Poll: Sgt pepper mono vs stereo

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Meddle, Jan 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I prefer "Kite" and "A Day In The Life" in mono, but George's vocal is buried on the mono "Within You, Without You".

2. I don't dare how many ****ing hours they took to mix the mono this record fickin kicks ass in stereo.

3. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

It's all about the cluck for me.

4. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

I used to hear people go off on how "the mono version is better" since the late 70's.
    When the mono issues were reissued in 1982, the first one I bought was "Pepper", after that I was sold.
    Yes... it's better

I do like the stereo remix that was done for Beatles Rockband, Giles did a great job on that.

One Louder likes this.
  5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Fixing edits is beyond my capability. I still believe a fax machine is just a telephone with a waffle iron attached! :D

rain_king likes this.
  6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Cluck yeah!!!

ralph7109 likes this.
  7. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

I prefer my crappy mono needle drop boot CD that I bought for way too much money as a teen in the late 90s - it really highlights Paul's bass, probably my favorite aspect of the album.

We always hear that "mono was all that mattered to The Beatles themselves," but I seem to remember that Paul specifically requested that the strings on "She's Leaving Home" be left on two tracks and not reduced to a single track to make room for more vocals. Stereo must have mattered a but more than they let on these days.

ParloFax likes this.
  8. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Mono may have mattered more to them when stereo was still a novelty. Mono was all they knew when they were kids discovering Rock and Roll. When stereo crossed over to become the dominant format in the late sixties, The Beatles focused more on stereo with The White Album. The stereo version of The White Album contains the nearly 1 minute longer version of Helter Skelter. They then completely abandoned mono for Abbey Road and Let It Be.

9. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

No contest. Stereo

oldsurferdude and Mazzy like this.
  10. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I chose mono, but I hate the sloppy edit into the Reprise.

Mickey2 likes this.
  11. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

I know this was mixed for the mono - but I prefer the stereo. I think it is an interesting mix which makes great use of the sound-stage for the first time on one of their albums. It was also the 3rd album I ever bought so it just sounds like the right one (to me).

wayneklein likes this.
  12. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

My ultimate version is in the Apple USB......24 bits flac files............and those are STereO, vinyl quality (24 bits) without the hiss.

13. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

The more I'm reading about people's objections to different mono v stereo aspects of the album, the more I've been thinking that this would make quite a bit of sense.... I've been thinking of doing a CD-R and having the 'Side 1' tracks in mono, then going stereo after!

This would mean that the whole mood change on Within You Without You (....even a '3D' effect, of you will..) would be even more pronounced and When I'm 64 wouldn't have to sound like The Chipmunks! :D Also, we'd not have the problem of the clunky edit and you'd have the preferred (to many) mix of ADIT!

YES- I've made a note to do it!! :)

I've thought of doing that in the past as well!! :agree:

14. Psychedelic music should never be listened to in mono. There should be a law.

15. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Pepper isn't psychedelic, except for Lucy perhaps...and that one sounds better in mono with the phased vocals...just my 2 cents.

OneStepBeyond and One Louder like this.
  16. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

:righton: +1

17. Expert Textpert

Expert Textpert Well-Known Member

Apart from the faster mono mix of She's Leaving Home, I prefer the stereo version of Pepper.

18. Might have been a great idea: the first "mono transmutes into stereo along the way" album ever!

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  19. Yes it was first mixed for mono but then stereo. Love the stereo better. how many films to you like the directors cut better. Usually they are overblown and excessive.

20. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Mono.

But, it has to have some ass behind it like the 2009 CD. Can't be all generic meh-output like the Capitol rainbow I have.

Drifter likes this.
  21. dcscott

dcscott Go have another cheeseburger, Randy

Mono for me

22. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

The mono & stereo mix of"When I'm 64" play at the same speed/pitch.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  23. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

Eek, that's the one I think is most improved in the mono mix!

Drifter likes this.
  24. Fields&Lanes

Fields&Lanes Forum Resident

Love the idea of morphing the mono version into stereo SOMEWHERE on side two.

25. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Need the mono Reprise since the stereo is lacking balls. Edit is easy enough to repair.

Fields&Lanes likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.