POLL: How do you rate Paul McCartney's "Chaos & Creation in the Backyard" album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Apr 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

Actually it only takes me a few seconds to think about it and know that Ram, Band on the Run, McCartney II, and Electric Arguments are all excellent solo albums that are better than Chaos and Creation, though I put C&C at No 5 on a list of Paul's best work.

P.S. Ram is the best solo album by an ex-Beatle.

2. rjp

rjp Senior Member

never heard 'all things must pass' or 'plastic ono band' i gather?

3. Mr Day

Mr Day Hater of Fools

I have and still prefer Ram.

Those other two are both excellent though.

4. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

No, those flaws would be subjective.

I do believe that’s held against Paul for a lot of his career, critics specifically love artists like Lennon, Dylan or Young because they are often more serious and/or “bleak” while McCartney isn’t most of the time.

I’ll never understand critics/people’s obsession with the struggling, depressed and/or tortured artist. That’s not my style and maybe why I’m such a Paul fan. But I don’t constantly/consistently criticize artists for not being “happy enough” like those who do prefer the darker music. It bothers me a lot, I understand criticism of McCartney but that continues to be a pet peeve of mine.

beatlesfan9091 and Backdrifter62 like this.
  5. paulmccartneyistheman

I know my username is “Paulmccartneyistheman” so anything I have to say about those two albums wont matter. I realize I’m in the minority, but there are hundreds of different albums I would rather hear than those. I do enjoy a little POB about once a year though.

6. Mr Day

Mr Day Hater of Fools

Played it earlier just to make sure I had marked right, and I think I’m happy with my choice. Only English Tea makes me gag a bit. The tunes pretty enough, but the lyrics are too syrupy for my old ears :)

The rest of the album I really enjoyed. I’ll stick it on again later.

7. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

There's a whole lot of competition, actually.
    But it's his best album indeed.
    Better than a few Beatles albums too.

8. tug_of_war

"All Things Must Pass" is not even George's best solo album :whistle:

beatlesfan9091 likes this.
  9. Oh it has several flaws that are absent from most of his 70s and early 80s albums: interesting melodies are rare, hooks are even more scarce, his bass playing is lackluster and his voice has deteriorated. Other than those flaws it a terrific effort.

10. It's the greatest album ever recorded by anyone!!! :agree:

11. tug_of_war

Sounds like you got a bootleg of one of his recent gigs instead of Chaos And Creation.

SteveM likes this.
  12. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I've never been a big fan of English Tea [it is a bit too twee for me], but definitely a solid effort.

I think Fine Line is an outstanding track, but some of the others don't quite live up to the same standard.

Not my favorite, but definitely better than many.

13. paulmccartneyistheman

I don’t like Fine Line, I don’t get that song. It’s a probably subconscious rip off of It’s A Good Day(or whatever the song title is) and I don’t care for the lyrics at all(specifically the “come home brother” bridges)

Of course Anyway is a subconscious rip off of People Get Ready, but it’s one of my favorite Paul songs

14. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I voted: Lower-tier McCartney - only a couple songs worth revisiting, but I don't listen to much of his stuff after 1977 :shrug:

15. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Too Much Rain, Vanity Fair, Jenny Wren, Fine Line & This Never Happend Before 5 songs just there that are Beatle standard songs and up among his best work.
    The other tracks are not too shabby either though Promise To You Girl sounds forced.
    It's a wonderful album, though can see why others might found other records more enjoyable Electric Arguments for one which I love.

Sean Murdock and SteveM like this.
  16. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Listening to the album for the first time ever, using my trusty Denon headphones.

First impression? Really LOUD. It's a pretty fatiguing listen :-(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.