POLL: How do you rate Paul McCartney's "Chaos & Creation in the Backyard" album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Apr 14, 2015.

1. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

This is such an interesting, illuminating comment that draws on an understanding of music that I don't possess. I guess one might add that the title of the album itself combines a paradox similar to the one you describe. Anyway, love your bit of insight--helps deepen my appreciation of the album!

Paul H and Rob Hughes like this.
  2. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

:tiphat:

3. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Agree - this is a truly fine album. End to end. It has it all.

blutiga, streetlegal and Joti Cover like this.
  4. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

Besides everything I think about the album as a whole (gorgeous), "Anyway" is phenomenal. Underrated, I suspect.

Rob Hughes likes this.
  5. Mumbojunk

Mumbojunk Forum Resident

It's a good album, but I've never understood the love it gets in these parts. It sounds a little self-conscious to me, and the production is somewhat dry and airless. It lacks energy, and some of the songs sound unfinished or not properly thought through (listen to the lyrics of, say, Jenny Wren, At The Mercy or Anyway - there are some good lines in each, but do they actually hang together and tell a cohesive story?). The lyrics to This Never Happened Before make me cringe - real greetings card stuff.

But....on the plus side, the album does have a mood and style unlike any other McCartney record. And there are some fine songs - Riding to Vanity Fair is excellent, as is English Tea and Follow Me. Fine Line is irresistible, and I love the intro to Promise to You Girl. A Certain Softness is another stand-out, one of his best latter-day ballads. B-side Comfort of Love should've been on the album, too.

So there's a lot to enjoy and, if I'm in the right mood, it's a potent listen. I just don't like it as much as many others do. Memory Almost Full is much more my kind of McCartney.

Sean Murdock and moople72 like this.
  6. Rob Hughes

Anyway may be my favorite track. Love it. Glorious.

streetlegal likes this.
  7. Paul H

Paul H Forum Resident

I love how we all like McCartney but often not the same McCartney! For me, Jenny Wren, At The Mercy and Anyway are top level McCartney, Riding to Vanity Fair is middling (I just find it drags) and Follow Me is lame dreck :)

Sean Murdock likes this.
  8. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Essential. In the very top tier of Solo Albums. I'll never forget the first time I heard it. Bought it cold. Before I had found the wonderful world of Internet forums to prime me for new releases. None of the musical minded people I knew could care less about a new McCartney album then or now. I immediately made Cdr's to give to everyone I knew who had even a passing interest in vintage Macca. Check this one out I said :cool:

9. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

Worth getting just for the bass on “Jenny Wren”

10. Mumbojunk

Mumbojunk Forum Resident

I will concede that, apart from its lyrical shortcomings, Anyway is a good song. But At The Mercy is a pretentious jumble, straining to be introspective, deep and profound but - for the most part - failing. Weakest song on the album, IMO.

11. Rob Hughes

Sounds like we disgree: if Anyway is my favorite, At the Mercy is a serious contender for my second-favorite on the album. I also like the lyrics on both, which give some basic shape to the musical mood of weariness and longing. I'm sort of a holistic listener, though -- it doesn't really make sense to me to stringently disassociate the parts of a song and consider them in isolation. So, the lyrics, considered apart from the music, may be just as you say, but since I really never attend to them that way, I have a different experience (of course it may also that we have different standards, or different triggers, for introspection and profundity).