POLL: How do you rate Paul McCartney's "Driving Rain" album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, May 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

I found myself forcing myself to like it, but the replay factor was zilch.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  2. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Yes, it's not a song I would want to play over and over and it's definitely not my favorite song on the album.

3. 905

905 Senior Member

Remember, McCartney scholars agree that Freedom is a bonus track and not part of the proper Driving Rain album.

theMess likes this.
  4. 905

905 Senior Member

That's an interesting thought.
    I haven't listened to Devil in a while, maybe it's time.

Hep Alien likes this.
  5. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I understand your point. Even as I bought this CD very early on after the "album" came out.

Perhaps I did something "improper" when I bought this CD "album" early in the twenty first century when it first came out.

They tacked it on, clearly.

Those Beatles move fast when they need to...

6. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

As I recall, it was the record label that pushed to include Freedom on the album after Paul played it at the Concert for NYC. I'm sure it seemed like a good idea at the time.

theMess likes this.
  7. jricc

jricc Senior Member

This... well put Dr Beatle.

DrBeatle likes this.
  8. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I really like it. It sounds fresh to me.If someone described " Spinning On An Axis" to me and I had never heard it, I would have thought, sorry, not for me,but I like it. The same thing goes for "She's Given Up Talking". " Your Way" sounds like a Ram outtake, which is fine with me. I think " Your Loving Flame" is a strong ballad. The album has a diversity I like and there is nothing on the album I actually dislike. I must admit though, I'm a music guy , not so much a lyrics guy, so things like the lyrics to " Driving Rain" don't bother me because the sound of it is good.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
    andy75, PhoffiFozz and theMess like this.
  9. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

This is a great summary. I am the same way. I CAN be a lyrics guy, but naturally, I am a music guy and sometimes it takes me many years to discover what lyrics really mean or if they are really brilliant or really poor. And by that time, if the music has already moved me, I doesn't matter one way or another.

"Spinning On an Axis" and "She's Giving Up Talking" still get regular listens from me. (among others) These are really interesting productions and cool ideas for songs. They are also just a couple examples out of probably hundreds as to why I find McCartney's solo career so interesting and diverse.

theMess and Glenn Christense like this.
  10. jricc

jricc Senior Member

I am much more of a music guy as well. This is why I personally, don't like She's Giving Up Talking, I just can't the find the melody in it.
    But, to each his own.:cheers:

Hep Alien and theMess like this.
  11. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

Well, I agree there's not much of a melody, but I love the sounds and the groove and I think the more simplistic melody fits it. I love the distorted bass. I love all styles and types of music. Although I do understand why people wouldn't like the song, I still love it.

jricc and theMess like this.
  12. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I am really interested in hearing the 4 songs from the sessions that were not used. From what was said about them by the band and by the Billboard journalist who heard them, the album could have been a classic had they been included.

Hep Alien and jricc like this.
  13. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

I guess I'd place it somewhere in between "not bad" and a "solid effort." Mostly, I think it's a pretty strong album, so I voted "solid effort." Lonely Road, From a Lover, Driving Rain, and Your Loving Flame are among his best of the stretch from Flaming Pie through today. Then there's a handful of those little gems that might not get a ton of regular play from me, but are always great to hear when I play the album, like About You, I Do, and Magic. The album itself gets a lot of replay from me.

theMess and Hep Alien like this.
  14. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

I voted top tier for this one. "Heather" alone has one of the most irresistible melodies the guy ever wrote and when you add in the bass gymnastics that go on before the final verse, it becomes an all-time classic. As for the rest of the album, I feel it's a very solid, focused collection that has no embarrassing lyrics that marred just about every album since BOTR. Even the highly praised 'Flaming Pie' has pure garbage like "Used To Be Bad" and "Really Love You" (my candidate for his worst song EVER).

Lots to like here, much of which has already been dIscussed on this thread. I love the experimentation that runs throughout. While I might not love every track to pieces, I at least like all of them and respect the guy for still trying new things at age 59 (there's nothing in his catalogue quite like "Jaipur" or "Raindrops"). The production is top notch, with a full bodied sound that's missing from the following few albums. Also, to me this is the last album where Paul still had his recognizable voice. Starting with 'Chaos', his voice has sounded more like an old man and nothing resembling the familiar Beatles / Wings Paul. As with all classic McCartney albums, some tracks have grown on me quite a bit. When I first heard "From A Lover", I did NOT like it. After a few spins, it grew on me tremendously. Knowing when the odd time jumps are coming helped me appreciate this song. This one and (especially) "Back In The Sunshine Again" are as revealing as he gets emotionally on record. You can really sense his loss of Linda on those two tracks and hear his determination to soldier on and be cheerful again. That final "no more WORRRRRIIEESSS!!" in "Sunshine" cinches it for me. This is the sound of a guy trying to convince himself that things will be okay again...someday. That emotional howl gives me shivers every time I hear it.

Why this album continues to be slammed by so many baffles me.

15. erocky

erocky Senior Member

I love the first two songs. They are both great songs in my opinion. I also feel like they are different for McCartney. The first track Lonely Road reminds me of Lennon's Plastic Ono Band. From a lover to a friend is a very melancholy song and a very strange first single but I love it. After that, the record is filled with throw away tracks. Driving Rain is a decent song. This record just seems so indulgent and bloated. What was the 10 minute song towards the end? I can't remember the name of it now but mercy, why?

heatherly likes this.
  16. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Please go back and listen to "Heather" and then say if you still feel it's indulgent and bloated. For me, this song has all the quintessential hallmarks of everything I love about Macca, from the timeless melody to the great bass playing and the terrific vocal harmonies...what's not to love?

Hep Alien and theMess like this.
  17. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

I don't rate it at all...

The title track is particularly atrocious, IMHO. :hide:

18. jricc

jricc Senior Member

The title?:whistle:

Hep Alien likes this.
  19. majoyenrac

majoyenrac Forum Resident

Decidedly not bad

Given the roll he was on (and continues to be on) driving rain is a small side step.

The highlights are as good as any of his highlights:
    Title track
    From a lover to a friend
    Lonely road
    And the great your loving flame

But it's a bit over produced and under thought plus way too long

3/5-solid

20. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

After Paul recorded Freedom, I seem to recall a second disc added to the exterior of the packaging and then later added to the album itself.

I appreciate what he was trying to with the song, but to me it sounded like a chorus without any verses. I want to like this album, but I really only get into Lonely Road and Your Loving Flame

21. 905

905 Senior Member

I'm surprised this album didn't sell better. I remember the great reviews at the time, but I guess people were waiting for Springsteen's The Rising.

22. rjp

rjp Senior Member

quite possibly the single worst album in a catalog of not very good overall albums.....and that is saying a lot.

23. 905

905 Senior Member

I wonder why I like this album so much.
    I know, you dig what you like but c'mon, there has to be a reason. I think it's in McCartney's top five albums while most say it's just alright or bad. I must of been in a great mood the day I first heard it or something.

daveidmarx likes this.
  24. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I think I only like 5 tracks on this one. Some of the lyrics on the good songs still needed a re-work. Is he too proud to ask Costello for help?

25. A handful of good songs, but very inconsistent and way too long. Obviously lower tier McCartney for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.