POLL: In which decade was radio the most enjoyable?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Oldies trivia guy, Jul 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

The 70's?!?
    No friggin' way!!!

2. audiomixer

...with a lot of over-bloated crap!

3. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

Amen.

"Symphony Sid" gets slagged a lot for his over-the-top announcing style, but can you imagine tuning in to local late-night radio in New York City and hearing a live broadcast of Charlie Parker? I truly enjoy those old jazz and country live broadcasts that managed to get reissued years later, it is like listening to a time capsule from the past.

chervokas likes this.
  4. audiomixer

:hurl:

5. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

1965-1974

lazydawg58 and Atmospheric like this.
  6. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

AM radio was wonderfully full of diversity in the 1960s. But FM radio in the 1970s was on a whole other astral plane.

7. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

It’s gotta be the 70s... and I wasnt even listening yet...

8. Bigbudukks

Bigbudukks Older, but no wiser.

What about the 1930's? People loved listening to the radio back then. The whole family used to gather 'round and listen.

audiomixer and Fullbug like this.
  9. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

I personally didn’t find that enjoyable.

10. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

1970s no contest, and looks like its leading by a good margin. Which of course makes perfect sense to me!

11. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

I'd be interested to see how many people picked a decade during which they weren't a teenager or young adult.

Ignatius and Fullbug like this.
  12. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

I picked the 60s, teenager in the 70s. Some of those 70s songs are forever stuck in my head though, whether I liked them or not.

audiomixer likes this.
  13. Oldies trivia guy

Oldies trivia guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

For those of you that were not a part of 50's & 60's top 40 radio, did you realize that many records were produced and mixed with AM fidelity in mind? Phil Spector's style is a perfect example. A hot mix was used to fill up that "hollow" sound of AM . The advent of FM brought about a more "natural" production.

MikeM likes this.
  14. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

To me it doesn't neatly divide into decades. The period of free-form FM rock radio, roughly 1968-75, represents the peak for me. You could turn on a station like KMET FM in Los Angeles and, in rapid succession, hear Jimi Hendrix, John Prine, and then someone you'd never, ever heard of. But the marketing drones swooped in pretty quickly and started reducing things to formulas.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  15. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

I think this is the correct answer. The mid sixties AM top 40 was such an eclectic mix it is hard to beat. Then by the early 70s FM radio emerged and there were album rock stations that introduced us to the deep cuts, extended versions of bands not geared for 2:30 singles. Also country radio was pretty darn good during this period as well.

Scope J likes this.
  16. lazydawg58

I picked the time frame from age 7-16. Those songs from my pre-teen years, Brandy, Buttercup, Backfield in Motion, Galveston, Wendy, etc. are forever special in my mind.

17. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Can we put this claim to rest? I've seen a number of posts from people naming the best decade as being one in which they were NOT a teenager.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  18. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Apart from Galveston, which I presume refers to the Jimmy Webb/Glen Campbell song, I have no idea which songs these are.

19. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

If you can believe stories, they used to gather round and WATCH.

Bigbudukks likes this.
  20. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

You are very lucky to not be familiar with those songs. Think sugary AM hits.

21. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

70s for me (UK). Not the Top 50 but things like the John Peel Show, In Concert (taping shows onto reel-to-reel, then later onto cassette), Alan Freeman's Saturday afternoon rock show, documentary series like "Beatles At The Beeb", "The Story Of Pop", Stones, Bowie docs, ...
    A special memory of taping the Hendrix BBC sessions, way before their official release.

22. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

you already voted...mid to late 60's own it..it's ok.....

23. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

why would you laugh at that?...it is a distinction.......not to be laughed at...but appreciated..

24. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

If one decade had to be picked, I'd go with the 70's.

But it's really about 1967 -- with the beginning of freeform FM (no Program Director "Playlists") till about 1976, when the quality of the music being produced started to drop off, IMO.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  25. lazydawg58

Build Me Up Buttercup - The Foundations 1968
    Backfield in Motion - Mel and Tim 1969
    Brandy - Looking Glass 1972
    Wendy- The Association 1967
    Galveston - Glen Campbell 1969

These were all pop big top 40 hits in the United States, back when AM radio ruled the airwaves. I was between the ages of 9 and 14 when they came out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.