POLL: How do you rate Paul McCartney & Wings "Red Rose Speedway" album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Jul 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I give it "solid effort ", and on the high end of that tier. Just below McCartney and Venus and Mars, and just a smidgen above Flaming Pie.

I first heard this album, upon release, on a program called "FM Jukebox", on NHK radio (Japan's version of the BBC). An hour and fifty minute program, initially they'd play entire albums. By the time RRS came out, they were playing 20-25 minutes or so of one record (perhaps they were warned off by the record companies?). So my initial RRS was superb as it was a broadcast of the strongest tracks.

2. Mumbojunk

Mumbojunk Forum Resident

Can see why this would've damaged Macca's reputation back in the day, and I'm surprised by the love for it on this board. It's not bad (my vote in the poll), but my least favourite Wings album. Very 'soft rock', and some of it is half-baked. Loop is just awful and the medley, though fun, is a pale imitation of its Abbey Road predecessor.

That said, it is full of strong tunes. My Love is majestic, and Little Lamb Dragonfly is hauntingly beautiful. I also love Get On The Right Thing. And if he'd included Momma's Little Girl and The Mess, it would've been a much stronger record.

So, another slightly faltering step for Wings. But it got much better after this.

3. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

Not bad, but middle of the road. Plenty of filler.

4. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

It was Wings' 1st #1 album in the USA, probably because of the popularity of the #1 single, "My Love". I don't recall much radio airplay for anything else from the album.

A peek at the Billboard album charts in the USA shows that they were quite Beatle-centric at the time. The #1 album was:

May 26 --- 1967-1970 The Beatles
    June 2 --- Red Rose Speedway Paul McCartney & Wings
    June 9 --- Red Rose Speedway Paul McCartney & Wings
    June 16 --- Red Rose Speedway Paul McCartney & Wings
    June 23 --- Living in the Material World George Harrison
    June 30 --- Living in the Material World George Harrison
    July 7 --- Living in the Material World George Harrison
    July 14 --- Living in the Material World George Harrison

Mumbojunk and Zeki like this.
  5. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

The question should be " how to you get RRS "!

Dave

Peace and love✌

6. Bootleghofner

Bootleghofner Forum Resident

Bought this the day it was released. Quite liked it at the time, but I feel it's very dated.
    Big Barn Bed - OK, not too bad
    My Love - typical Macca schmaltz, never dug it
    Get On The Right Thing - some OK moments, good vocal
    One More Kiss - the less said, the better
    Little Lamb Dragonfly - in one of the reviews in the day, this was compared with the Partridge Family. Nuff said
    Single Pigeon - masterpiece
    When The Night - poor rewrite of Summertime
    Loup - highlight of the album for me, especially the funky bit in the middle. I know you will all say I'm crazy, but I like Macca best when he's experimenting
    Medley - overblown and overproduced rubbish, though I like the 4 songs coming together in the end

So for me it's a weak effort overall with 2 great tunes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.