Poll: How do you rate Paul McCartney's "New" album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Apr 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allen Michael

Allen Michael Fuh you blue

One of his all time best!

theMess likes this.
  2. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I checked one of his best. I'd put it in the top 10, along with Ram, Wild Life, BOTR, V&M, London Town, Tug of War, Pipes of Peace (ducking), Flowers, and Flaming Pie. Which counts as one of his best since he's probably released three times that many non-Beatles albums.

DLant and theMess like this.
  3. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

New album is the best new album ever released- that s a fact

4. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Alligator is a great song, it has that McCartney magic all over it, the sounds and the melody are vintage McCartney!

The same for I Can Bet, New, Turned Out, Appreciate, On My Way To Work.

Get Me Out Of Here is just excellent, I always love it when McCartney is in any kind of blues or r&b mode.

Hadn't listened to it in a minute, so this thread made me pull it out, and I haven't stopped listening yet!

Oh yes, it's definitely one of his best!

5. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

As good of a place to ask this as any ...

Does anybody else have "Robber's Ball" flashbacks during the part of "Queenie Eye" right after the bridge?

6. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I've been in therapy for over 25 years trying to get rid of my "Robber's Ball" flashbacks, so I hope not.... ;) Arnie

theMess and Billy Budapest like this.
  7. RayS

Billy Budapest and theMess like this.
  8. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Every time I hear "Two Crazy Partners" in the song Road my mind always fills in "outta see them reel and rock" (from Roll Over Beethoven). :shrug:

9. RayS

Gee, thanks for planting THAT in my head :) ... and just after I had finally moved on from hearing "air sick bags" instead of "hair-slicked back" in "Early Days".

theMess and Digital-G like this.
  10. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident

One if his best! Side 1 is perfect, those song could be in any Beatles album. And side 2 is almost perfect. Love the album.

djost, DLant and theMess like this.
  11. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

I voted "solid effort". He really did put extra effort into this and it shows. New the song would have been no. 1 between 1976 and 1984. Lyrics weren't his best, but not as cringeworthy as some recent dreg. My vote includes the Target bonuses. I also love the sound of the melotron. I wish he had Ringo on the skins for Queenie Eye, New and I Can Bet. I don't mean the Jim Keltner type of arrangement-just Ringo.
    I love Abe, but watching Ringo play his limited bit on the Grammie made me wish they just tried a couple of songs with just the two of them on rhythm section.

Go to Flamming Pie and really listen to I Really Love You. It is a complete throwaway, but ah...it is just Paul's bass and Ringo's drum at the bottom.

The LP?A top ten for me, not a top 5.

theMess likes this.
  12. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Ranks near the bottom along with
    Kisses n The Bottom (Fitting title there.)
    Press To Play
    Wild Life
    Give My Regards To
    Liverpool Oratorio

13. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

It’s one of the most consistently great albums of his solo career-----it’s not “new” anymore----I've had enough distance where I can stick to that comment.

His voice has aged considerably but he’s still an effective singer. Some of his lyric choices my be a bit odd but not in a way which diminishes the overall impact of tune (which has occurred with some of his lesser work in the past).

Way better than I expected as I think the first single---title track----was one of the weaker cuts.

I’ll put it this way----if I paid to see him live and he did the whole album plus bonus tracks straight through (which I realize would never happen) I would not be disappointed one bit---I’d be thrilled. I can’t say that about many of his records since 1975. (I still hold MAF in high regard but this one is an improvement).

theMess likes this.
  14. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I have rated it as clearly one of his best solo works, and I am pleased to see that so many other people have as well. A great, eclectic, experimental and melodic group of songs that keep on getting better the more I hear them. I really hope that he adds Alligator, On My Way To Work and Appreciate to the setlist, seeing as he is sound-checking them. With Early Days getting a music video, I also hope that it is added as well.

Maybe Paul will shake up the setlist once he hits the US.

DLant and AndyNicks like this.
  15. jricc

jricc Senior Member

I'm in between one of his best and solid effort. I was just listening to it today, and for me, it's a freakin' good record.

16. majoyenrac

majoyenrac Forum Resident

It's a very solid album with a timeless vibe. While Memory Almost full was good I'd pick this over it.

There are no songs as instantly classic as dance tonight but there are no bad somgs-something that can be rare on macca solo or wings albums.

I'd give it a 3.5 to 4 out of 5....Paul's solo career post off the ground has been very solid and new is no exception

Highlights: save us, alligator, new and on my way to work

Lowlights: queenie eye --which has a great melody (unfortunately the most catchy tune on the album) and sound but is so cheesy with the "o-u-t spells out (out) with a shadow of a doubt" bit that it grates a bit. If the melody weren't so strong it would be a clunker but it's a near clunker.

Solid album overall. He's had better esp of late but this is in the upper 30-40% of his solo albums/wings albums

17. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Love it. A solid effort.

theMess likes this.
  18. 905

905 Senior Member

It's good but I'm not as big on it as many here.

19. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

20. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I think it's one of his five best. When I throw it on again after a gap in time I'm very pleased all over again to hear how solid it is.

I usually skip Hosanna.

21. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

It s definitevily up there among his best. There are some untouxhables for me - like Ram, BOTR, McCartney but apart for those New is a Stone vild solid effort, Brilliant songs, brilliant production. Didn t expect him to come up with such a strong album in this phase of the career .

22. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

I really enjoyed the album on release and again a few days ago.

theMess likes this.
  23. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

"Road" is a really great tune.

theMess likes this.
  24. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I've been away from it for awhile, but listened again yesterday and yep, it's still a thrill to listen to.

Alligator is just an absolutely wonderful song!

25. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

That really seems to be the love/hate song of the album. I would rate it as one of his most beautiful ever songs myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.