POLL: How do you rate Paul McCartney's "Off The Ground" album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

One or two nice songs, the rest is forgettable (by me at least).

2. AJK74

AJK74 Forum Resident

I listened to it about a month ago. I just couldn't take it in contrast to NEW, which I have had on constantly since it came out. You're right about the production, I'm not overkeen. But mainly I just don't think the quality of the songwriting is up to much. All personal taste, I guess. Get out of my Way is probably my favourite along with C'mon people and maybe Hope of Deliverance.

(Avatar - Yep, from Angel-A, well spotted.)

theMess likes this.
  3. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I definitely get what you mean, especially if you compare it directly to New, which sounds more vibrant and exciting in comparison.

Still, I personally do not see it as a bad album, simply one that is inconsistent, but as you said, it all comes down to personal taste.

Out of interest, have you heard the early version of The Lovers That Never Were, with Costello singing as well? If you have, what do you think of that version?

4. Skywheel

Skywheel Forum Resident

I have found three Paulie albums that were so good I was intently waiting for the follow up.
    Band on the Run was followed by Venus and Mars. I called that adequate.
    Tug of War was followed by Pipes of Peace. I called that disappointing.
    Flowers in the Dirt was followed with Off the Ground. I almost call it adequate.

I voted for "not bad".

5. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Lower tier for me. Considering the amount of very good b-sides this album could have been a truly good one. Some great songs of course but my problem with this album is that is sound so ordinary. The 93 concert I attended was very good though and in that context I sort of enjoyed the songs

Sander likes this.
  6. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

As much as I defend OFF THE GROUND, I must add that I like a lot of the "extra tracks". This could have been an even stronger album if some of the songs were alternated.

Hep Alien and theMess like this.
  7. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

That was me yeah! I think C'Mon People is Paul's Hey Jude of the 90s and Loving Flame of the 00s. I prefer C'Mon People to Hey Jude as well. Think it has much more of a message, more interesting harmonies and a great melody.

8. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I like it, but more for the memories of the times it represents. Here was Paul McCartney, ex-Beatle, former near-recluse, now somehow accessible, on tour again, with tickets easy to get, doing SNL, playing the Up Close show, etc. Saw the tour opener in Las Vegas, stood next to Mary McCartney at Anaheim, met Paul at a reception for Linda's photo exhibit, and ran around collecting all of those CD singles and promos. In retrospect, lyrically pretty weak, but Still like "Hope of Deliverance" and the Costello tracks.

theMess likes this.
  9. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

I'm more a Lennon fan than McCartney but I have come to really respect Paul as the years go on. Plus much of his solo material has aged well, and actually sounds better as time passes, unlike some of Lennon's.

theMess likes this.
  10. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

In that case, I would like to suggest Press To Play for the next thread.

jeatleboe likes this.
  11. I think "Off The Ground" is (along with "Back To The Egg", "Driving Rain" & "Electric Arguments") as underrated a terrific McCartney album as there is.
    "Golden Earth Girl", "I Owe It All To You" & "Winedark Open Sea" are a trilogy of three of the best ballads he's ever written.
    I dig both of the Costello/McManus collaborations "Mistress & Maid" & "The Lovers That Never Were" & the out & out rocker "Get Out Of My Way".
    Lots has been written about the whole positivity theme of this album & of those songs I think "C'mon People" & "Off The Ground" are both terrific & that "Hope Of Deliverance" & "Peace In The Neighborhood" are both good. While I appreciate the idea, & feel of "Looking For Changes", it's heavy handed & a weaker track, but better than "Biker Like An Icon", which is the album's weakest track.

I think the only two I'd cut for sure would be "Looking For Changes" & "Biker Like An Icon"... the best unused Costello/McManus collaboration song was "Tommy's Coming Home", but "25 Fingers" was a fine one too. And there's another lost collaborations song that ended up as a bonus track on later versions of "Flowers In The Dirt" called "Back On My Feet" is that great as well...those other FITD bonus tracks "Flying To My Home" & to a lesser extent "Loveliest Thing" would also be worth considering...I think the case for many of the B-sides being better than tracks on the released album is a bit overstated...though I do dig "Long Leather Coat" & "Down To The River" especially & the "Cosmically Conscious" coda to "C'mon People" is pretty great too...there's probably other B-sides that I liked better than others, but none that come to mind quickly...so I'd opt for either a long single CD, or short double album if we were able to utilize all the tracks possible to do any kind of a make-over/expansion...again, I think the album, as is, only has a few lesser tracks, & is one of his better works without question.

zen archer, theMess and Yorick like this.
  12. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Okay, as long as I never have to play that whole album again. :)

theMess likes this.
  13. Meddle

Meddle Forum Resident

.me too

theMess and Bobby Morrow like this.
  14. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

It's not a classic Paul album to me, but it's cosy enough. Only a couple of songs that make me wince. A few of the tracks would strengthen better albums than this.

15. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I agree with your choices regarding the two weakest tracks, and agree that he should have replaced them with the leftover Costello collaboration songs, like Tommy's Coming Home and So Like Candy. This would have left us with a much more consistent album.

linclink likes this.
  16. I still they'd release some kind of little Box Set of demos, finished tracks, alternate takes & unreleased songs from that McCartney-MacManus/Macca-Costello collaboration era.
    I think there were only two other available song though- "Tommy's Coming Home" & "Twenty Five Fingers" (though at the time I guess "Shallow Grave" was technically probably still available too), but that would have brought it up to 4 songs, which is how many were on "Flowers In The Dirt", & those two would have been my top choices...though if "Back On My Feet" was available that's that great too! Just making "Off The Ground" a bit longer with the collaboration songs & a couple of the best B-sides makes a strong album even stronger.

Outside of "Tommy's Coming Home" & "Twenty-Five Fingers", both of which remain unreleased to this day, those other tracks ended up on either Costello or McCArtney albums & they were dispersed thusly 5 on Costello albums- "So Like Candy", "From A Playboy To A Man", "Veronica", "Pads, Paws & Claws" & "Shallow Grave" (& "Mistress & Maid" & "That Day Is Done" demos that were bonus tracks on a Costello album eventually as well) & 7 on McCartney albums - "My Brave Face", "That Day Is Done", "You Want Her Too", "Don't Be Careless Love", "Back On My Feet", "Mistress & Maid" & "The Lovers That Never Were". 14 tracks total, plenty enough for an album retrospective!! Especially to finally get "Tommy's Coming Home" & "Twenty-Five Fingers" released.

Hep Alien and theMess like this.
  17. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I fully agree, I really hope that they do release them together as a box set at some point.

18. Hokeyboy

Hokeyboy Nudnik of Dinobots

Maccaca. Just not a good album.

19. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

Just a quick note that the title is actually Twenty FINE Fingers - it's mislabeled on the boot...
    I hate to be so contrary, but I've already decided to get rid of the last remaining album that isn't wholly "original" next (hint, hint), thus leaving us with a half dozen of Paul's most ambitious studio efforts to end with!

theMess likes this.
  20. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

everything after Tug of War to me is" Lower-tier McCartney - only a couple songs worth revisiting" I understand people on this group love his 80's and 90's stuff ,but I hardly think its up to his Beatle stuff or best Solo 70's stuff ...

21. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

Not bad overall. I recently listened to it after not hearing it for awhile.
    It was more enjoyable than I remember.

theMess likes this.
  22. Thanks for the heads up on the title...still can't believe that "Tommy's Coming Home" didn't ever make it out...
    "Twenty Fine Fingers" is a good one too though!

"Tommy's Coming Home":
    "Twenty Fine Fingers": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccXohjJR0lQ

And so the one from the 90's "Run Devil Run" is next...then what's left after that would be... 70's: "Ram" and "Venus & Mars"...80's: "Press To Play" & "Tug Of War"....and 00's: "Electric Arguments" & "Chaos & Creation In The Backyard".

And finally, sad, but not surprised, to see "Off The Ground" ending up around 3.0, or slightly less as it stands now...that it is finishing below both "Wings At The Speed Of Sound" & "London Town" and even more so, the even lesser work that is "McCartney II" (one of his poorest 3 along with "Press To Play" & worst of all "Pipes Of Peace") just confirms my feelings of how underrated it is...in fact it'll be lucky to beat out "Wild Life" (which I'd rate about even with "Wings At The Speed Of Sound" & "London Town") at this point.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  23. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

There are some bad tunes but.., to me this album is one of his best albums as a vocalist. He really shines on that level. Also "Hope of Delverance" is one of his greatest singles.

alamo54us and theMess like this.
  24. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

I voted "a pretty solid effort". Great album. My favourites are "Golden Earth Girl", "C'moon People" & "Winedark Open Sea". Even though he has made many nice albums afterwards, I dont think they are as great as this one.

Like the melodies a lot. Paul in top form. Really looking forward to the re-release. Hope it comes out soon. Maybe next in line after "ToW" & "PoP".

theMess likes this.
  25. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Good idea. You have 'formatted' the order of these threads very well so far, and I like the way that you have planned the last few.

mrjinks likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.