POLL: How do you rate Paul McCartney's "McCartney II" album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Jul 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

Only 2 throwaways in this one for me, and I genuinely love the sound.

2. 905

905 Senior Member

When the weather starts to get cold I play this. :agree:
    It's going to be close to 80 degrees later this week so it will have to wait though.

Jerry Horne likes this.
  3. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I love M2, partly because it was released the year I was graduating high school, and so I have a lot of attachment to it. It took me a few listens to appreciate, but I quickly came to enjoy it for being so outrageously different a sound from Paul.

Peter Pyle likes this.
  4. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

I thought this one was awful.

5. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

Clearly one of his best works - essential listening for non-Paul fans

is what i would rank it as.

6. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

I voted the first option.

A great, great album that puts a smile on my face. Definitely a winter album, which is funny when you realize it was recorded in the summer of 1979 and released the following spring.
    It's production and adventurous spirit remind me of FM's Tusk, which is from the same timeframe (I can imagine Lindsey Buckingham enjoying this).
    A deliberately weird album that always seems too short on running time.
    The Deluxe version is the way to go with this one. :righton:

7. Peter Pyle

Peter Pyle Forum Resident

Interesting experimental album for Paul. Different isn't always a bad thing, so I give it a thumbs up. But also glad he moved on later.

Beatles Floyd likes this.
  8. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

Lower tier.

I admire the experimental aspect of the album, but McCartney II is in a world of its own. Perhaps its an acquired taste.

9. Beatlemania 22

Beatlemania 22 Forum Resident

I don't know why but I love this album. Yes, he could have omitted the instrumentals but they don't annoy me. And what an album it would have been if he only had added Secret Friend which I consider to be his best experimental track. Voted "a pretty solid effort..."

10. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I know why........., 'coz, IT'S AWESOME!!:goodie:

drasil, theMess and Beatlemania 22 like this.
  11. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

I was pretty late in coming to appreciate it, but now I love it.

theMess likes this.
  12. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Listened to it yet again, I have the same opinion, except for maybe three okay I'll stretch to four songs, it's his absolute worst along with the Fireman.

Just don't like this direction from McCartney!

13. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I thought it was a refreshing return to form after the only okay 'Speed Of Sound' and 'Back To The Egg' albums and the absolutely dreadful 'London Town.'

Unfortunately, it was not to last and sappy MOR ballads with the likes of Stevie Wonder and Michael Jackson would dominate the next few years and my interest would evaporate.

Mc II is the last Paul album I have.

vince likes this.
  14. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Dude... you need to at least give "Rushes" a try...

theMess and Beatlemania 22 like this.
  15. Prudence1964

Prudence1964 Forum Resident

Get electric arguments

theMess likes this.
  16. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Essential listening- there is no other album like McCartney II in Paul's discography. But I'd like it even if it was the sole album made by Joe Shmoe. McCartney II was ahead of its time in a lot of ways, which is both a strength and a weakness about the project as a whole. Twenty eight years on, Electric Arguments was a natural progression.

drasil likes this.
  17. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

This was an album I didn't - with some exceptions- like at all from the beginning. After some odd 20 years I really started to get into it and now it s one of my very favourite Macca albums. The deluxe archiwe-edition is definively my fave archiwe-release.
    This album shows Paul playing the studio like never before or after. No thinking of what s commercial or not-just seemingly doing what came to his mind. His use of electronics is masterful and along the way we find some gorgeous melodies. Pop, funk , Ballads,blues , skiffle, electronics , ambient it s all there
    Just like another of Paus masterworks Ram this album doesn't t really sound like anything else- it exists very much in it s own weird world.It gives a rather unique insight in Paul's musical mind and as such must be considered essential listening for any admirer of the art of McCartney
    A real keeper and a true work of pop-art- not only before it s time but in a time of it s own
    The great thing is that it still gets better for me
    Love it

18. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Perhaps the most one McCartney that still sounds fresh today.... This and Ram, Rushes and Electric Argumentrs are the four picks that I recommend to any person that think Paul is just about Silly Love Songs.

19. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

What can I say? On the weekend I was listening to the album and my wife came in as "Front Parlour" was on...she obviously didn't remember hearing the song before and ended up paying me a fine compliment: "Is this a new song you've been working on?" my wife asked me, being quite familiar with my own electronic music:righton:.

"I'll take that as a compliment, honey, but no, it's Paul McCartney."
    "Really?!":laugh:

MRT, Zeki, DrAftershave and 2 others like this.
  20. I had never heard this album back in the day, but recently I've been on a Macca kick and decided to close some gaps in my collection. I picked up the 2 disk remaster (not easy to find cheap now) and must say it is a real surprise. I was only familiar with Coming Up (both the studio and live version) so this was all new to me. I found something to enjoy in almost every song, except Dark Room. I was torn between the "Pretty Solid Effort" and "Not Bad" rating because some of the material is not very engaging and 1 or 2 songs can be annoying to listen to. I decided on the "Not bad", with the caveat that this music will not be for every McCartney fan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.