POLL: How do you rate Paul McCartney's "Pipes of Peace" album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Aug 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

"Love is all there is, it makes the world go ’round
    Love and only love, it can’t be denied
    No matter what you think about it
    You just won’t be able to do without it
    Take a tip from one who’s tried
    ."

---Blind Boy Grunt

theMess likes this.
  2. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

Touché! But at least that makes SENSE. There aren't awkward :wtf: "love" phrases inserted randomly in the song. If Paul wrote Dylan, we'd get something like:
    There must be some love out here, said the lover to the thief
    There's love everywhere, that's my lover's belief
    Women and men, they love to love, it's why we're on the earth
    And all of us yearn to love, from the moment of our birth

3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I LOVE that!!!

theMess and mrjinks like this.
  4. brianvargo

brianvargo Senior Member

That's not half-bad, you know. As much as I, ahem, love Paul's music, I'm pretty sure he didn't write anything quite that coherent about love between 1972 and 1986, "Silly Love Songs" notwithstanding.

5. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

As always some of the comments are just amazing!

McCartney didn't write anything quite that coherent about love between 1972 and 1986, just absolutely amazing!

My Love
    When The Night
    Call Me Back Again
    I'm Carrying
    Bluebird
    She's My Baby
    Somebody Who Cares

Even if I thought I wouldn't like an album I would still listen to it to see for myself. If I had never heard POP for myself and just went by what some say on this forum, I would miss out on a very enjoyable album. I like McCartney's variety, not every single note no (McCartney II the absolute low point of McCartney's career still to this day) but I wouldn't let someone else's opinion be mine, listen for yourself and then decide!

6. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Sorry -- do you think everyone voting and commenting has done something other than this?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  7. brianvargo

brianvargo Senior Member

Oh, I was only teasing, for goodness' sake.

8. Beatlemania 22

Beatlemania 22 Forum Resident

Today I listened to the whole album. Voted "Lower Tier". Pipes Of Peace is of course a classic, Say Say Say is OK but very overplayed, The Other Me is nice but the lyrics are very, very bad, Keep Under Cover is listenable, So Bad is a nice song, The Man is a bit cringeworthy, Sweetest Little Show is alright, Average Person is mediocre, again the lyrics are terrible, Hey Hey is a nice instrumental but it doesn't do much for me (does it do much for anyone ? :laugh:), Tug Of Peace is terrible, his worst song ever, and Through Our Love is a great ballad, I really like it. I'll give this album a 4/10 or 5/10 if I'm generous ;).

9. David Austin

David Austin Eclectically Coastal

I was torn between 'A pretty solid effort' and 'Not bad'. In the end I went for 'A pretty solid effort' on the grounds that it's very listenable, though hardly a classic. It's well produced with a number a pleasing songs/vocal performances. 'Say Say Say', for instance, could well have been decidedly mediocre, but the conviction in the delivery by Messrs McCartney and Jackson elevates it to 'pretty solid'. It's also worth mentioning one of the lesser tracks, 'Average Person': It's rather twee, but - again - it is elevated to (almost) 'solid' by it's quirky charm (not to everyone's taste admittedly).

The album design is pretty good, too. The gatefold sleeve is well thought out, and the use of a reproduction 78 era Parlophone label is cool.

theMess and Carlox like this.
  10. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

I'm sure that Paul knows what most people (fans) think of "Pipes of Peace", however, this album was the reason for a deluxe edition...
    So why "Press to Play" also cannot be re released under the same conditions? :shrug:

11. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

I always thought the artwork was kinda "off" for this release. The cover photo makes no sense to me and Paul's pose is soooo awkward. Additionally, the pics in the gatefold are poor Polaroids, not like the artsy shots Linda usually provided - plus no musician credits...
    I'll give a thumbs up to the LP labels, but that's about it!

theMess likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.