POLL: How do you rate Paul McCartney's "Off The Ground" album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

No question that it's one of his best!

Shak Cohen likes this.
  2. Imaginary boy

Imaginary boy Forum Resident

Some great songs: Hope of Deliverance, Golden Earth Girl and Mistress and Maid are excellent master songs and enjoy a lot individually. The rest of the album is Ok but no thrill. Of that era I absolutely love beside the aforementioned, So Like Candy, which McCartney Co-wrote with McManus and was published in Costello's album Mighty like a Rose. It's a pity he did not take it for this album. However I adore Costello's version. There is on you tube a live version a bearded Costello did for TV which is astounding.

theMess likes this.
  3. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

This CD was just delivered to my door. I'm giving it a first listen now, and I'm really enjoying it.

Carlox, Shak Cohen, 905 and 4 others like this.
  4. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I haven't heard this album in its entirety so I will abstain from voting, but what I heard did not inspire me to dig deeper on this one.

5. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Try digging deeper.

6. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Is there a particular song that stands out for you? If "Hope For Deliverance" is the answer, it didn't do much for me. Pleasant enough but forgettable.

7. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

That's one, but also "I Owe It All To You", "Come On People", "Off The Ground". But I guess there are people who don't like those.

8. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

This was Paul's first album to be released after I became a "more-than-casual" fan, so it was the first I was able to anticipate in advance and enjoy the build up, so for that reason alone it will always have a special place in my heart, but also means it's difficult for me to listen to it subjectively.

I'm an unashamed fan of Biker Like An Icon, if that means expulsion from this website then I'll take that on the chin! Golden Earth Girl is a lovely song, despite it being a fairly obvious rehash of Warm & Beautiful, and when you're learning to play guitar (as I was at the time), then Winedark Open Sea is a perfect song to practice noodling a major scale in the key of E over the top of.

Peace In The Neighbourhood, and perhaps controversially the Elvis C collaborations, I can gladly do without.

Overall, very happy memories of this album, very precious to me.

Carlox and Big Pasi like this.
  9. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

I like "Peace in the Neighbourhood" a lot, and also "Looking for Changes". I just love the sound of him and his band on this album. Plus, of course, the "Complete Works" CD has all the collected B-sides, Sweet Sweet Memory, Style Style, Big Boys Bickering which do make one wonder how they missed the cut? Or why didn't he just do a double LP to start?

Shak Cohen and andy75 like this.
  10. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

This is an album, along with Flowers, that I just can't get into as much. A handful of great tracks, some mediocre stuff, and some garbage. I didn't truly LOVE a Paul album after Tug of War until Flaming Pie.

11. zen

zen Senior Member

I voted pretty solid effort - worth recommending.

An old friend of mine (big McCartney fan) and I, got together last night and listened to the Hope of Deliverance EP and a good portion of this album. Still holds up...for us.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
    theMess likes this.
  12. Sander

Sander Senior Member

Lower-tier McCartney for me. It contains a couple of good songs but as others have noted the the B-sides from this era are mostly better than the album tracks. If only...

13. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

I actually like this album, maybe far from his best, but at the same time by far not as bad as some people think. And the band that was playing with Paul at the time IMO was much better then the current one. And I like the way it was recorded/produced, much better than the latest drivel ("New" 2013).

Carlox likes this.
  14. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Here's an interesting thing: I've been collecting Macca for decades. I religiously hunted down the various radio promos of the Off The Ground single, I even checked Eight Arms to make sure I had everything.

And then today, a fellow Forumite sent me a version of the title track I'd never heard before. And it turns out to have been issued on a Dutch CD single back in 1993 that even @lennonology and Mark Easter missed. Who'da thought? You learn something new every day.

You guys are gonna tell me you've known of this all along and couldn't be bothered to update me, aren't you?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
    Hep Alien, theMess and RayS like this.
  15. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Those "OTG" promo mixes are SO much better than the released opener. I've swapped it out on CD-R. Everyone here could make an Off the Ground mix album that basically contains none of the original tracks except remixes and superior b-sides. Maybe the two Costello ones.. those are great as-is.

Jeff

16. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Mistress & Maid, Lovers that never were, title track, all great numbers.

17. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

So what does that make the OTG mix count now? For those (like you) who keep score?

theMess likes this.
  18. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I've got the "Keith Cohen Radio Remix" and "Bob Clearmountain Radio Mix", is this different to those?

19. Paul H

Yep. Clocks in at 3'51". The intro sounds like the Cohen mix but it isn't the same.

20. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

This was his worst. There isn't a song on it I like, except "Winedark Open Sea," which I find just okay. A lot of clunker lyrics and pandering hooks. A must to avoid, unless you are a completist like me, in which case I see it as my punishment for eating meat.

So sad because the band (except for the drummer) is the same as Paul's prior album, Flowers In The Dirt, which is one of my favorites.

AJK74 likes this.
  21. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

one of his worst! if it wasn't signed macca it will finished in the bins

AJK74 likes this.
  22. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Interesting, cheers! I shall have to try and locate a copy of this....

23. JLPMacca

JLPMacca Forum Resident

One of McCartney's best efforts. "C'Mon People", "Winedark Open Sea", "Mistress & Maid", "Get Out of My Way", "Golden Earth Girl" - All great songs. And I've always loved that band he had in the nineties.

Hep Alien, theMess and jeatleboe like this.
  24. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I really like this album, and it would be nice to see what Paul would do for it in his Archives series... even though I know it's going to be a long time before we see this one.

JLPMacca likes this.
  25. Paul H

That would just be the second disc of the Complete Works set. As it happens, I don't agree with you. I think that most of the B sides are B sides. The exception being Kicked Around No More which I think is one of his best songs period, let alone best B sides. Most of the rest are utterly underwhelming and lack the charm of the album tracks. Sure, the sessions produced a large number of genuinely releasable songs but I think it's part of human nature to look at the underdog (ie, a B side) with a less critical eye. Personally, I don't think that Style Style, Sweet Sweet Memories or Cosmically Conscious are album quality, Down To The River is fun but the definition of B side, Long Leather Coat is the poor relation to Looking For Changes and Big Boys Bickering is just too controversial lyrically.

Hep Alien and theMess like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.