Poll - favourite Yes closing album track?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Madrid, Jan 15, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apb

apb Game on!

I'd have gone with Starship Trooper, the closer on Yessongs. But that option wasn't available. So I went with Heart of the Sunrise, Siberian Khatru and Awaken.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
    boboquisp and sleepjar like this.
  2. Schu

Schu But Mama, that's where the fun is . . .

Hearts is a great closing track to a great album.

3. Rockhead

Rockhead Forum Resident

Heart of the Sunrise. Simply beautiful.

sleepjar likes this.
  4. sleepjar

sleepjar Underachiever

I consider In The Presence Of to be a latter day MAJOR classic. Same for the song immediately preceding it, Dreamtime.
    Both among their very best.

5. sleepjar

sleepjar Underachiever

I'd like to point out that the closing track on Magnification is Time Is Time.

Terrapin Station likes this.
  6. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Hearts is oddly my favorite if we're talking about listening from start to finish. If this was only Rabin the song would fall apart - more than any other song on the album required Jon and his conviction, he comes off with such conviction and is even more significant after an album full of songs about relationships, to close with the one about "only" loving.

sleepjar and boboquisp like this.
  7. Madrid

Madrid Forum Resident Thread Starter

Woops. I have this album as well so should have known better! Will see if an administrator can change it.

8. Fitter Stoke

Fitter Stoke You don't suspect my life's a mess...

Despite the mediocrity of its parent album, I’ve never understood the lack of love for ‘On The Silent Wings Of Freedom’ which is not only my favourite Yes closing track but my favourite song of theirs, period. It has everything I love about Yes in six perfect minutes.

9. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Top 5 for me:

1 Endless Dream
    2 Siberian Khatru
    3 Heart of the Sunrise
    4 Hearts
    5 Ritual

Perpetual Change and Time and a Word just missed out. My top 3 above would all be in my Yes top 10.

10. sleepjar

sleepjar Underachiever

No worries, it's actually good that we got to plug ITPO!

11. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

I really like this too. Very under-rated. I wonder if it wouldn't be more appreciated if they bothered to play it live...

beccabear67 likes this.
  12. Saturns Pattern

Saturns Pattern Forum Resident

I voted for "Perpetual Change", "Siberian Khatru" and "Awaken", but if I only had to choose one it would be "Awaken" ... if Yes' career had ended there (and most days I feel perhaps it should have done) then it would have ended on as high a high as it's possible to get. My favourite album is Relayer, but there's no way that I would have been able to vote for "To Be Over" ... I think that track fulfills a different function to a lot of Yes album closers, in the sense that it acts like more of a balm after the sonic onslaught of "The Gates of Delirium" and "Sound Chaser", whereas many Yes album closers like "Siberian Khatru", "Heart of the Sunrise" and even "Tempus Fugit" are designed to end the albums with more of a bang.

hman and tug_of_war like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.