POLL: In which decade was radio the most enjoyable?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Oldies trivia guy, Jul 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

Ouch!!! Pop music isn't a bad thing. 2:45 of fun music has it's place. :wave:

TimM likes this.
  2. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

In my area we had lots of interesting and influential stations, starting with WABC in the sixties.
    I picked the seventies, but only because of WNEW. I also listened to WPLJ for a while.
    I wish I could have picked up WLIR, which would have made the eighties great, but instead it was WHTG, a pretty fine alternative station here in Jersey. Also lots of college radio (including the one I was on, WRSU at Rutgers) as well as WPRB (Princeton), WSOU (Seton Hall), and WFUV (Fordham). A little WDHA as well, for a slightly different rock perspective.
    I hate to admit it but I did go though a smooth jazz phase in the eighties, so that was CD101.9.
    In the nineties it was K-ROCK and Howard Stern.

3. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

The 70's by a nose

4. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I thought Build Me Up Buttercup was awful, but Brandy and Galveston were OK. I don't know the other two. Are you sure you don't mean "Windy" rather than "Wendy"?

Incidentally this might be of interest - a very different version of Galveston from the one you are probably familiar with, this one by the guy who wrote it:

5. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

I will go with my 1965-1975 decade

6. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

No slagging from me. Those broadcasts are great, I'm so glad we have a record of them. But think about that era when between what was on nationwide networks and what was on local stations, you might hear live music from Ellington or Bird or Hank Williams or the Carter Family or the company of the Metropolitan Opera...and you might hear radio dramas and mysteries and comedy routines...it wasn't just people spinning records, it was the electronic hearth and it was lots of live performances either remote or in-studio. These later eras of radio in our living memory don't really hold up to that, not in the US.

signothetimes53 likes this.
  7. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

^^ It must be wonderful living in the US if you like Country - and dreadful if you don't.

8. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

It is hard to find real country music on the radio in the U.S. anymore. But then, terrestrial radio is a dying/shrinking medium these days in terms of listeners, who now have enormous numbers of alternatives.

9. searing75

searing75 Forum Resident

10. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

If you mean watered down all hat no cattle pop schlock then wonderful might apply.
    If you mean authentic country music from a time and place which no longer exists then it's pretty dreadful right now.

11. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

I voted when I was aged 7 or 8, it seemed exciting, that was until the presenters began to think they were the entertainment and the only reason you'd tuned in.:blah:

12. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

The 60’s, if for no other reason than you’d hear Beatles, Ray Charles, Sinatra, Roger Miller, The Statler Brotherrs and Four Tops in the same playlist.

And.....

I was 9 - 19 years old.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  13. lazydawg58

Windy, just a typo. Backfield in Motion from Mel and Tim was a novelty kind of song, a play on words using American football terminology. Buttercup is very catchy typical pop, but if you don't care much for pop......Brandy was a song that I remember every band that ever played on a flatbed truck for a street dance had on their playlist. To me what is great about music from the past are the memories they bring up in your mind. These songs and lots of others do that for me.

14. lazydawg58

The "country music" radio format doesn't exist anymore, with a few exceptions. What is billed as country music is anything but. The best radio source for country is usually found on public radio programs on the weekends.

15. Another Steve

Another Steve Senior Member

'60s in the car and in the house. By the '70s, I had a record player at home and 8-track players in the cars. Except for late night radio, listening to WLS out of Chicago or WOWO out of Ft. Wayne while I was going to sleep, radio was mostly pushed aside.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.