POLL: Meryl Streep as an actor

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Moshe, Mar 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages." Thread Starter

I’ve finally decided that she is a good actor.
    Not great.

I still like her, but just in some things.
    Maybe it’s just me, but when I see her in movies, I just see Meryl Streep. Acting.

2. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

Read the book! Out of Africa written by Karen Blixen aka Isak Dinesen is a masterpiece.

3. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I tend to agree with you, I'm not really a big fan of hers I am slightly surprised how she gets nominated for so many Oscars. But I think where we would disagree is that I can acknowledge she is great at her craft and I wouldn't call her films 'melodramas' - to me that word means "a sensational dramatic piece with exaggerated characters and exciting events intended to appeal to the emotions" - I don't really find her acting exaggerated and if there are emotions in the films she is in they are the natural type. Melodramas are like those US daytime drama shows

4. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Not believable you say.

Well I happen to be on a first name basis with a person that has naturally bushy eyebrows and I find him very believable.

[​IMG]

GodShifter likes this.
  5. SandAndGlass

I'm not surprised on the numerous Academy nominations. She does the type of movies that the academy salivates over. All the while completely ignoring other fine actresses performances because they don't fit the Academy's mold.

Yep.

6. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I haven't seen her do comedy well, except for parts of Postcards From the Edge. I have no desire to see the Abba movies.

7. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

I don't care for her, :thumbsdow w/the exception of flick: It's Complicated. :thumbsup: Oh, and I also withstood her in what above poster mentioned, Postcards From The Edge, even enjoying her singing, therein. I did, also, enjoy her in The Devil Wears Prada. I think it's that I enjoy those stories so much & like the other cast members, so I'm able to "put up with" Meryl. :laugh: Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again was so much better, for me, in particular, b/c she was hardly in it; it was mainly a Lily James' vehicle (& she's wonderful!)

Has anyone viewed 1st episode, 2nd season of Big Little Lies?

I tuned in @ a part where she's in car w/Nicole Kidman's character & kids & it's mostly Meryl speaking. I switched it off; the prospect of her in it is ruining Season 2 for me & I'd so enjoyed Season 1 ~ Can anyone let me know...to your knowledge, is she playing a large role in it this season?

This was just after tying to view latest A Star Is Born remake. I lasted w/that, maybe 15 minutes. :laugh: I like the tale & that's why I wanted to see it...enjoy both the classic Judy Garland/James Mason version & Barbra Streisand/Kris Kristofferson. However, I realized how in the world did I ever expect to be able to watch it, while not liking Lady Gaga (of that pop variety, I prefer Katy Perry) & while I do like Bradley Cooper, I really can't stand it when male actors have to take on that "Marlboro" man voice :disgust: At the time, it was Kris Kristofferson's natural voice. Jeff Bridges has also done this...as a young actor, he'd never sounded as he has in later career. Why does Hollywood (still) think in order to sound like a Country music artist, ya need to sound like you've smoked about 2 packs of cigarettes a day for 20 years?! :shrug: :rolleyes:

Anyhow, would really appreciate hearing from any re: Meryl S. & Big Little Lies...thanks! :tiphat:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  8. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I've always thought she was good, but am always baffled by how many nominations she gets. She is good, but not that good. I can think of many all-time great performances in film, and not a single one by her ever comes to mind.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. SandAndGlass

Nor my mind...

10. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

She has been nominated 21 time for Oscars, which is a record. To me that indicates that some of the people voting can't be bothered to watch all the films so they just put her down if she has had a film that year, it's an easy way to do your ballot form. It was like that in the 80's at the Brit awards where Annie Lennox and Kate Bush would get nominated every year as they would struggle to find enough female artists to nominate, regardless of the quality of their work that year.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

She’s overrated

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

I remember her earlier career, when she was mastering all those accents*; she in great in Out of Africa (*Dutch), so she was usually never lazy in her performances. I haven't been too interested in her later career, but thought she was good in Doubt and The Post.

carrick doone likes this.
  13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, those are both very good performances. Streep was the best thing about "The Post", which was otherwise a good-but-not-great "All the President's Men" wannabe. She gave Kay Graham a real character arc without resorting to cheap theatrics. From my review:

"Arguably her best work in years, Streep fully engulfs herself in her role. She gives Graham a true evolution, as the publisher gains confidence and strength as the film progresses but without cheap moves along that path.

Instead, Streep brings inner life to Graham and creates a remarkably three-dimensional character. She makes Graham slightly dithering at times but not a dummy, and her evolution feels utterly natural.

Anyone who thinks Streep doesn’t fully invest in her roles should compare her work as Graham to her turn as Miranda Priestly in 2006’s Devil Wears Prada. Miranda acts as Katharine’s polar opposite, but Streep executes both flawlessly."

Streep also allows "Doubt" to become something more 3-dimensional than might've been the case otherwise. From my review:

" Streep makes Sister Aloysius an interesting twist on the usual “Nunzilla”. It would be very easy to turn her into a stereotypical prudish, stern beast, but Streep veers away from that reading. Sure, we sense that Sister Aloysius is a force to reckon with, but Streep adds compassion and even mild humor to the part. "

14. Oatsdad

I think there's some truth in what your saying - ie, Streep has become such an accepted great actor that Oscar voters may nominate her without really giving it much thought.

However, whether intentional or not, I think your statement feels a bit dismissive of Streep's talent. If she gets "kneejerk" votes, it's because she earned so much praise over such a long period.

If I felt Streep was coasting in recent years, I'd be more inclined to believe that she gets praise/noms due to history, but I think she's as good as ever. I already commented on how good she was in "Post", "Prada" and "Doubt", all movies from relatively recent years.

Looking at her nominations of the 21st century, "August: Osage County" is one where she probably didn't deserve it, but that's also partly because the movie itself kinda sucked.

She's fine in "Jenkins" but probably not Oscar-worthy - also partly because it's not really an "Oscar movie". Neither is "Prada", but Streep is so good in "Prada" that she demanded a nomination, whereas she doesn't elevate the mildly entertaining "Jenkins" in the same way.

"Julia" is another in that batch. Pleasant enough movie but not something that Streep can boost into "Oscar movie"...

15. SandAndGlass

Yes she is...

She has received nominations for worse...

16. Girlpower

Girlpower Senior Member

She could read the phone book and I'd watch and listen in delight.

905, Oatsdad and SRC like this.
  17. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Don’t they all?

How many actors and actresses are truly “character” actors? Especially those in leading roles? Most all just play slight variations of themselves.

I think Streep displays more range than most.

SRC likes this.
  18. Girlpower

Girlpower Senior Member

We are all slight variations of ourselves.

videoman likes this.
  19. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

I thought Florence Foster Jenkins (2016) was pretty much a laugh riot, yet still endearing in its way. Streep was great in it, really sold it so well, so confidently. She's been amazing since The Deer Hunter.

20. Oatsdad

John Houseman did it first! ;)

Girlpower likes this.
  21. Oatsdad

That comment makes zero sense. How is her "Post" character the same as her "Julia" character as her "Doubt" character as her "Prada" character as her "Mamma Mia" character as her... well, you get the point.

People are welcome to hate Streep, but claims she plays the same character make no sense at all...

GoodKitty, Girlpower and SRC like this.
  22. realkilroy

realkilroy Forum Resident

Or you could simply say you disagree with me.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  23. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

I once thought she was a very good actor, but realize she's playing the same part over-and-over.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

So who are all these actors that are better than Meryl Streep?

25. Oatsdad

There are disagreements and there are comments that make no sense in real world terms.

"I don't care for Streep's performances over the last 25 years" - sure, that's an opinion, right on!

"She's been playing the same character, more or less, for the past 25 years" - no logical basis for that statement, as even a cursory glance at her roles shows that she's played a wide variety of roles, such as the ones I mentioned...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.