Poll: How do you rate Pink Floyd's "Pulse" album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, May 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum Thread Starter

Lots of great participation as usual! Tomorrow we'll be heading up into the clouds...

2. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

I recently replaced the battery in my CD case; drives the family mad :)

A pretty solid album apart from the slap bass in 'Money', which Guy Pratt has admitted was a pretty dreadful idea!

3. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

Wish I'd bought the vinyl box at the time. Its now way too expensive.

4. Johnny Reb

5. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

2 things sour this for me...

1. shine on you crazy diamond is in edited format...omitting 1 of the solos at the beginning of the song. Dave has been playing this edited version ever since the momentary lapse of reason tour. really disappointing.

2. My 3 favourite division bell tracks were not played. (cluster one/marooned/inside out)

The Revealer likes this.
  6. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

It's a good listen. I'm more than ready for it to reissued on vinyl.

7. RhyeKing77

RhyeKing77 Forum Resident

I bought the CD on the day of release and recall being excited in the lead-up specifically for how the package would look. We had only heard talk on the radio about the blinking light and for some reason I had it in my head that it would in the center of the front cover.

I had only just begun to listen to the band and might of had Dark Side and the Wall so it was a good introduction to other material. I listened to it a lot back then but as I got into the Waters era albums it fell to the wayside. I don't think I have played it in it's entirety in five to ten years. Some of it still holds up to me but I am not a fan of the extended band and backup singers.

Haven't had to change the batteries too many times over the years. It's still a good conversation piece when people see it on the shelf.

8. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

It's been that way since the edit was made for A Collection Of Great Dance Songs. It is a shame as the omitted solo is one of my favourite moments of the song.

pinkrudy likes this.
  9. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Anyone else remember the night this was released they got the Empire State Building to blink red. They made a pretty big deal in NYC promoting this light show they were doing on the ESB to promote the release and that being it was very anticlimactic.

10. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Reminds me of my favourite 30 Rock moment:

pablo fanques likes this.
  11. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Marooned is on the DVD, Bootlegging the Bootleggers feature. Soundboard audio.

pablo fanques likes this.
  12. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

hmmm..I'll check it out. I have the dvd.

but I would have liked the video to go with it...

or if it is the cd then put marooned on the cd. but it wasnt played at earl's court.

13. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Well there is video, that's the bootleg part. Poles Apart is another one on there that's excellent to have.

pinkrudy likes this.
  14. timiller

timiller Forum Resident

I was there both nights. great seats for the down pour night. average seats in the top deck for the clear night. Saw them in San Antonio as well for the second night of the tour. Even getting soaked, it was a great show. I remember walking out afterwards. the drains at the tunnel entrance were blocked up and we all had to wade through about 12" of water to get out of the stadium.
    The first night at Texas Stadium was 8 years to the day and hour (including day of the week - Thursday) from when they played Texas Stadium in 1988. I was there too.

15. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I can't go for top billing, but I had to give it "A pretty solid effort." No, this isn't the rough and ready Floyd revealed in concert recordings from the early '70s, but they're not exactly uninspired here either.

The artwork just oozes mystique, the performances and set list are great, and the sound quality is impeccable.

Granted, I'll cop to the fact that this was one of the first CD sets I ever bought for myself, after "long term" borrowing my Dad's copy a few hundred times. I might even argue that this album was a soundtrack to my teens. So I may be slightly biased, is what I'm saying... :D

driverdrummer and Col like this.
  16. listening to it now for the first time in a long while; i like it but seems over polished to me and lacks a raw edge. My light stopped flashing years ago!

17. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Seven Gilmour Floyd songs too many..

18. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

I replaced the battery in mine about a month ago, it must have had at least half a dozen replacements over the years.

Big Pasi likes this.
  19. Between you and me and the gatepost i eventually binned the cover!! Dont tell anyone though!

Deek57 likes this.
  20. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

It was ok till the battery ran out!

;)
    peace and love✌Dave

21. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Looks like the general concensus is average, which is basically what you get if Roger Waters is taken out of the Pink Floyd equation!

xfilian likes this.
  22. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Solid effort. I do like Pulse better DSOT. The Waterless Floyd were smoother all around on Pulse than DSOT. Bought with blinking light 2 cd set. Got rid of it over the years than finally got the 2 cd again without blinking light.

23. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

When will we see this released again????

24. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I'm pulling out my copy today. Haven't heard it in years.

Johnny Reb likes this.
  25. Johnny Reb

Report back what you think of it! :)

driverdrummer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.