POLL: Meryl Streep as an actor

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Moshe, Mar 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

She's due next in another Soderbergh comedy Let Them All Talk (not yet released) with Candice Bergen and Diane Wiest.

Lightworker likes this.
  2. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Eeeeek! Thanks for the warning.

3. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

Daisy Ridley & Elizabeth Shue
    Great list!!!

4. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

She's a great actress, but didn't even come close to an Australian accent in "A Cry In The Dark". It's nearly impossible to do our accent and have it sound authentic. Otherwise, love her work. "It's Complicated" is one of our favourites - even Steve Martin plays a good role there.

a customer likes this.
  5. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

She's okay but I always preferred Blythe Danner and Mary Beth Hurt.

6. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I assume the Elvis song will be the theme-song!

DaveySR likes this.
  7. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

I saw him on that tour (Punch The Clock). :)

8. I voted "Great actor, lives up to her reputation", but for me the no one could beat Faye Dunaway on her prime.

a customer likes this.
  9. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Yeah, I went with 'great actor' too. I think perhaps her greatest strength is she's chosen her roles well. Not a lot of easy rides in there.

a customer, Oatsdad and Lance LaSalle like this.
  10. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

predictable

Moshe likes this.
  11. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

Best in comedies and musicals; her dramatic roles are good showcases for her prodigious technique but her heart is in the comedic roles.

12. GeetarFreek

GeetarFreek Forum Resident

My favorite role of her is Doubt, w the great Phillip Seymour Hoffman

she’s great, no doubt not my fave but worthy of respect

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, she was very good in that flick. From my review:

"Streep makes Sister Aloysius an interesting twist on the usual “Nunzilla”. It would be very easy to turn her into a stereotypical prudish, stern beast, but Streep veers away from that reading. Sure, we sense that Sister Aloysius is a force to reckon with, but Streep adds compassion and even mild humor to the part. "

carrick doone and Lance LaSalle like this.
  14. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Meryl Streep is a great screen actor. There should be no doubt about that. If you want evidence (and there’s plenty of it), I direct you to her performance in The Hours.

Stage acting requires an entirely different approach and MS has not appeared on stage for many years (thought she did plenty earlier in her career). As I’m unlikely to see her on stage at any point in the future, I’d say she’s a great SCREEN actor. There have been few as good and (I’d argue) none better.

carrick doone and Lance LaSalle like this.
  15. I haven't seen many of her movies, but I did see Sophie's Choice and Doubt, and those two performances sealed the deal for me, I voted great actor, lives up to her reputation, though I suspect it was Sophie's Choice that cemented that reputation.

BobbyG likes this.
  16. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

Outside of her performance in Death Becomes Her, the other films I've seen have not left any memorable impressions. I don't think she is bad per se, but for the most part I feel her performance are just kind of sterile. She doesn't leave any impression as other actors do, which is why I voted "She's Ok." She does get a lot of hype though.

Moshe likes this.
  17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

If all she'd ever done was the "choice scene" in that flick, she'd have earned her rep! Maybe the most heartbreaking few minutes of cinema I've ever seen...

Mark E. Moon likes this.
  18. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

PLENTY (1985) will always be her high watermark in my estimation. A glorious film with a flawless lead performance

Karnak likes this.
  19. changeling69

changeling69 WorldCitizen

One of the best.

20. rjp

rjp Senior Member

ever

21. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

I like Silkwood and Death Becomes Her, mainly for Kurt Russell, Cher and Goldie Hawn. Other than those two films, I actively avoid Meryl Streep. She bugs the life out of me. She's another sycophantic Hollywood hypocrite. She'll never live down her God comment about Harvey Weinstein.

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  22. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Whenever Duchess, pictured to the left, starts to get emotional around the house we call her "Meryl".

So, I voted "good actor" because her reputation is something that no actor including herself could possibly maintain.

23. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Nor will she ever live down her standing by Polanski in 2003, ignoring what he did, and his complete lack of remorse after that.

Hexwood likes this.
  24. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

She was complicit in all of that and was never held accountable. I think she is grossly overrated. She has never been in any truly iconic, memorable films. A lot of mediocre, forgettable films.

Hexwood likes this.
  25. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Who cares about the awards. They become more irrelevant with each passing year. You act as if it's some objective measurement, instead of the empty, self-congratulatory fanfare that it is. It's only people like you that care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.