POLL: Greatest albums of 1967

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hombre, Dec 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

So many great 1967 albums listed in the poll. Here's my pick:
    - Velvet Underground & Nico
    - The Doors
    - The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
    - Magical Mystery Tour
    - Surrealistic Pillow

2. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

I do believe he was quoting Micky Dolenz of the Monkees, who was known to say that on a few occasions on the TV show.

3. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Thats the problem with 'sources' especially in this era when 'sales stats' were not highly curated like they became. If you went to the homes of young teens and pre-teens in the US in 1967, I guarantee you would see probably 2 out 3 homes with Monkees LP's. Maybe not so much in a college dorm room, but for most of the country, they were huge.

The other thing is that by the time buyers of Monkees albums hit 20 they'll say: "A Monkees album? nah, I never bought one, I was into Pink Floyd & Capt. Beefheart." Yeah.... right!

4. Uncle Miles

Uncle Miles Wafting in and out of Forum

It Was 20 Years Ago Today
    Everybody Knows She's a Femme Fatale
    Manic Depression Is a Frustrating Mess
    Roll Up Roll Up Step Right This Way
    Let's Spend The Night Together Now Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah

JDeanB likes this.
  5. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

The “sources” aren’t based on sales stats though. Otherwise, Velvet Underground wouldn’t be featured.

Hombre likes this.
  6. mds

mds Forum Resident

One of the more difficult polls. Probably find most of my ten Desert Island Albums on this list. To limit it to five is practically impossible. My choices would shift per hour. Based on which five had there biggest influence on me or the times then Pepper needs to be at the top. Both Doors were important. The first because of Light My Fires impact not only on people but radio in general. Electric music and Piper's because they best show off the psychedelic movement on each continent although Hendrix and Disreli Gears fits in tightly. Way too difficult to limit to five!

Hombre likes this.
  7. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Agreed, never said it was. The links are to polls. Current popularity rankings. Polls are rarely indicative of the popularity of music in the era they were contemporaneous to.

8. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

Oh, now I understand what you were saying. Thanks for clarifying.

9. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Hmmm, it certainly was a good year.

I ended up going with the two Beatles albums, the Byrds, The Who and the Moody Blues - but with the proviso that Magical Mystery Tour gets in only if we are considering the album-length version, with all the singles on the second side.Just missing out were Jefferson Airplane and the Kinks.

linclink likes this.
  10. Hombre

Hombre Forum Resident Thread Starter

Of course. In fact, I do encourage people to name their favorite albums that are not included in the poll. Actually I've mentioned a couple of my favorites that were missed too.

carlwm likes this.
  11. Hombre

You're right, this poll does not represent the popularity of records in 1967; but it does represent the acclaim received afterwards, until today. I think the test of time is an important factor to be considered, even more than contemporaneous popularity, which is merely a static photograph of the year.

12. ThePoodleBites

ThePoodleBites Forum Blogger

The 13th Floor Elevators' Easter Everywhere is certainly at least in my top 3.

NaturalD likes this.
  13. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Doors S/T is getting more votes than JHE AYE?? What's wrong with you people??!!

14. The Ole' Rocker

The Ole' Rocker Forum Resident

I can’t do this.

15. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

Glaring omission -- Best-selling album of the year -- More Of The Monkees

That is not to say that I think it was the best, only that the buying public in 1967 was not as cool as we'd like to think they were.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  16. The Ole' Rocker

The Ole' Rocker Forum Resident

I mean, it’s not a bad album. Yeah, it’s not as boundary-breaking as any of the albums listed; but it’s not a bad listen.

Mickey2 likes this.
  17. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

Agreed. I was deep in Monkees fandom when it came out, bought it at the supermarket and played it endlessly. But I was 10 years old.

Yes, it is an enjoyable listen, mainly for those who grew up with it. But considering the heavy hitters in the list, plus others, it is not deserving of its best-selling status. But again, those buyers were probably other 10 year old kids like me. Even Michael Nesmith apparently later said it was "probably the worst album in the history of the world," obviously an exaggeration, but point taken.

18. Hombre

I think it's not about being "cool" or "uncool", I believe the buyers were not yet prepared for those huge musical innovations in 1967. It's understood and natural that at that point the major musicians were several steps forward from the taste of the general public. I also think the taste of the buyers started to be definitely shaped from the release of Sgt. Pepper, thanks to the huge popularity of the Beatles. Somehow Revolver couldn't do that before, but I guess that a was much more difficult task in 1966. Indeed, after the release of Sgt. Pepper even the same Monkees became more adventurous, though within certain limits, of course. No wonder why by the end of 1968 the record sales of the Monkees decreased abruptely, because all the previous advances were finally digged by many music fans.

Mickey2, The Ole' Rocker and carlwm like this.
  19. Tord

Tord Forum Resident

Voted for:

The Beatles - Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
    The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour
    Aretha Franklin - I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You

Wish these were on the list:

Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim
    The Beach Boys - Smiley Smile

linclink and Hombre like this.
  20. pblmow

pblmow Forum Resident

1. *
      Are You Experienced (The Jimi Hendrix Experience)

2. *
      The Doors (The Doors)
    3. *
      Surrealistic Pillow (Jefferson Airplane)
    4. *
      Buffalo Springfield Again (Buffalo Springfield)
    5. *
      Mr. Fantasy (Traffic)

21. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Both Hendrix lps
    Cream
    Dylan
    Doors Debut

22. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

My favorite Monkees album and the last one before they foolishly let Don Kirshner go.

Mickey2 likes this.
  23. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

The Doors
    Piper At The Gates of Dawn
    Axis: Bold As Love
    Strange Days
    Buffalo Springfield Again

hon. John Wesley Harding

24. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I voted, but they're all winner so it doesn't matter which ones I picked.

Imagine if this many great albums were released in, say, the year 2019? Oh man!

25. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Where are the first 2 Cowsills albums?

Crimson Witch likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.