Poll: Old or new - PIONEER Electronics logo

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MacGyver, Sep 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Sony had a different logo in the 1950's era (mainly seen on transistor radios). They changed it in the late 1950's, early 1960's. Panasonic had a different logo in the 1960's.

2. ksmitty

ksmitty Senior Member

Original all the way for me, Some things just shouldn't be changed and this is one of them in my opinion. Why mess with something that is a world known product trademark? I just like things to be original I guess.

3. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

Actually, the "new" one is a rehash of their original logo from the 1950's. Check the old magazine ads or the faceplates of their old tube gear and you will see.

The only thing they eliminated was the original symbol which is a mixture of the ohms electrical notation and a tuning fork. I always thought that was pretty cool.

4. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Kenwood?

5. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

Here's a pair of 1950's crossovers. Images pulled from an eBay auction.
    Notice the striking similarity between the Pioneer logo here and the current version. The Ohm/Tuning fork symbol is included.

Attached Files:

6. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

a vintage service manual with the original Pioneer logo.

[​IMG]

7. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

both of those logos mean "some surprisingly good deals on the occasional gem"

8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The original, but i'm old and like nostalgia.

9. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

Not a fan of the current logo.

10. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

No contest... Old all the way...

Remember all their boxes had the blue logo on them...

11. XMIAudioTech

XMIAudioTech New Member

Nope. The current Kenwood logo is what I believe to be its third variation since the company was founded.

-Aaron

12. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Shiny Dog

Old :righton:
    New :hurl:

The old one makes me think of brushed-aluminum paneled 120-watt receivers with flywheel tuning knobs and walnut side panels that weigh 80 lbs. The new one makes me think of black plastic receivers you can get at Best Buy for $100 that you throw away after a couple years.

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I've hated the new logo since the day they introduced it. It looks cheap and crappy, to be sure. (But I've also been very disappointed with the company -- they're a shadow of their former self.)

14. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

15. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

My vote went to the old logo, I'm a traditionalist.

I used to work for Sanyo and they changed their logo during my time there ('83 - '99) from this:

[​IMG]

To this:

[​IMG]

We all hated the new logo.

The vertical lines in the letter "N" signified something but can't recall what

16. pick-me-up

pick-me-up Straight shooter from S/FI

Nowadays everything is changing far too often …

I’m an old fashioned guy.
    Why fix something that is not broken?

17. draftingmonkey

draftingmonkey Deranged Mutant

I prefer the old. How about a little history of Pioneer.

Pioneer is largely a creation of the Matsumoto family. Nozomu Matsumoto was born in Kobe in 1906, the son of a Christian missionary. He inherited his parents' religious faith, which may have played a role in his early desire to bring "technological innovation based on deep emotions" to the Japanese people. Specifically, when Matsumoto heard a new, Western-built phonograph speaker in 1932, he was so struck by its superior tone that he immediately resolved to make such products available in Japan.

In 1936 Matsumoto founded a tiny company called Fukuin Shokai Denki Seisakusho, or Gospel Electric Works. From a workshop in Osaka, Matsumoto and a colleague struggled to devise a "dynamic" speaker like the Philco model Matsumoto had listened to, and after a year of experimentation the A-8 was brought to market in 1937. In recognition of its groundbreaking role Matsumoto christened the speaker Pioneer, and graced it with the corporate logo that was used for decades: the Greek letter omega--symbol of electrical resistance--and a tuning fork.

18. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

It occurred to me seeing this thread today that I hadn't seen MacGyver post here in awhile. Checking his profile, he hasn't posted since December 21st, but he did visit the forum today. Odd.

19. sprocket

sprocket Active Member

I prefer the original.

20. mattstrike

mattstrike New Member

Yep, the typography leaves much to be desired!

21. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

I think we chased him outta here.

22. Tigerwoodkhorns

Tigerwoodkhorns New Member

I think that Pioneer needs to stop putting their logo on what are TAD speakers. (EX series).

23. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

TAD is owned by Pioneer, true?

24. Tigerwoodkhorns

Tigerwoodkhorns New Member

Yes, but they don't need to put their logos on Andrew Jones' creations, that is TAD territory.

25. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.