Poll: Paul McCartney - Flowers In The Dirt (1989 Album) - Top 5 to 7 songs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Pepper, May 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I like My Brave Face, but I always thought that it just wasn't quite there to be a hit, close but something was still missing, it still didn't have that hook.
    A song like I Can Bet has more of a hook to me, I've always thought it should of been the very first song released from the album New.

2. Tord

Tord Forum Resident

My Brave Face
    Rough Ride
    You Want Her Too
    Distractions
    Put It There
    This One
    That Day Is Done

3. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

My 7, in the order they appear, not 1-7:

My Brave Face
    You Want Her Too
    Put It There
    Figure of Eight
    That Day Is Done
    Back on My Feet
    Flying to My Home

Can't believe the latter two were relegated to B sides.

4. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

My Brave Face
    You Want Her Too
    Distractions
    Put It There
    Figure of Eight
    This One
    That Day Is Done

But I like the entire album.
    Had the cassette in 1990 after seeing Paul live in Miami.
    Was one of my very first cds when I got my first cd player in 1992.

From 82-97, 15 years, he had three great albums.
    Tug of War, Flowers in the Dirt and Flamming Pie.

5. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

A solid offering from Sir Paul. “Rough Ride” is the kind of credible rock song that is far too rare in McCartney’s solo work. As one of the few (tasteful) people who voted for “Ou Est La Soleil”, I should offer some explanation. Great groove, lots of fun and not enough lyrics for McCartney to sabotage it with schmaltz or stoned-out nonsense.

theMess, Contact Lost and streetlegal like this.
  6. "My Brave Face"
    "Figure Of Eight"
    "Put It There"
    "This One"
    "That Day Is Done"
    "Motor Of Love"
    "Back On My Feet"
    "Fly Me To My Home"

7. Contact Lost

Contact Lost Forum Resident

I absolutely adore "Ou Est La Soleil". Catchy, groovy, well mixed and mastered with high dynamics (I think DR15 or so on the latest remaster), which is so so rare today. Rough Ride is a good one, but I think it would be better with standard drums. The snare drum sounds too "drum machiney" to me.

8. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Yeah, “Motor” and “How Many People” are terrible. In fact, I’d call “Motor” possibly the worst thing Paul’s ever written (Which is saying something). “Ou’est” is not great either, but listenable I guess.

For me, the album ends with “That Day Is Done” (which makes for a great finish anyhow) and is my favorite song on the album. Everything before that is good or great (I can take or leave “Distractions” though). Very strong as a 10 song album.

Having now heard the demos, early takes, and B-sides though, I’d have to say that many of them are as good, or better, that the finished album.

9. Figure of Eight

Figure of Eight Forum Resident

Ooh, difficult one this, as on most days this is my favourite McCartney album. At the time, this was easily his best since Tug of War, yet I prefer it to even that album.

Gonna choose 7:

1. "My Brave Face" (absolutely perfect pop song)
    2. "You Want Her Too" (revisits the theme of "The Girl is Mine", but does it better)
    3. "Distractions" (very heartfelt lyric that feels very much rooted in real life experience)
    4. "We Got Married" (love the production and arrangement on this, plus Gilmour's guitar playing)
    5. "Figure of Eight" (the song that I'm named after and one of my favourite McCartney songs - love his vocal, and particularly love the change in his voice/melody on "is it betteeeeer" later on in the song)
    6. "This One" (again, a really great lyric and beautiful melody)
    7. "That Day Is Done" (really soulful and bluesy, should be a standard)

Also, I don't have much of a problem with "Motor of Love" beyond the lyric, which could have been better. Musically and production wise I could easily hear it fitting in nicely on a late '80s XTC album...

Price.pittsburgh likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.