Poll: How do you rate Syd Barrett's "Barrett" album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, Sep 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Or there's the theory put forth as far back as Nicholas Schaffner's Pink Floyd book, that Syd may have already had some mental problems that were exacerbated by LSD use.

The "he tripped out on too much acid" thing is probably overstated, though it was no doubt possibly a factor.

At least he did seem to live out the last of years comfortably, and among his possessions there were psychiatry textbooks found, the implication being that even late in life he was researching his own condition and seemingly aware of it.

Lost In The Flood and Runicen like this.
  2. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

I don't remember what previous biographies of Syd said about him in his last few years but the picture the Chapman book paints seems plausible to me, his sister contributed a lot to it.

3. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

A wonderful album that I return to again and again. Baby Lemonade. Found myself singing Dominoes a few days ago and had to pull the album out again.
    So many unforgettable lyrics:

and the trees by the waving corn stranded
    my legs move the last empty inches to you
    the softness, the warmth from the weather in suspense

braver and braver, a handkerchief waver
    the louder you lips to a loud hailer

there will be wine and drinking in the yard
    there won't be anybody very hard

I'm so happy to have lived with this wonderful album for so long.

4. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

I like this one a little more than Madcap. Not sure if it's essential to a Floyd fan.
    It is to me, a Barrett fan.

Chrome_Head and DTK like this.
  5. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Peter Green's and Syd's trajectories are very different imho. They both get lumped in the "took too much acid" club by various parties with an angle to push when the truth is more complicated.
    Green never had the kind of breakdown that Syd reportedly did. When he quit Fleetwood Mac, in a responsible manner, he was at the top of his game and lucid. His illness appeared gradually after he had basically left the music business.

But what's similar is that both were highly artistic and sensitive people with, seemingly, underlying issues and a certain disdain for the music business who should probably have stayed away from drugs. Not everyone is cut out for the corporate grind.

6. I just ordered this book. What sold me is that he got to interview family members and flesh out the picture of his last years.

bzfgt likes this.
  7. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I'm reading it now, as it so happens.

8. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

One neighbour said that in a tabloid. Don't believe everything you read.

bleachershane likes this.
  9. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

What did the Chapman book say?

Dark Globe was a downer, man...

10. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Ordered a copy of A Very Irregular Head. Anything to counter-balance Dark Globe...

ToneLa likes this.
  11. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

Yeah maybe I should get a different Syd bio. If there's one thing I'd like from my Syd worship, it would be something to puncture the awful image of him screaming and smashing up the house full of regrets about his past.

Neighbours speaking to a tabloid is one thing. Shame on Dark Globe's author if he's peddling salacious non truth and slopping those tales into an otherwise fine book. There's enough sadness in the Syd story without exaggerated tabloid claims.

Runicen likes this.
  12. JamesLord

JamesLord Forum Resident

Whilst 'A Very Irregular Head' is a much more positive assessment and digs deep into the literary references in Syds lyrics. I don't think it is quite fair to refer Dark Globe as though it were a tabloid hatchet job. It is far from that.

Whilst I never met him I did use to live about half a mile away from Syd in Cambridge in the latter part of his life and I know folks who encountered him regularly. Sadly, many of the distressing stories are true. He was generally quiet and private and sometimes pleasant but did have some 'episodes' that were noisy or destructive.

I have read all the books and the 'real' Syd remains fascinating but elusive (even his band mates and friends can't really agree about what happened to him and why). Was he an intensely creative artist who decided to withdraw from a distasteful industry or a schizophrenic or an acid casualty? Probably a bit of all three. The man himself was complex and damaged and had no desire (or capability?) to explain himself.

asdf35, Pete Puma, Runicen and 3 others like this.
  13. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Opel - coming tomorrow.

bzfgt and Chrome_Head like this.
  14. Johnny Reb

Runicen likes this.
  15. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

The final ramblings of poor old Syd. Lower tier but I prefer it to anything that came after Wish You Were Here.

ToneLa likes this.
  16. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I am posting so it doesn't post what I wrote and decided not to post next time I post.

17. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

Johnny Reb and Chrome_Head like this.
  18. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

19. Johnny Reb

This one hasn't been active for well over a year... Here's hoping for some new votes!

bzfgt likes this.
  20. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Good. But not as.... errrr..... coherent as "The Madcap Laughs". :evil:

21. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Rated "Barrett" as essential and clearly one of the best.

I see old comments above about Julian Palacios' 'Dark Globe' book being a downer? I didn't get that at all, aside from the fact that Syd's biography is a downer.

'Dark Globe' was the best Syd bio I've read, and it filled in all the backstory on London counter-culture in ways the other books hadn't. There's also quite a lot of unique analysis of Syd's lyrics scattered through the book. It's very dense, and for some reason I keep it on hand for casual reading.

Chapman's book was like an extended magazine article. That book got all the glory and recognition but was merely adequate. If anything, Chapman's book felt more like a tabloid than 'Dark Globe'.

...But the best Syd book, of course is David Parker's 'Random Precision' recording sessions! I hope we get the full soundtrack in a giant boxset one day. Kickstarter it, please Barrett Estate.

Felix Atagong, Chris M and bzfgt like this.
  22. Alberto Balsalm

Alberto Balsalm Active Member

Contains some of his best lyrics IMO. It Is Obvious is damn fine poetry. Also Dominoes has THE best backward guitar solo ever recorded. Supergrass’ backward solo on Wait For The Sun is a close second.

Love the artwork, the mood but most of all the lyrics.

timnor and bzfgt like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.