Poll: How do you rate Syd Barrett's "Barrett" album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, Sep 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

... like the Floyd did on "Atom Heart Mother", title track - except the other way round - you mean? :winkgrin:

Chrome_Head and Rfreeman like this.
  2. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I had to go "solid" on this as I have a hard time regarding any of Barrett's solo material as "essential" to the average listener. Frankly, his solo career really has come into focus for me as watching a very fragile person unravel - and he never really recovered from that unraveling, whatever we can say about how quiet his existence from then on ended up being... That makes it hard to enjoy his stuff entirely without guilt.

Now, all that taken into consideration, if you ignore the album's context and the state of its creator, it's a really nice listen with a lot of moods, some really good songs, and some nice (if often nonsensical) imagery. To offer a point of comparison, while I enjoy Robyn Hitchcock's work, I sometimes find him trying a little too hard to be clever and "trippy" and that can grate - just be yourself, dude! With Syd, what you saw was what you got and the album's lyrics never come off as disingenuous or engineered. They just are. That lack of guile is charming in its own way and, again, removed from historical context, make the album rather inviting.

Also, "Baby Lemonade" and "Gigolo Aunt" belong on every playlist. :D

3. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Apparently Syd was heavily into Mandrax at the time (man) and you can tell - though the sort of distant and numb sounding vocals that ensue suit the more melancholy and wistful tracks on the album.

Runicen likes this.
  4. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I agree--the tension in "Wolfpack" just builds and builds until that great madcap release near the end.

Marvelous song, no one else but Barrett could've concocted it.

Syd was almost-certainly mentally ill. Robyn is like a post-modern take on Syd, obviously more studied in his eccentricity. Doesn't make RH a lesser artist, as he's written some outstanding songs.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    Runicen likes this.
  5. Bowland

Bowland Forum Resident

I'm a big fan of Syd's Pink Floyd, but I find all his solo stuff awful, sorry.

6. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

bzfgt likes this.
  7. dsky

dsky Little Blue Light

Dominoes may very well be my favourite track in life. Indescribably beautiful.

It's impossible to rank Syd's three classics, Piper, Madcap, and Barrett, but they do make up my three favourite LPs of all time.

One of art's great tragedies that we didn't get more completed albums from Syd :(

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    tages and Chrome_Head like this.
  8. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I remember buying Madcap Laughs when it was first released. I anxiously ran home and put it on the record player and when Terrapin started playing my heart sank. I thought WTF happened? A great disappointment. But I grew to love it.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  9. JamesLord

JamesLord Forum Resident

I first discovered Floyd through DSOTM and WYWH and heard about their legendary lost leader etc etc. When I first heard Piper I thought it was a joke. "I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like"????? Totally bemused.

Over time (many many years) came to find it interesting, then fascinating and, finally, deeply moving.

10. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

I love Madcap... the sophomore not so much... musically it has too much input from Gilmour & Wright (and I understand why) so it sounds too much like that era Floyd for me...

mr.datsun likes this.
  11. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Much as I like Syd, I can't rate this the same way I do as 'Madcap'. Too many light-weight tunes and daft ditties like 'Effervescing Elephant', 'Baby Lemonade' and 'Gigolo Aunt'. Plus the sound is not as interesting as Madcap. Lacks gravity, force and mass.

Inessential.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    YardByrd likes this.
  12. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

One of Syd's best. I love Dominoes and Rats.

13. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

I try to make excuses for Syd's acid use but that doesn't help the music.

ToneLa likes this.
  14. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

It doesn't need any help.

15. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

It's a sad album. A man unraveling his genius. I sometimes play this when the mood is right.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  16. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Oh, my aching sides.

17. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Effervescing Elephant is ESPECIALLY better than everything after Meddle!

18. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

Correct.

19. I voted so-so. Gigolo Aunt, Baby Lemonade, Wined and Dined and Effervescing Elephant are my favorite tracks.

20. Yeah, and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star smokes Mozart's 40th Symphony!!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  21. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Mozart.

Jose Jones likes this.
  22. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

No, he wrote quite a few things better than TTLS.

23. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Quite possibly, but let's not go there.

24. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

I think it's brilliant. Not in the Syd canon... It might be lower than Madcap (which I think is fine, and I enjoy the chaotic production as Syd never suited gloss) and Piper is a massive high watermark... But within my music collection, a unique piece of art.

But I had a time in my life Pre Syd. When I was aware of the myth but hadn't taken the plunge yet.

... Things are better now. I have Piper, Madcap and Barrett on vinyl, and I am able to amaze and dazzle friends with tunes from his canon.

Barrett is therefore essential to me. Just... Less essential. But that's still pretty damn essential.

25. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Just as an anecdote-in 1972 I flew to England with the express hopes of locating and interviewing Barrett. Came upon some people in Cambridge who were hostile to my seeking him out so didn't pursue it. Just as well for everyone concerned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.