Poll: still buying cds?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Noel Patterson, Jul 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

I answered no because you had a black or white question, very rarely but I still might buy CDs. Vinyl I do buy regularly.

greelywinger likes this.
  2. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

If you included option for "Used", I would say yes. But I don't buy any new CDs, any new I get come in with the LP. If I see some used in the record store I might but you have to force me to go look.

3. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

This year, I bought 62 new and used CDs so far. Sooner or later, I'm going to have to buy another CD multimedia shelf...

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

:shrug:

5. JayDog

JayDog Well-Known Member

My most recent purchases have been Vinyl and Hi-Res downloads. I have strongly considered CD's recently as the price is right considering I'm seeing quite a few new CD's priced below what a standard non Hi-Res download would cost.

6. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

New- not really. Tons of used tho!

Fox67 likes this.
  7. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

I never bought them originally

beat_truck likes this.
  8. dAlost

dAlost for the love of cheese cookies

Yes... new and used.

MGW and Tim 2 like this.
  9. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

CD's?

I think my grandfather
    used to be into those.

condorsat likes this.
  10. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

11. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Yes I have completely moved to CDs. I still have a lot of self-recorded "legacy" cassettes that contain music that I like enopugh to not throw out, but not so much that I need a good CD copy. When I buy music, though, it's CD, unless of course it's something that's only available via digital download.

Giobacco, Front 242 Addict and Tim 2 like this.
  12. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Yes but it only refers to 2020, and while I do buy CDs I'm not sure I have bought any this year. My last purchases were the three Fleet Foxes albums, but I am not sure whether I got those last year or this year. I don't diarise things like that.

13. formbypc

formbypc Forum Resident

Yes, but I don't routinely play them. I regard them now as simply a delivery system to get the music from the record label onto my file-based replay system.

Buy CD, rip to file, put CD in box in garage.

Ripped the whole collection a few years back, boxed them up, and have only needed to open a box once, to check some personnel detail or similar on an obscure Jazz CD ....

14. Lowrider75

Lowrider75 Forum Resident

I stream Qobuz and buy used CDs due to the great prices.
    I only buy original issues, the CDs that were released before remastering.

Sneaky Pete and c-eling like this.
  15. DeeKay

DeeKay Forum Resident

More than ever. Just had a look and just under 100 so far this year. About 60% used.

Eigenvector, Tim 2 and c-eling like this.
  16. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

That sounds like how I used to do with vinys - except that I used to "rip" to cassette rather than digital.

17. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Most of the new and new-to-me music I listen to is via streaming, or, increasingly now, downloads, but I'll still occasionally buy CD or even vinyl if its the only way to get the music (there are labels like Cuneiform and Pi, putting out music I'm interested who don't stream). But buying hard copy is kind of a last resort for me now.

I'll also buy a CD if I think the music might be rare in the future -- like small label jazz recordings which sell in minuscule quantities and where the label might go out of business at any time and the music become unavailable -- and I know I'm going to want to hear the album again and again.

But mostly I'm very happy not having to buy and hold a hardcopy version of every recording I become interested in hearing, or even buy it at all.

Swann36 likes this.
  18. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

I don't hate the good ol' CD, I just prefer vinyl.
    If I come across a CD it want, I'll buy it. That just doesn't happen very often. Admittedly, I don't search through the CD racks like I do the vinyl ones.

That's pretty much what I do with my CDs too. I just rip them, then put them away. I haven't played an actual CD in quite a while...probably years. I always just rip it right away.

Swann36, condorsat and c-eling like this.
  19. Django

Django Forum Resident

Yeah. I bought a few yesterday.

Lowrider75 and Tim 2 like this.
  20. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

21. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Yes, but rarely and older recordings either not on vinyl or out of my price range on LP.

22. Werner Berghofer

Werner Berghofer Forum Resident

I haven’t normally bought CDs for a long time. Exceptionally only if the album is not available as a lossless download. The CDs I buy gather dust on the bookshelf after I add them to my file-based digital music collection. I haven’t owned a CD player for more than fifteen years.

23. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Yup me too, very happy with Tidal, best music bang for the buck ever. But I still purchase a few CD's.

audiomixer likes this.
  24. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Too many great box sets to pass up:righton::cheers:

25. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

Yes, but infrequently. I mainly buy classical music, and the new classical record offerings are kind of sad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.