POLL: How do you rate Paul McCartney/Wings "At The Speed Of Sound" album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Nov 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi

Level I:
    Ram
    Venus and Mars

Level II:
    Flowers in the Dirt
    London Town
    At the Speed of Sound
    Off the Ground
    Tug of War
    Driving Rain

Level III:
    New
    McCartney
    Flaming Pie
    Back To the Egg
    Press To Play
    Memory Almost Full

Level IV:
    Red Rose Speedway
    Chaos and Creation
    Band on the Run

Level V:
    Wild Life
    Choba b CCCP
    Run Devil Run
    McCartney II
    Pipes of Peace
    Broad Street

2. Frank

Frank Senior Member

theMess and linclink like this.
  3. As an old Leveler myself... The first Levels are close enough to be only a half-step apart...very strong quality through IIa... after that the drop offs come in full steps...

Level I:
    Band On The Run
    Flaming Pie
    Chaos & Creation In The Backyard

Level Ia:
    Ram
    Back To The Egg
    Tug Of War
    Off The Ground
    Memory Almost Full
    Electric Arguments
    New

Level II:
    Venus & Mars
    Flowers In The Dirt
    Driving Rain

Level IIa:
    McCartney
    Red Rose Speedway

Level IIIa:
    Wild Life
    Wings At The Speed Of Sound
    London Town

Level IVa:
    McCartney II
    Press To Play
    Pipes Of Peace

4. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I hadn't listened to this album again since the DCC version was first released. After trying to listen to all of the new hi-res 2014 files, but finding myself skipping through most of the songs, I realize I hate this album even more now than I ever have. Even the 2 or 3 songs I had in my mind that weren't too bad (and no, none of those are the "hits") didn't keep my interest for the whole song. All the rest of the songs hit me like nails on a chalkboard same as they always have.

5. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

The 2014 remaster is one of the best CDs I've ever heard! Stunning!

theMess likes this.
  6. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I've been listening to the new vinyl remaster recently. Still love the hit singles and this album still holds a certain nostalgic charm for me, but with the perspective of time overall this Lp seems to me to be a typical mid '70s album. Could have been released by a number of groups. Lyrically lazy, if not altogether weak, even the hit singles. This is the album that ruined McCartney's reputation as a lyricist. McCartney who could be a great lyricist, turned out bewildering lines like, "The Mayor of Baltimore is here After days now he can finally appear / Now at last he's here / But he never is gonna get my vote / 'cause he never is gonna get a quote / from the little note / that you never wrote to me" in 'The Note You Never Wrote'. Huh? That makes absolutely no sense in the context of the song whatsoever. Or "And she comes out at night / She's takin' me by surprise / she's my baby / Like gravy, down to the last drop / I keep mopping her up / yeah yeah yeah / she's my baby" What?

One good thing from the re-issue, I have a greater appreciation of 'San Ferry Anne' and 'Warm & Beautiful'. Both are great tracks. Don't understand how they're left off comps.

BTW, does anyone else think that McCartney's voice sounds very different on this album? Anybody know what's going on there?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
    mrjinks likes this.
  7. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

I voted lower tier. By my count there are 3 really strong tracks: Silly Love Songs, San Ferry Anne and Must Do Something About It. The rest is forgettable or worse, and "She's My Baby" is one of Paul's most cringe-inducing tracks ever. While it's true the sound quality is much better than V&M, most of the songs sound like they were tossed off in five minutes, writing-wise. That said, Silly Love Songs is an unappreciated (except by Paul fans) masterpiece.

8. "Time To Hide" and "Beware My Love" are the secret weapons on this album--top drawer songs.

theMess and vitorbastos123 like this.
  9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Especially when played live! :righton:

theMess and wayneklein like this.
  10. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

"She's My Baby" is great and you know it! Too much nostalgia involved for me to judge this one rationally but I like every song.

theMess likes this.
  11. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

Oh lordy, please tell me you're joking. Please? Or do you like "I Am Your Singer" too? "She's My Baby" is one of very few Paul songs in which I can find no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

12. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

"She's My Baby" is not a great song, but it's pleasant enough.

13. Frank

Frank Senior Member

I like "She's My Baby" believe it or not. Moppin' it up.

theMess likes this.
  14. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

I went with not bad. That's actually a lot better than I'd have thought before I sat down and looked at the track listing. I remembered it as one of his less-impressive efforts, and it does have its share of duds, but where it's good, it's great.

15. dpv2008

dpv2008 Forum Resident

One of my favorite albums.

theMess likes this.
  16. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

It's rubbish. Only two good songs on it.

17. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I wouldn't say his greatest, but the good is very good, so I'd say essential.

I love She's My Baby, it's that R&B groove, and I love the mopping it up background.

The live version of Beware My Love is good, but I like the studio version just as much. I like that acoustic opening.

I like singing, so the other members getting a shot is great to me.

Wino Junko
    Time To Hide
    Must Do Something About It - Joe English can sing.

Silly Love Songs - A pop masterpiece!

Yeah, essential for me.

theMess likes this.
  18. Norbert Becker

Norbert Becker Senior Member

Not bad. McCartney s voice is in its worst shape (see Warm and Beautiful) and with the upcoming tour this album has a rushed meeting deadlines feel to it.

19. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I voted for Not Bad. The caveat I always place on reviews like this is that even the bad stuff is better than most everyone else's good stuff.

Beware My Love, Wino Junko, Must Do Something About It (my favourite song on the album), San Ferry Anne and Warm and Beautiful are keepers but there are flaws in everything else on the album:

The Note You Never Wrote has awful lyrics are trash and the melody is dull; She's My Baby has a fun enough tune but, again, is lyrically embarrassing. Let 'Em In and Silly Love Songs are okay but they just go on too long for me. I prefer the promo edits of both. Time To Hide is a fine song but the recording/performance just lacks any energy. The live version, however, is another matter entirely. It's fabulous.

And that leaves Cook of the House, which would have been a fine B side but really shouldn't have been on the album: Linda just didn't have a good voice and having her sing a song about cooking just played to a lazy stereotype.

So there you go: some good stuff but too much of it is tarnished in some way.

20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You really think McCartney's voice was in bad shape during the recording of the album? And by "worst shape", do you mean "up until that point" or "ever"? Because I'd kill to hear Macca sing that "poorly" now! :)

theMess likes this.
  21. Norbert Becker

Norbert Becker Senior Member

I meant up to that point. He seems to be straining and his voice has a lot less power, maybe from smoking?

I was really expecting more song writing wise after the previous 2 albums, and this was supposed to be such a group album. Of course, Jimmy and Joe had such great performing and singing abilities. Only Beware My Love really stood out as an inspired song. The rest seemed rather insubstantial when I first listened to it.

Again, compared to the other post Beatles work to that point (excepting Wild Life, which seems to have its fair share of misses), this album does not hold up and maybe the bar was a bit too high.

22. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

An embarrassment.

23. Sill Nyro

Sill Nyro Forum Resident

Not bad. There are some good songs on it.

24. CrombyMouse

CrombyMouse Forum Resident

Actually I also do like "Cook of the House". The arrangement is tasty and Linda vocal sounds twee even though she couldn't sing live.

Folknik likes this.
  25. CrombyMouse

CrombyMouse Forum Resident

I feel ambivalent towards this album. It has two instant Macca classics - "Let 'em in" & "Silly Love Songs", later is one of my favorites. It is very well recorded and sounds the best among Macca 70s albums. But it also has forgettable tunes especially sang by Laine whose vocal I personally cannot tolerate. "Wino Junko" is OK, especially its ending dynamics. I also really dig "Cook of the House".

So I rate it as Not bad - some GREAT tracks, but plenty forgettable songs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.