Poll: How do you rate Pink Floyd's "Obscured by Clouds" album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, Jun 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beefalo

Beefalo Living the high life. Bungalow ranch style....

I stand corrected on the Pompeii quote. Still prefer the version on the box set.

2. TMegginson

TMegginson Forum Resident

It's dwarfed by the albums on either side of it on the discography. But had it not been released in 1972, and instead turned up recently as a "lost" PF album that bridges the evolution between Echoes and Dark Side (probably as a Record Store Day Exclusive, priced at $69.99 for a 45 RPM 10" double EP on groovy-patterned vinyl) it would be hailed as an essential lost classic.

As it is, Obscured is a highly-listenable minor work by a great band.

3. TMegginson

TMegginson Forum Resident

My wife only saw them in the late '80s, as Pink Faux-loyd. But were's Gen-Xers. We didn't go to stoner stadium shows when we were little kids. :wiggle:

footlooseman likes this.
  4. gudnoyez

gudnoyez Forum Resident

Obscured is my #1 with Meddle being #2 I also enjoy More which comes in at #3. Free Four being my favorite Floyd Song.

Beefalo and footlooseman like this.
  5. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

I went with pretty solid effort, worth recommending. Even though they sound a bit incomplete to me, I especially like the first two tracks Obscured by Clouds and When You're In.

Luisboa likes this.
  6. nodbor

nodbor Forum Resident

My least favorite of their 70's output.

Luisboa likes this.
  7. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

Love it. Possibly my favorite of all, def my favorite of the pre- DSOTM albums. It and "More" are the only 2 I bought the vinyl remasters of.
    "Wots...Uh The Deal" is absolutely beautiful, especially on a summers day. The member who called it "just skirting syrup" is just wrong...
    That song, "Cymbaline" and "Grantchester Meadows", take me back to that summer of '85 when I listened to nothing but Floyd.

8. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Meddle, Obscured, Dark Side, WYWH, Animals, and the Wall, almost an unsurpassed string of very good-great albums

9. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Brilliant. Love it.
    The best one of their early film soundtrack albums that explores some proto-'Dark Side' ideas in their embryonic form.

10. CoachD

CoachD Forum Resident

Can't say that I've ever heard it, but I want to get it someday. Somehow I never even new it existed until the last few years....

The Stones, Floyd, Elton, Bowie, et al. just made so many records in the 70's its a real task to procure all of them! (And that's assuming you already stocked up on Zep, Purple, Sabbath, the Who, Yes, King Crimson, and the solo Beatles...)

On the 1st page someone described this record as PF does Grand Funk and Deep Purple. If so, I'm definitely on board!

11. houseofglass83

houseofglass83 Forum Resident

too much sibilance

also, I'll take eggs, sausage, chips and beans and a tea. Thank you.

Biscuit1970 likes this.
  12. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Dave Gilmour's solos on Free Form (the Waters song that sounds like a crappy Spirit in the Sky) are absolutely spectacular - elevating a very average track to ...uh half-decent. The highlight on this album is a track called Stay. Bloody marvellous.

Slim Zooms and Luisboa like this.
  13. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

meh

Luisboa likes this.
  14. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Probably my most played Floyd album during the last 2 years. Love it!

DLD likes this.
  15. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Clearly one of their best works - essential listening for Floyd fans

:love::love::love::love:

lucan_g, Biscuit1970, Runicen and 3 others like this.
  16. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Brilliant!

tug_of_war likes this.
  17. There are live versions of Obscured By Clouds/When You're In and Childhood's End that suggest that had they performed these tracks live for a few months before recording them they could have been so much better.

OBC, the album, was recorded in two shortish sessions in the midst of the Eclipse Tour. My opinion is they were focused on what would become TDSOTM, and they threw together some rather good tracks that could have been even better if left to be developed like they later did with SOYCD, Raving and Drooling and You've Got To Be Crazy and were currently doing with the tracks for TDSOTM.

Tristero and Beefalo like this.
  18. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

:bigeek:

19. gudnoyez

gudnoyez Forum Resident

This tune is what got me into Floyd still my favorite off my most played Floyd album.

Slim Zooms likes this.
  20. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Senior Member

Growing up, never heard any part of this album played on rock radio. When I finally heard it, thought it was released before Meddle, but I discovered it was actually released after Meddle.

Kind of a soundscape album (based on their own soundtrack, of course), one of those Floyd albums where Waters wasn't the main conceptual driving force.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  21. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I voted not bad. While I really enjoy it, in the overall picture of their output I felt that was the right call.

22. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

I really enjoy pre Dark Side PF, and I think this is the album where they really started to turn towards the sound they would keep for most of the 70s. I think it’s very atmospheric and probably the last PF album you can listen to passively and not miss out on something. I definitely recommend it so I picked the second option.

23. Peter Mork

Peter Mork Forum Resident

Never heard the record, but saw La Vallee a few years ago. For those who haven't seen it (probably most of you), it's about a group of people trying to find some sort of mystical valley in New Guinea (there's a map with an area marked "Obscured by clouds"). In the end, they reach it, but then the movie's over, which raises the obvious question, what did they find there? Possible answers:

A fog machine.

A WWII bomber with a skeleton that pops out when they open the door.

A bunch of stoners who go, "man, Floyd was barely in it!".

A Quiznos. Unfortunately, they couldn't buy anything since dumb-ass Viviane gave all her money to those horse traders.

Nothing. It's just a lot of weeds, so they turn around and go home.

A paradise of astonishing beauty, but they ran out of film so you don't get to see it.

24. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

Hey!! Spoiler Alert! Hello!! :mad:

:p

Beefalo and Peter Mork like this.
  25. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

I saw the movie a few years ago. But much earlier than that, when I was 12, I thought the mudmen were aliens. So, IMO, what they see at the end of the movie is an UFO.

Beefalo and Peter Mork like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.