Poll: How do you rate David Gilmour's "David Gilmour" album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, Oct 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. penguinzzz

penguinzzz Forum Resident

It's an honest, unpretentious Gilmour album. It revisits themes familiar from his Floyd work, mixed with some fairly meat-and-potatoes rock and some slightly awkward but rather charming attempts at self analysis. Rather like the man, it's solid, not especially ambitious, tasteful, easy going, a bit lazy.

However it is also a showcase for Gilmour's guitar and voice at a point where for me they were at their best. There are passages which (unsurprisingly) wouldn't be out of place on Animals which is the PF era that interests me the most. So I rate it essential, and certainly the only DG solo LP I ever listen to.

Roadeyez, Runicen and zinan like this.
  2. sheffandy

sheffandy Forum Resident

A great album with some terrific guitar playing :righton:

3. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I play this as a "two-fer" with "About Face". :righton:

Runicen and carlwm like this.
  4. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

It's the only solo album of his i love.

5. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Solid overall but a couple of stinkers drag this one down

6. penguinzzz

penguinzzz Forum Resident

interested to know which ones are the stinkers? I always found it a fairly even listen.

7. clayton

clayton Senior Member

I think it is his best solo album by far.

8. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Can't get through "So Far Away" without cringing, the lyrics are pretty embarrassing... there are a few songs on side two that are also very repetitive and consequently hard to sit through

9. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Good album for sure, although I listen to About Face more than any other Gilmour solo record.

misteranderson and Chris Schoen like this.
  10. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Essential, my favourite Gilmour solo album, bought the day it was released..

Stencil likes this.
  11. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

The only Gilmour album i own,better than any Pink Floyd since Animals.

Malina likes this.
  12. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

One of my favs, listen to it 100 times before a final cut !

Stencil likes this.
  13. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum Thread Starter

I voted "not bad". Although I love Gilmour and just about everything he's done, this one just doesn't resonate with me much. I think I like even About Face better. "There's No Way Out Of Here" is great, and some of the other songs are pretty good ("No Way", "Raise My Rent", "I Can't Breathe Anymore"), but I'm just not a big fan of the rest. I mean, I enjoy it when I'm listening to it, but it's rather forgettable. And I don't have the urge to listen to it much. Plus "It's Deafinitely" brings the part down. I might like it better if the songs were shorter and there were more of them, but in the end it's the quality that's lacking.

14. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Here's the original, which Gilmour produced. It already sounded quite a bit ilke Pink Floyd.

15. Sparkler

Sparkler Senior Member

I voted "essential" because it is for me - I love it! I often think that Dave needed to get this album out of his system after the grueling Animals tour. There's not much, if any, "angry Dave" playing here and his quintessential tone is on full-bodied display here albeit in the context of the 4-5 minute song structure. I think it holds together really well and I don't consider any of the tracks to be weak . I suppose "It's Deafinitely" is the closest thing to a throwaway if I had to come up with one naff tack.

16. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

I love it, though I'd love it even more if the songs were Longer.....

Malina likes this.
  17. Regginold31

Regginold31 Forum Resident

It has at least one great song (Short and Sweet) which immediately places it above any Roger Waters solo album; Roger seeming to concentrate on making rock lyrics rather than rock music. Here's Roy Harper's version:

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  18. Johnny Reb

Honestly, I might too! The songs are too long to be great 3-minute rock songs and too short to be epics...

19. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I have to say that this strikes me as a strange line of reasoning. It almost sounds like you're giving it a perfect score purely on the basis of the connection to the Pink Floyd brand, rather than judging it on its own merits. The band that made Piper at the Gates of Dawn is almost completely different from one that made A Momentary Lapse of Reason (which features virtually none of the core members of the band apart from Gilmour, who obviously didn't appear on the debut). Any band that has been around for a long time is likely to have gone through significant line up and/or stylistic changes over time, or else they run the risk of the old formula growing stale. The freeform psychedelic sound that they developed on their early albums like A Saucerful of Secrets and More sounds very little like what they did on the Waters dominated The Final Cut. As the power dynamics within the group shifted, the approach to songwriting and their whole sonic palette was considerably different by the early 80s. It's not surprising that there are different camps of fans--the Syd fans, the Waters fans, or those who prefer the Gilmour/Wright axis--that often strongly disagree about the relative quality of their output over time and it's possible for fans to passionately love certain albums while disliking others. As a longtime fan, I've always been interested in following what they were up to, even when the results were sometimes mixed, but I rarely listen to anything past The Wall at this point.

20. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

PS: Unicorn's three albums are all pretty good and kind of answer the musical question, "What if Pink Floyd had been a country-rock band?"

21. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

my favorite album from him, or anything done by any of them after The Wall.

played it to death at art college, always on while we were working the late hours away.

bluesky and Hardy Melville like this.
  22. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

umm. It is an attempt at an 80's pop album. well, side 1 anyway. side 2 has all my favourite songs from the album like
    you know im right, cruise, lets get metaphysical, the end.

The only song i like from side 1 is until we sleep.

so, it has great stuff but again. it is a bit of a pop sellout album. like Roger waters' radio kaos.
    i recommend to gilmour fans. but in the grand scheme of things i rate is so-so.

I voted so-so.

23. Johnny Reb

Wrong album! This is the s/t one from '78.

24. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

LMAO

oh lord.

hold up let me change my vote. sigh :p

Johnny Reb likes this.
  25. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

A "Meh" album for me. I never find myself wanting to listen to it. Maybe I'll spin it again (thanks to this thread)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.