POLL: How do you rate Paul McCartney's "Kisses on the Bottom" album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Dec 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

The first Macca album I kept up with the release of, I was in middle school. My Valentine was a thrill to hear in late 2011 because it was a new Paul McCartney song!!

Nowadays I put it on, and quite enjoy it, but not too often. Maybe 2 or 3 times a year. Only Our Hearts, I think, was the better original song..

Daytripn and theMess like this.
  2. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Love it!

Being a cartoonist, it wonderful to listen to when I'm busy at my drawing board.

3. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Again, it's difficult to rate this as part of a main McCartney discography. It's an outlier. Really well done but have to give it a mid-tier ranking. Would go one rank up if kept in a separate "covers albums" list.

Daytripn, theMess and warewolf95 like this.
  4. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I am a great admirer of the great american songbook and the likes of Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald and many other.
    Most rock/pop-singers attempt at this music is very flat but there are exeptions. Willie Nelson,Harry Nilson and recently Bob Dylan are examples of artists who have made great albums within this genre.?Paul McCartney another one. His KOTB has a wonderful, low-key, autentic backing from Dina Kralls band, very good arrangements,at least one beilliant McCartney original in My Valentine and very good singing from Paul
    I frankly don t understand those who claim Paul doesn t sing well on this album. He certanely does-some vocals here are stunning like his reading of Bye,bye blackbird or Get yourself another fool
    A brilliant album all the way

Daytripn, Dr. Pepper and Zeki like this.
  5. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

I think it's solid. It does what you expect it to - which I appreciate.

My Valentine is classic, imo. Just a great track.

The rest of it is throwaway, but in a good way. This wasn't meant to be the next Band On The Run or anything - just an agreeable diversion, ya know?

In otherwords, I can forgive it. :)

6. Klassik

Klassik Guerilla BeatLOLogist

I totally hated the idea of the album and was just ignoring it when I happened to log onto iTunes one night at exactly the start time for Live at Capitol Studios, like, erm...LIVE and that (at about 2am UK time, I seem to remember)
    Having a very negative attitude to this project, I was caught out totally and really thought it was all brilliantly done and that these live takes were generally much better than those on the album.
    So much so that I play Live at Capitol Studios occasionally when in a mellow frame. I have tried switching to the KOTB album itself but it's just not cookin'.

theMess likes this.
  7. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I've just got the blu ray delivered today. Lovely booklet style, far better than I was expecting (Thought I'd just get a bog standard blu ray plastic case). Instead it's something similar to the New Deluxe Edition or Rock Show booklets. Very happy :winkgrin:

8. tagomago

tagomago Original Wrapper

Never heard it. It's terrible.

9. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

Heard it many times during the first week. Never got back to it again. I don't know, but I don't like his vocals, and the arrangements. Maybe once in a while I would listen it again, but it's not the type of material I love Paul for. Would have loved an album of jazz-like songs of his own though.

10. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

I'm not much of a fan of the album myself. But if you've never heard it, how can you rate it as terrible?

11. Kliph

Kliph Senior Member

I was "ok" with the Album, until I saw the DVD - If you enjoy this album, you need to find the DVD and
    watch. ALL of the musicians are fantastic. It's worth the price just to try and figure out why Joe Walsh
    is there - he plays on a couple of tunes and steals the show.

........Kliph

Daytripn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.