Poll: still buying cds?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Noel Patterson, Jul 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 80steen

80steen John McClane

I stream my ripped collection as well as other material on Apple Music but I still order older cds.

Sterling1 likes this.
  2. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

Man, I love discs so much, I’m buying and rebuying more than ever!

tomd, Tim 2, Martinu and 3 others like this.
  3. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Forum Resident

Fishleehooke, Tim 2, tomd and 10 others like this.
  4. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Yep. Bought about 80 new discs so far just since January. And about a dozen used, but they're all in the OOP $40-$120 range, not cheap ones. I'm doing my part.

Tim 2 and danielbravo like this.
  5. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Dang! I was just perusing amazon for a couple jazz CDs of albums I don't have. Prices have trended back up!

danielbravo likes this.
  6. April Snow

April Snow Forum Resident

I prefer to have physical media & only use streaming to preview any albums I may be interested in purchasing.
    So I still buy Vinyl & CDs.
    I do back up the CDs though by ripping on to a Hard Drive :)

Tim 2, Martinu and Sterling1 like this.
  7. muletrane

muletrane Forum Resident

I still buy when I get the itch. More enjoyable than streaming that’s for damn sure!

8. Ted Torres Jr

Ted Torres Jr Synergistic Maximus

Yep...CD library Still Growing!

Tim 2, DME1061, danielbravo and 2 others like this.
  9. CharlesS

CharlesS Forum Resident

CDs mostly for classical. For rock and classical I buy LPs as main go to.

Martinu likes this.
  10. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

Yes, I'm sill buying some cds. Completing some things. Basically new and with decent remasters. Although to be honest my purchases in general have decreased considerably regardless of the format

11. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

You are right, I frequently check some sites in addition to the usual ones (discogs, amazon, dodax or ebay) and I have noticed that prices have been rising in recent months for some CDs.
    I always check to see the ones that interest me and certainly the prices in some are increasing

Tim 2, MikeJedi and Man at C&A like this.
  12. HaileyMcComet

HaileyMcComet Forum Resident

I think you dropped your laptop.

Barry_NJ and Oelewapper like this.
  13. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

If the music I am after is not available on 5.1 SACD, I might purchase it on CD and then place it my iTunes Library in ALAC. There seems to be a very, very, slight performance improvement over Apple Music download for rent or purchase.

14. tdvanb

tdvanb Forum Resident

I buy cds and everything else...all used for .50 to 1.99.

Carl Swanson, DME1061 and MikeJedi like this.
  15. YarRevenge

YarRevenge Forum Resident

I buy only cd, its cheap, sounds awesome and I dont need internet conection to listen it.

16. BruceS

BruceS El Sirviente del Gato

Family who will have to clean up after me when I'm gone are going to appreciate that I have retained only about 10% of my CD collection. Now and then I do have to buy one, usually used, because the album is just not available elsewhere. I went from having 1400 CDs in 4 separate places (and in boxes and informally scattered about) to having them on a couple of shelves in my home office. I'm happier that I thought I'd be with this arrangement. Far, far be it from me to judge other's media preferences.

17. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

The beauty of the used market right now is being able to pick up some CD's that I may not have in the past (due to the cost of new CDs and limited funds while raising a family). The other day I picked up a few (Paul Weller, Moody Blues, Little Feat, Morrissey XTC, Roky Erikson Tribute, Elton John) for $1.99 in perfect condition at my favorite record store. Good times! :righton:

YarRevenge and BruceS like this.
  18. BruceS

BruceS El Sirviente del Gato

Nice. I added hundreds of CDs bought at used CD emporia, back when such stores were ubiquitous. Not many for $1.99, though! Was a fun way to spend a day. Out of town, I'd seek out more of the same.

Tim 2 and DME1061 like this.
  19. mds

mds Forum Resident

I've basically given up on used, priced too high for desirable albums and so many come in not the best of condition. I still do buy new at times but since I began streaming no where near as often as I used to. Probably 12 to 18 a year now when it used to be at least 5 a month.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  20. nht2.9

nht2.9 Forum Resident

I gave up on buying CDs this year and stream 80% of the time in high rez. Actually I gave away and donated at least 400 CDs recently. I really enjoy vinyl and CDs but the convenience and selection of the streaming has made me go this route.

Tim 2 likes this.
  21. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

Picked up some Jackson Browne, Primus, and Doobie Brothers recently.

Tim 2 and Eric_Generic like this.
  22. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

I just bought 40 CDs out of a friend's car. A buck or two each.

Tim 2 likes this.
  23. Vinylistener

Vinylistener Well-Known Member

There are a lot of good deals on cds, just bought Stevie Ray Vaughn complete recordings box set on Amazon & Derek and the Dominos 40th Annivrsey deluxe layla cd

24. WinstonOno

WinstonOno Forum Resident

I'm pretty much done purchasing cds but only because I have all the titles I've ever wanted and I mostly stream. Saying that, you never know.

CDlover likes this.
  25. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

Yes, I still purchase CDs, but they get ripped to flac files, so I'll only play a CD if I want to listen to it before ripping or if I choose to listen to an older player that doesn't support playing ripped files. Naturally, I also rip DVD, DVD-A, Blu-ray Audio, and SACD discs, but I don't find as many Hi-res titles I want these days compared to previous years.

Doug

WinstonOno likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.