark menace.

With Saucerful, if you include the outtakes you get an album that flips the ratio & makes for a decent dark psychedelic pop album. They probably didn't realise it at the time, but all the ingredients are there for a companion album that's as 1968 as Piper was 1967.

Also handy to remember that Paint Box, Julia Dream & It Would Be So Nice were recorded in the same set of sessions that produced the album too - a re-vamped 'Saucerful' would be as close as we get to a pure Syd Barrett/Richard Wright written album, with limited input from Roger Waters.

9. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

I love this album and every song on it. I picked Remember A Day.

Crimson jon and Crimson Witch like this.
  10. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I picked Jugband Blues but really, I love the whole album, though See Saw is a low point. I have both stereo and mono pressings and they are noticeably different mixes.

Crimson Witch and andrewskyDE like this.
  11. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I love the whole album! Just picked 'Let There Be More Light', great opener.

12. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Really love the album cover. Wish there was some Immersion box set of this (as Nick Mason wanted that also).

[​IMG]

13. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

None can be called favorite. I suppose maybe Jugband is least boring to me, but I don't like this album at all. I agree with the earlier comment that after Piper, this album was a huge step down.

14. A Saucerful of Scarlets

The mono versions of both Piper's and moreso Saucerful since it's so rare really need to be rereleased. I haven't head either.

andrewskyDE and Crimson Witch like this.
  15. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident

Tough call between Remember A Day and Jugband Blues.

16. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Piper mono is readily available on CD.

17. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I dont like Remember a Day and cant remember how See Saw goes. Aside from that awesome album.

18. Yufri

Yufri Forum Resident

Remember A Day. Such a nice tune. Set The Controls... would have been the obvious choice for sure.

19. Prowler

Prowler Forum Resident

I love the whole album, one of the best Pink Floyd albums, I don't understand why some people really dislike this album
    This album represents the best of the short lived "Space Rock" style, all tracks are great

To me this album is way better then Meddle (bunch of fillers), and every post WYWH albums

The album art is also one of my favorite, only second to DSOTM

I voted for "A Saucerful of Secrets", a trully underrated gem that builds up nicely to the end segment, but I also really like "Remember a Day" so it's a tough choice between the two awesome tracks

20. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

I voted Light. The low spot for me is Saucer.

Had Paintbox and Julia Dream definitely been written by the time ASOS was released?

21. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Yes, both songs are from the same period/time the album was made. 'Paintbox' was actually recorded while Syd was still in the band, cut just a few months after the release of Piper (October 1967).
    And it's said that 'Julia Dream' (rec. February 1968) was actually the first released song with Gilmour on vocals.

22. Slice

Slice Fan Of Rock

Guys, come on, Let There Be More Light is clearly the best. It also has one of the best titles in all of rockdom.

23. 9 Volt

9 Volt That cat's something I can't explain

Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun has to be my all time fave space rock/psychedelic song. It's one of those rare tracks that totally makes me feel like I'm floating through space and time, kind of like astral projection I suppose. Love to listen to it very late at night through a killer set of cans.

24. A Saucerful of Scarlets

I do too, until the sharpness of the sound slices my eardrums. Really hoping the 2016 remaster can fix that.
    But yes there's seriously nothing like it. Love the atmospherics. Love when the birds come in.

25. 9 Volt

9 Volt That cat's something I can't explain

I know what you mean. I actually threw that track into Logic Pro and dialed down the high end eq a bit. Not something I'd ever normally do. Does the vintage vinyl have the same problem?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.