POLL: How do you rate Paul McCartney & Wings "Back To The Egg" album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, May 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Favorite album of Paul's. After many listens, "To You" became my favorite track - a real rocker.

supermd likes this.
  2. Voted for "Clearly one of his best solo works - essential listening for Paul fans "
    My very top tier would be "Band On The Run", 'Flaming Pie", "Chaos & Creation In The Backyard" & quite probably "New"
    The next to the top tier is where "Back To The Egg" lies, alongside "Ram", "Tug Of War", "Memory Almost Full", "Electric Arguments" & "Off The Ground".
    Adding things up here it certainly makes my top ten, in a logjam for 5-10.

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  3. supermd

supermd Senior Member

That's a track I always forget about until it comes on. Great song. :)

4. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Not bad - some good/some not so good. A few decent rock songs.

5. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

McCartney has very few "complete" albums, so it's all about how many great and good tracks there are.

It just doesn't have any great tracks - Getting Closer comes close.

So for me, it is one of his weaker outputs of the 70's.

6. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

And one "don't answer" was enough.
    I can't stand the repeat of "wiper" and "sniper" by the background vocals.
    Salamander is a great lyric itself.

7. Craig Torso

Craig Torso Active Member

I voted Clearly One of His Best. Now, if you had asked me the same question when it was released, I would have said it was a pretty crappy. A couple years ago I pulled it off the shelf, and realized I really hadn't listened to it in more than twenty years. Plopped it on the turntable and was, frankly, startled by how good the album was and by how wrong my initial reaction had been. It's since become a real fave, and I push it on anyone who will listen. Happy to say, made some converts too.

Now, my problem is my original copy got lost in a recent move, Do I spring for a near mint CBS pressing, hunt down an EMI Electrola copy, or wait for the archive edition which may, or may not, be in the cards. I hat decisions, so this can be a new sub poll if you like.....

8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Clearly one of his best solo works - essential listening for Paul fans"

Love the album - of the 70s albums, I only prefer "Ram", "BOTR" and maybe "V&M" of the studio stuff...

9. Gerbaby

Gerbaby Forum Resident

Could not agree more. The whole tune,intro,vocal,rhythm track and his voice and playing were never better.

linclink likes this.
  10. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

Have to say I'm a little surprised the results here are virtually identical to the New poll. Would that happen with any Paul album? 60% rate it good/great; 20% fair; 20% poor/awful? Gotta wonder how Ram/Chaos or Wild Life/Pipes of Peace might do with the same scale ... maybe a thought for the future.

11. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

For me, one of his low points.

12. Dandelion1967

Dandelion1967 My Favourite Parks Are Car Parks

One of the best and the MOST underrated Macca album ever.

pdenny, Revolver and Big Pasi like this.
  13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Generic at the time
    Dunno what a younger listener will think of it.
    There a few choice cuts, juicy..and well worth a listen.
    Jeff Lynne must have loved the ELO homage album cover.
    Much prefer London Town more organic and feels like a lurking concept album.
    Back to ....the egg.:)
    Quite simply it rocks.

14. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

This album was a teaser to what probably would have been a killer follow-up album had the Japan pot fiasco not happened. A more rocking 'Tug Of War'/'Pipes Of Peace' album possibly? War And Peace? It takes an album or two for a band to get really gelling.

15. HeavensAbove

HeavensAbove Forum Resident

Solid 70's Macca, though not my absolute favorite from the era. Would have been greatly improved if the 2 tracks from the Goodnight Tonight single replaced one of the medleys on Side Two. Quality-wise, it falls somewhere in the middle, IMO:

(from fave to least fave):
    BOTR
    Ram
    Red Rose Speedway
    Venus and Mars
    London Town
    Back to the Egg
    Speed of Sound
    McCartney
    Wild Life

16. Rocco

Rocco Find My Way

I had it and listened to it the summer of 79. I loved it and listened to it over and over. In fact, I saw another copy at Salvation Army for 99 Cents on Saturday and listened to it several time this week! I remember my friends saying I hate that song about the salamander, but to me it rocked and it was catchy so that's what mattered. Rockestra Theme, and So Glad To See You Here would be acclaimed as two of his best rockers if they were on a Beatles album.

17. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

One of my favorites and it's the Archive Collection edition that I'm looking forward to the most.

18. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I voted not bad. With a little shifting around of tracks and a couple deletions, I created an album I listen to and like.

19. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

I love BACK TO THE EGG! The only track that Paul should have reconsidered is Million Miles, which is short enough to overlook (overlisten?). The Broadcast, while not a really successful experiment, is still admirable for being what it is, which is Paul trying to do something a little different.

20. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

Great feeling over the album. I like the two Rockestra tracks, as well as Arrow Through Me and Baby's Request.
    I think that the little ditties scattered over the record are really charming (The Broadcast, We're Open Tonight, Million Miles)

21. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

I played it a few months ago, I can't remember a darned thing from it. Although there were a few months between the singles and the album, how you keep off not only "Daytime Nighttime Suffering" by "Goodnight Tonight" too.

22. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

See the forum rules. That is prohibited.

23. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

He was clearly stung by the wimp label that had dogged him since....well, since he started putting out nothing but wimpy records. It was an earnest enough attempt to recapture his rock mojo, but it rang mostly false.

Remy likes this.
  24. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

It's my favorite Paul album. The Broadcast is a stinker, but the rest of the album is really good...close to great. "Flaming Pie" is my second favorite Paul album. I could never see the praise garnered by "Band on the Run"...I prefer "Red Rose Speedway" to it.

gramfan likes this.
  25. Elton

Elton I Hope Being Helpful, Will Make Me Look Cool

I enjoy this album. One of the last of the "Rock and Roll McCartney." He never got to work "So Glad to See You Here"and "Getting Closer" in a concert becuse he didn't tour (much) for this record. Now there just 'old' song from a 'bad record. I wish he would give these song a chance again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.