POLL: How do you rate Paul McCartney & Wings "Back To The Egg" album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, May 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bart

Bart Forum Resident

Definitely in the 'underrated' category for me.

theMess likes this.
  2. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

Love this album...played it all the time when it came out and still pull it out today and give it a listen....even better on CD with the bonus track "Daytime Nighttime Suffering"
    The only track I had a problem with was "To You" just thought something was unfinished about it...but really love the variety of the whole album...
    From "Getting Closer" and "Old Siam Sir" to "Love awake/Winter Rose" and "Baby's Request".....

3. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

I've just recently got around to this album in my covering Macca's post-Beatles albums, and I love it. It's got some great songs, strong melodies and Paul and WINGS sound great.

jeatleboe likes this.
  4. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I now have come to feel that BACK TO THE EGG is THE one most underrated album from Paul.

Brother Maynard likes this.
  5. misko

misko Forum Resident

This is one of Paul's best LPs. There are signature tracks that are definitive Macca. Catchy melodies that stick in your head. "Cage" should have been left on the album.

6. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Can't agree, I'm afraid. Just too much filler and too many embarrassing lyrics for me. But to each his/her own. FWIW, side 1 is fabulous, side 2 just falls apart at the seams.

ralph7109 and Fastnbulbous like this.
  7. supermd

supermd Senior Member

While I agree, side 2 is an interesting mess, and one that has grown on me. But yeah, side 1 is great.

8. Paul H

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the album but I just can't define it as "one of his best" or "essential". It just isn't to me.

9. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

I view it as much like many of his albums, i.e. 2 or 3 extremely good tracks, 2 or 3 bad / cringeworthy ones and the rest somewhere in between. However, it is one of my favourites.

I particularly like Getting Closer and don't mind the "My Salamander" lyric at all. My other favourites are We're Open Tonight, Again and Again and Again and (to my surprise) the Rockestra tracks - not that I'd argue that these are by any means the "best" tracks on the album.

I enjoy all of the many videos too. ;)

10. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

I must be one of the few fans of Eleanor's Dream - though the dream sequence in the film really is pants!!

11. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I think an "egg" description would have been more apt here. You know, like "the egg cracks open on side 2" or "you get a bunch of undercooked scrambled eggs on side 2"; or something along those lines. The word "Seams" reminds me of "Trousers", and then I think "Rutles" ... ;)

theMess and DLant like this.
  12. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Was listening to So Glad To See You Here and man does that song rock!

It's just another that McCartney should be performing live.

It's all a matter of taste, as far as songs go, I'd take Getting Closer over Band On The Run. I absolutely love them both, but GC has that drive that I love.

Baby's Request is another that I love, McCartney's vocal is so amazing on that song, his singing should be a rock and roll treasure, in his vocal prime the man was truly awesome!

I don't think his singing gets the credit it truly deserves!

vince, theMess and DLant like this.
  13. videoman

videoman Senior Member

My 2nd fav McCartney album. But it's really more of a guilty pleasure than anything else, I think. So while I personally rate it high, it's not one I'd necessarily recommend to other people.

14. RamblinRed

RamblinRed Forum Resident

I really like this album. In the thread on rating all his post-Beatles albums I had this at #4. Now recognize that my #4-9 are basically so close that any day those positions change. So tomorrow i might have it as a #9.

Not the first record i would have someone listen to - but if they liked one or two others that i would pick then I would definately have this one ready to recommend.

DLant likes this.
  15. Paul H

Yes, inspiration failed me. I must be cracking.

Arnold Grove likes this.
  16. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

This is pretty cool. I'd think someone would've posted it before, but I don't recall seeing it here. I'm still watching, but I'm guessing it's all of "side four" of the Kampuchea lp, but there are also some snippets of other songs thrown in which didn't make that album. It's about 40 mins total. Makes one salivate for a BTTE Archive edition. Enjoy!

EDIT: I'd heard the audio, but never seen the footage, of Paul shooting down the Fab Reunion Rumor for that night ("it's not John Lennon, as has been rumored...").

EDIT#2: ok, only 28 mins of Kampuchea, but then it goes into Japan tour rehearsals. Very cool...

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
    theMess likes this.
  17. mrjinks

Gotta bump this once, before it sinks like a stone. I hadn't seen the Kampuchea footage for YEARS before last night...

They should've thrown some on The McCartney Years DVD.

theMess likes this.
  18. nsm

nsm Forum Resident

My favourite, only let down by not having Cage & Daytime Nightime Suffering on it & including Baby's Request which sticks out like a sore thumb, just like You Gave The Answer off Venus & Mars & English Tea off Chaos.

19. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Thanks for this!

Watched for Getting Closer.
    Got 17 seconds of Getting Closer.
    Still more than I got of Again and Again and Again or Old Siam Sir.
    WTF happened to the BTTE tracks?
    Coming Up is among the coolest songs ever.
    Reaffirms my assertion that 1975-1979 Paul voice was the most versatile Paul voice.
    WTF robot?
    The director sure thought that mirror effect was cool.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
    theMess and mrjinks like this.
  20. mrjinks

Paul liked his robots even back then. :)

Having heard the audio of the full show, I vaguely remember he made a reference to that robot prior to Goodnight Tonight (that it "kept the rhythm" or something along those lines...

theMess likes this.
  21. mrjinks

While thumbing through the used (vinyl) bin the other day, I saw a familiar looking album cover. Anyone ever seen/heard this thing? It appeared to have no relation to Paul, other than the cover...

[they really did a good job with the lighting and poses, I must say]
    [​IMG]

Btw, if anyone is late to the party with the various album polls for Paul that I ran, here's a link to the "final" results and to all the individual polls - you can still vote if you missed a few:
    A summary of the "How do you rate Paul McCartney's Albums?" polls... »

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
    Hep Alien and theMess like this.
  22. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

I rate it highly. It's not chock full of hits but he put together a tight band with this lineup of Wings. Lots of potential. It didn't sell very well and McCartney scrapped it and got on with "Tug of War" instead. I love that album but sometimes I wished he wasn't so fast to move from one thing to another and maybe stopped to develop projects a litte more.

Hep Alien likes this.
  23. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Is this new? Are they known to be McCartney/Wings fans?

24. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

No kidding. I'd have to imagine the reference is lost on a lot of their fans, whoever that band is. Maybe the joke's on me.

Hep Alien and theMess like this.
  25. mrjinks

No idea, but I did find this helpful comment on an Amazon review of the album:
    The Cover art is a Play on some old poster for something, theirs a mystery in that. possibly a John Cusack thing.​
    :D

theMess likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.