Poll: How do you rate Pink Floyd's "Pulse" album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, May 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claus

Claus Senior Member

PULSE always reminds me, when I met Doug Sax, Gavin Lurssen and James Guthrie during the PULSE mastering session at the Mastering Lab.

2. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

I have always enjoyed the DVD, but as my system got better, I regretted the thin sound quality. I finally got around to purchasing a VHS copy that came still sealed and which sounds really great. It can't be overstated how having proper bass/rhythm representation in playback makes everything sound so much better.

I prefer this now over DSoT despite my nostalgia for that crucial step forward for the band - and a separation point for those unwilling to follow this incarnation. It's a desperate period and I like what desperation does for creativity.

Pulse is better recorded, much more comfortable with itself as a Floyd release, and simply a better planned presentation by the Trio, et. al.

I've grown to love everything about this era of Floyd and so this is must have for me.

kanakaris, Jack and Sevoflurane like this.
  3. Jon Crossland

Jon Crossland Member

Funny... when we did the cover, we had a guy from EMI come by and go through all the possible weird things we could do to the CD packaging to make it different... (thought of thermal packaging that changed color with heat, 3d, etc.) I think Storm said 'can we stick a light on it?' We'd have loved to have done a blue light, but they were too expensive at the time from the company in China that manufactured them. And we did get a kind of perverse kick out of thinking punters would have to destroy the box to change the battery! :)

kevywevy and Hattipper like this.
  4. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I don't listen to Floyd without Roger Waters

5. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Really? How often does he pop round ?

peace and love✌Dave

rikki nadir, Sytze, LarsO and 5 others like this.
  6. Safeway 1

Safeway 1 "mad, bad, and dangerous to know"

Barely registered a "pulse" with me. Call me nuts but I thought The Doors put out better albums without Jim than PF did without Roger.

7. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Classic........Peace

Beaneydave likes this.
  8. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

pretty solid effort.
    There is certainly nothing wrong with this album, and it did get listened to, The blinking light was novel, but it wasn't an album that kept me coming back for decades.
    Someone up there said that there is a dvd of this, is there? that may interest me more. I used to have the delicate sound of thunder vhs back in the day and that was pretty good.

James Bennett likes this.
  9. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Clearly one of their best works - essential listening for Floyd fans

Jack and Sean like this.
  10. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Def essential

11. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Good album. Not the strongest Pink Floyd era by a long shot.

12. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

crap

BDC likes this.
  13. Shame. You should. Its OK, honest.

14. Really? I like it. Playing it now and it sounds good to me. Are you sure you dont like it?

PDK likes this.
  15. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

My red light still blinks after all these years (and a couple battery changes), but I haven't listened to the album since it was released.

James Bennett and Fishoutofwater like this.
  16. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

I voted...

"Clearly one of their best works - essential listening for Floyd fans"

I adore it and have the CD and DvD.

17. Hollow Horse

I can't bear Waters so I'd listen to the Floyd without him any day of the week.

Jack and Fishoutofwater like this.
  18. ScaryMercedes

ScaryMercedes Forum Residents

Agreed! For the longest time I had no idea that there was a different version on the single, and it really amazed me how much better it is. Maybe it's because it's from earlier in the tour, and the band is still getting chills from working through Syd material for the first time in 24 years. Nick is on fire, the vocals are ultra-tight, and Guy plays with a combination of passion and precision not to be found on "classic" renditions. It's probably my favorite reading of the song, eclipsing the studio version and coming close against the 1970 Montreux "Smoking Blues" version (my other favorite).

Lots of Dry Floyd's best moments got delegated to b-sides, come to think of it. I didn't have the time of day for "One Slip" until I heard a live version on some B-side that elevated it to banger status for me.

Runicen and BadJack like this.
  19. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

The presentation and delivery lacked a darkness I expect. That jumping percussionist....was cute.

It looks and sounds like Disney presents Pink Floyd. Fun for the whole family!

Astronime Domine sounded great though.

Not my cup of tea overall.

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  20. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I think the sad part is that, though it was subtle, there was humor in the Floyd up until you hit Wish You Were Here. Don't get me wrong, WYWH and all that came after are great, but there was definitely something lost when it all became so stone-faced and dire all the time afterwards. That there was even a peek of it after Waters left was kind of refreshing in a way.

If nothing else, where else do you go after The Final Cut?

PDK likes this.
  21. Hollow Horse

Unfortunately as I waited until last night when I knew my neighbours were away so I knew I could crank it up...

Disc 2 is just a copy of Disc 1 and without the menu :cussing: very weird and pretty annoying, my suspicions were first aroused by the lack of volume too - we have an (arguably 600w) decent system and on max it didn't make the earth shake.

I understand that as it came from Amazon it's unlikely to be a fake but I have messaged the seller to *cough* voice my disappointment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.