POLL - Oasis - Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants - Your Favorite Tracks

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thnkgreen, Jun 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura! Thread Starter

From Wikipedia:

"The album is a modern psychedelic record complete with drum loops, samples, electric sitar, mellotron, synthesizers and backward guitars, resulting in an album more experimental with electronica and heavy psychedelic rock influences. Songs such as "Go Let It Out", the Indian-influenced "Who Feels Love?", and the progressive "Gas Panic!" were a departure from the band's earlier style."

Recorded at Olympic, Supernova Heights (London, England), Wheeler End (Buckinghamshire, England), Château de La Colle Noire (Montauroux, France)

Following closely on the heels of this thread, which is my favorite Oasis album, I'd like to know which tracks are considered your favorites from my least favorite Oasis album (and particularly the track 'I Can See A Liar' - the album cover is meh as well), 2000's Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants.

2. thnkgreen

I see we are in agreement so far about the quality of 'I Can See A Liar' LOL

3. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Love The film Snatch which uses Bushes in a great scene

Humbuster and Two Sheds like this.
  4. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Go Let It Out and WDIAGW are the only decent tracks here, IMO.
    Easily their worst album.

Rufus rag and thnkgreen like this.
  5. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident Forum

I dig ‘carry us all’ and the acoustic versions Of album tracks that were released as Bsides more than many of the album tracks. All in all there are some real clunkers on this record but I loved that Noel finally got some vocal time on this one when it came out.

6. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

'Go Let It Out' live, when Liam's voice was on top form, was a thing of wonder :)

the_doctor and thnkgreen like this.
  7. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

They still didn't learn from 'Be Here Now', and again wasted some of the best material on B-sides. Favourites would be:

Fookin' In The Bushes
    Go Let It Out
    Gas Panic!
    Carry Us All (B-side)
    Full On (B-side)
    Let's All Make Believe (B-side)
    (As Long As They've Got) Cigarettes In Hell (B-side)

I like more B-sides than album tracks!

NunoBento and thnkgreen like this.
  8. hangwire13

hangwire13 Forum Resident

Only a casual Oasis fan here, but l like Go Let it Out.

Rufus rag likes this.
  9. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

The first Oasis album to dissapoint. Only rate Go Let it Out

10. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

I can do without Money, James and Liar, but otherwise, a really good Oasis album.

Some very honest songs from Noel recounting the huge Britpop comedown.

Something darkly epic was going on,

NunoBento and JuanTCB like this.
  11. followmehome

followmehome Forum Resident

They wasted loads of top rate songs as b-sides on the first 2 albums to the point where they wasted another potential albums worth of songs (which could have easily replaced weaker songs like She's Electric and Digsy's Dinner), but certainly not with BNH. Stay Young is the best of the bunch but is way too light for BHN, and not really that much better that the albums slightly weaker songs like Girl In The Dirty Shirt and I Hope, I Think, I Know.

With Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants, only Let's All Make Believe is album worthy I reckon.

This album has some good songs, but the dream is well and truly over - the spark had gone.

cyril sneer likes this.
  12. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Let's All Make Believe should have been on the album, and it should have been a single.

The opening two tracks are amazing. Who Feels Love and Where Did it All Go Wrong I find emotionally impactful and interesting sonically.

The rest I think is just very average, sorry.

13. cyril sneer

cyril sneer Forum Resident

Some decent songs:

****in in the bushes,
    Go let it out,
    Gas panic,
    Where did it all go wrong,
    Roll it over

Of course 'Lets all make believe' should have been an album track.

The rest of the songs on the album and the b-sides are quite poor though and drag the album down into poor/average overall. Its still better than 'Be Here Now' though, in my opinion.

14. gazzaa2

gazzaa2 Forum Resident

It was a big disappointment when it came out. As a full album it's actually pretty good but there's no real classic Oasis tune on it. Heathen Chemistry after it (not a particularly strong album overall) had Little By Little, Stop Crying Your Heart Out and Songbird. Be Here Now had Don't Go Away, Stand By Me and All Around the World.

The 4 singles off this album were decent enough songs: Go Let It Out, Where Did It All Go Wrong, Who Feels Love and Sunday Morning Call but none of them memorable. Where Did It All Go Wrong probably my favorite on it but it was also an apt title as it was a fall from grace from the heady heights of the mid 90s.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    Rufus rag likes this.
  15. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

All of 'em except for "Who Feels Love" - the prodcution annoys me and it just kind of drags on - and "Little James", where I can appreciate the sentiment but the song is just... marginal. "Let's All Make Believe" is an all-time great Oasis track and all in all, I'd say this is the last great Oasis album. The last three have highlights for sure but either Noel began checking out or his songwriting hit a dry spell and, cool though he is, Gem Archer is no Noel Gallagher in that department.

Also, the version of "My Generation" that wound up on a Heathen Chemistry b-side ("She Is Love", maybe?) is from this era and just absolutely rips. I'll even go as far as to say that it's my favorite version of the song, ever. And the "Cigarettes And Alcohol" from Familiar To Millions is ferocious, as well (though the intro/outro is a little much). They really did bring it hard live this tour - those first few tours with Gem & Andy were revitalized and streamlined.

God, I remember when Noel bailed on the tour - that was TWENTY years ago! - and Melody Maker basically ran an Oasis obituary that still ranks as one of my favorite pieces of rock journalism. The jist of it was basically, "You'll never, ever see a band like this again." How true they were. I need to track down my copy and scan it, but here's the cover:

[​IMG]

And dig the Liam mic punch at the 5 minute mark:

I don't think I want them to get back together but goddamn, do I miss what these guys were in their prime.

NunoBento likes this.
  16. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

i like the majority of the album, and i also agree that Let's All Make Believe should have been on the album.
    It came on it's own disc as a bonus when i bought it but it's my favorite track from this albums' sessions.

I am also a huge fan of I Can See A Liar and don't see why some find it to be so terrible...great rockin' tune !

17. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

Disappointing album, but I like:

Go Let It Out
    Who Feels Love?
    Where Did It All Go Wrong?

beatleroadie likes this.
  18. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

It kills me that "Roll It Over" was never played live. Should've been a single.

But overall the album just drags...the two uptempo songs sound, at best, very forced, and one of them ("Put Yer Money...") was my vote for worst track released under the Oasis banner until "Mucky Fingers" a few years later. Yes, i think it's even worse than "Little James."

But the good stuff was good: "Go Let It Out" was one of their best singles, I dig the Kula Shaker-y psychedelia of "Who Feels Love," and "Gas Panic" is a jam.

19. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

My sentiments exactly, though I do have a fondness for F******* in the Bushes, and Let's All Make Believe.

So that's five very strong tracks for me--but only half an album, sadly. Gas Panic is too long and too dark. The rest feels uninspired, just like the aerial photo of NYC on the cover, which doesn't seem to hold any meaning for the band or this album itself.

Two Sheds likes this.
  20. thnkgreen

I find the lyrics 'I can see a liar... standing by the fire...." to be meh

21. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

“Go Let it Out” and, especially, “Where Did It All Go Wrong” (how was that one not a single???) are the high points here by a wide margin.

Although the b-side “As Long As They’ve Got Cigarettes in Hell” would have been one of the best tracks on the album had it been included.

22. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

Glad about this thread....SOTSOG is a great album, IMHO.
    I bought it exactly on the day of release and I remember listening to Go Let It Out on a special Sony mini-site (the band hadn't a proper one as yet).

At the time, I bought this Melody Maker Magazine but, unfortonately, it got lost.
    Having said that, I'd really appreciate if anyone could help me scanning this Noel interview. I remember it being a very cool one, on the writing of the songs. [​IMG]

23. thnkgreen

There’s a copy on eBay right now for $10, I just checked.

Claudio Dirani and The Bishop like this.
  24. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

Thank you....I have no PayPal at the moment due some tech problems: they won't let me use my credit card, as it's linked to another account and I no longer have access to that old account. Actually, I can't find ways to change my phone and e-mail (the e-mail was discontinued a long time ago, so no access).
    Having said that, I won't be able to buy from Ebay.

25. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Great to see a SOTSOG thread. I can't help but laugh when I read that this is "easily" Oasis worst album, when it follows one of the most creative periods for Noel. The problem was the track choice which was driven towards a more Oasisish selection instead of the bleak withdrawal album we should have gotten. Something like this:

Side A
    1. "****in' In The Bushes" (3:19)
    2. "Go Let It Out" (5:32)
    3. "Full On" (4:18)
    4. "Gas Panic!" (6:41)
    5. "Where Did It All Go Wrong?" (semi-acoustic) (4:33)
    Side B
    6. "One Way Road" (4:05)
    7. "Idler's Dream" (3:00)
    8. "Let's All Make Believe" (3:30)
    9. "Just Getting Older" (3:21)
    10. "Roll It Over" (6:32)
    11. "Solve My Mystery" (3:49)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.