POLL: For Vinyl Lovers - Do you rearrange the inner sleeve opening to match the jacket opening?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by If I Can Dream_23, Aug 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I figure I may be in a minority in that I always take out the inner sleeve, and put it back in the jacket so that I can thereafter always remove the album without pulling out the inner sleeve. It is simply easier.

I do understand the logic why the sleeve opening is not matched to the jacket opening - so the record doesn't accidentally slide out!

It makes perfect sense, yet this is an issue I simply never worry about. I can count the times I've had a record roll out of a jacket on one finger over the years. After all, I don't go bowling with my records. I do handle them carefully. :p

Still, I assume most probably follow the safe practice of keeping the inner sleeve opening as it was supposed to be. If just to avoid possible dust or any "rolling records". Not to be confused with Rolling Stones records... :tiphat:

Feel free to vote, if applicable...

2. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

Anything that prolongs the extraction and insertion process is better, IMHO

3. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

That’s hot

4. If I Can Dream_23

This may even be true of vinyl, yes! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Sorry, my bad joke of the day is now out of the way... :p

5. If I Can Dream_23

Yes!

That is, for any vinyl that was cut "hot". :D

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    mark winstanley likes this.
  6. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

I have real OCD - normally I have them facing up, but it's a mix of side/face depending on how bad my illness works that day

Ideally I want face up, side 1 coming out from the sleeve but it ends up a mix of both

If I Can Dream_23 likes this.
  7. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I'm a forced lover of the format
    Outside of sleeve, top, like so-
    [​IMG]

8. If I Can Dream_23

That's a good point. I probably should have added an option for those who may do it for some of their (favorite) lp's but not all of them.

9. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

No, it's not up to personal preference. It's completely random and as I said, an illness.

10. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

However you want to do it, they're your records, after all. But as far as my records are concerned I keep the inside sleeve opening to the top of the outer sleeve. Partially to ensure that none accidentally roll out on my trip to the turntable or if I'm taking into the next room for a cleaning, partially to help with dust (and pet fur). I have picked up a used album every so often that the previous owner has actually slit the inner sleeve down one side for some strange reason, I assume for easier access as well, but just plain weird, it's not that difficult or time consuming to remove the sleeve.

11. GRC

GRC Senior Member

I always make sure the inner sleeve opening is not the jacket opening - why I don't know - perhaps to protect the vinyl from alien abduction...........

12. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I take out the inner sleeve, then the record
    The opening of the inner should be at 90° to the opening of the outer. We used to say that this method reduced the risk of dust getting to the record edges.

13. Keam

Keam Isn't it funny how the rain gets in?

I make sure there is no way the record can roll out. Ever. Had a few bad scares when i was new with LPs and I never recovered. Also, considering I use it for intended purpous, I unfortunatly got a lot of issues with my storage system that easily cause records rolling. Only singles that I keep with both open ends lined up - I need both hands to get them out of the storage either way so it can't roll.

14. If the records flow more smoothly with the inner sleeve slot facing out—or if the packaging is so stubborn that it may discourage me from playing that album—then they’re slot-out. If not, I generally have the slot facing the top of the inside sleeve. I put most of my records in MoFi inner sleeves, so there’s a variance depending how it ultimately fits best within the cover sleeve.

We have no furry pets that shed, and I run an anti-static brush over the records prior to play, so those extra specks of dust are simply not as big a concern for me. I ditched the outer sleeves due to inconvenience and the secret amount of shelf space they took up. Give me more records on the shelf; I can always brush them off later.

That being said, I support any of these options. Whatever works best for each record enthusiast contributes to the enjoyment of the hobby.

Cheers,

Bill

If I Can Dream_23, Keam and c-eling like this.
  15. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

both.

for albums that have a custom innersleeve i put it facing up so that im forced to pull out the innersleeve and look at it before i put it on the player.

however if it has no special innersleeve then i like to face it towards the opening so i can just slide it out. its so much less of a hassle. i like that.

16. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I have always had the openings lined up.

Unless it is one of the square, paper lined ones, and then I have it facing up.

I think my reasoning was that the regular ones are floppy and it serves no purpose for them to come out. The reinforced ones are like support for that plastic and taking them out isn't an issue.

What about if there is a lyrics sleeve inside. Do we leave the plastic sleeve in it?
    I generally dont...
    I don't think there is as any real reasoning behind that lol

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  17. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I can imagine you really miss that! :)

mark winstanley likes this.
  18. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

Take out the inner sleeve, take the record out, clean the record, put the record in a new inner sleeve, put the original inner sleeve in the jacket, put the record in the new inner sleeve opening up in the jacket. Put the jacket in a new outer sleeve. I also remove the shrink wrap if new or if used and still with it. I've never understood the attraction so many hav to the shrink wrap. An outer sleeve serves the purpose much better in my view.

19. Bart

Bart Forum Resident

On most of my LP's I keep the inner sleeve (MoFi) outside of the cardboard outer sleeve; both within MoFi outer sleeves. If the inner sleeve is anything other than plain white paper, I keep it empty inside the cardboard. Almost all of my LP's are 40-50 years old; the cardboard is pretty fragile, and some are coming unglued as it is.

Does anyone try to re-glue the cardboard on a 'vintage' LP? or just let it split open on its own???

And I keep the opening of the inner sleeve at 90 degrees to the opening of the MoFi outer; I don't mind taking out the inner MoFi sleeve with the LP, and I convince myself it reduces the chance of the lp falling out unprotected.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  20. lazydawg58

You obviously have never consumed massive quantities of Budweiser. Not that I have :nyah: I just know things. :shrug:

Vic_1957 and If I Can Dream_23 like this.
  21. If I Can Dream_23

That's true actually...:laugh:

lazydawg58 likes this.
  22. lazydawg58

I use to try and glue them back with very mixed results. Now I just let em alone figuring that the outer sleeve serves the purpose of keeping the actual record protected.

Bart likes this.
  23. Bart

Bart Forum Resident

I don't drink either. But a few weeks ago my A4/B2 DSOTM decided to "sail" from atop my hi fi stand down to the floor. It was in its inner sleeve the entire time, and made a rather graceful gliding landing, none the worse. Ya just never know.

If I Can Dream_23 and lazydawg58 like this.
  24. Bart

Bart Forum Resident

Yes, at this point, in MoFi outer sleeves, they are 'just art' I suppose :)

25. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Here's the thing. Many of my records are German pressings from back in the day. Those covers were purposefully non-square, so you could only comfortably fit the inner sleeve one way, namely with the opening up, so that the record got maximum protection. Here's Mr. Fremer talking about it:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.