POLL: Rolling Stones Immense Album Run 1968--1972....+ 2 More

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychedelic Good Trip, Jul 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

The Rolling Stones amazing album run 1968--1972, Beggars Banquet to Exile On Main Street, was an incredible run.
    Beggars Banquet would be Brian Jones last album before his untimely death 1969, enter Mick Taylor and the Stones were clicking on all cylinders.
    I look back at these albums and think to myself "The Stones were really that good".

Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile On Main Street were all apart of a rolling stones conveyer belt of incredible albums.. Many feel Exile was the last of this amazing album run, I included Goats Head Soup because of the great musicians who worked on the album with the Stones, besides it was released in 1973 only a year after Exile. Get Yer Ya Yas Out is a great live album that was released early in this album run 1970. Love them or hate them I had to include GYYYO and GHS cause at least they were involved with this classic stones band line-up as well as this album run.

Had time this past 4th of July Weekend to spin all these vinyls including the Sticky Fingers box set as well as the newly released 180 gram sticky fingers vinyl.
    It hit me all at once, what an album run it was. In 1970 The Beatles had officially broken up and were the rock music news of the day, understandably so, it was the Fabs. All the while the stones stuck to the music and were pumping out this immense musical output despite the unfortunate untimely death of member Brian Jones.

Pick 2 out of the 6 Stones albums 1968--1973.

ex_mixer, Mitchum and alexpop like this.
  2. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

It would have been much easier if we could have picked four albums from the list of six.

3. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

1. Beggars Banquet
    4. Sticky Fingers 1971

4. johnaltman

johnaltman Forum Resident

BB and Exile

notesfrom, forthlin, godstar and 6 others like this.
  5. Jonboy

Jonboy Forum Resident

Exile and YaYas. Would have voted for Bleed or Sticky instead of YaYas, but Bleed contains one weak track in Country Honk, and Sticky has one track I can't stand (Wild Horses) otherwise it would probably be their strongest album. I LOVE Goats as well :)

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Exile
    Beggars
    Let It Bleed
    Conclusion, there all classics.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  7. duggan

duggan Senior Member

• Beggars Banquet
    • Let it Bleed
    • Sticky Fingers
    • Brussels Affair

8. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Sticky Fingers
    Goats Head Soup

9. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

Beggars Bleed.

10. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

11. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

I'm surprised you included Goats Head Soup. A bit lightweight compared to the others. You could almost include Its Only Rock and Roll in that case. Or Black and Blue, or Some Girls.

My vote is for Let it Bleed followed by Exile.

12. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Exile on Main St. Maybe not the best collection of songs (Sticky Fingers) but it rocks and rolls like few other albums.

13. greenwichsteve

greenwichsteve Well-Known Member

Beggars Banquet was a given for me - with Aftermath my favourite Stones album. Let It Bleed just edged it over Sticky Fingers thanks to Gimme Shelter and Live With Me. Another day it might have been SF for Brown Sugar, Wild Horses and Dead Flowers.

14. K4WA

K4WA Member

I would add IORnR to this list.

pablorkcz, linclink, Haristar and 2 others like this.
  15. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

To choose, to choose... it's IMPOSSIBLE! :help:

16. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member

Let It Bleed
    Sticky Fingers

moonshiner, jmrife, Pete Puma and 2 others like this.
  17. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Begger's
    Exile

18. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Beggars Banquet
    Let It Bleed

SixtiesGuy and Holy Diver like this.
  19. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

So glad to see (at the time of this posting) that "Exile" trails "Sticky," "Let it Bleed" and "Beggar's" by fairly substantial margins.

I just don't get why "Exile" ever gets all these "one of the greatest albums of all time" love. :shrug:

20. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

Per this list, it's:

1- Get Your Ya Ya's Out. To me, the best Stones album. Period. The Stones at their peak and Madison Square Garden their best studio. Most of the songs here bests their studio versions to my ears.

2-Let it Bleed. An very eclectic and transitional collection of songs that bridge Brian's tenure with Mick Taylor's arrival, with Keith doing double duty on many tracks. Gimme Shelter, the title track, Love in Vain, Monkey Man, You Can't Always Get What You Want,...THIS RECORD SHOULD BE PLAYED LOUD! (And often.) BTW, I've always liked Country Honk a lot. The band has done some country flavored songs successfully, and CH is no exception.

BTW, I agree with post #14. IORR is as strong an album as the others, and adds the benefit of their finest songwriting creation and studio performance-Time Waits For No One. That guitar outro moves me still...

Also, I place Silver Train in my top-10 fave Stones tracks. GHS has numerous great and, IMO, under-appreciated moments.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

22. Sidewinder43

Sidewinder43 Forum Resident

Let It Bleed
    Sticky Fingers

23. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

All of the above :)

24. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

The same way as "Plastic Ono Band" by John Lennon gets honoured for being his best album:
    It shows, through good and bad, what they could and what they stood for. Exile is the band at it's most sleaziest and groovy trip. Through blues, stomp, rock, pop and soul, the entire spectre are run through their system and understanding of each style. Beggars, Bleed and Sticky may have way better individual songs, but they doesn't hold up to Exile as a statement of what the band stands for. Experience Exile as a big canvas with mosaic and textures, and you have the complete picture of what the band was all about.

ex_mixer, Dave Hoos, sami and 3 others like this.
  25. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

:laugh:
    Hahahahaha

alexpop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.