Poll: still buying cds?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Noel Patterson, Jul 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 911s55

911s55 Forum Resident

Sure am, just bought Barbara Lewis on Rhino today.

I won't find that material on LP, because I don't look!

moops and Man at C&A like this.
  2. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

I buy cds all the time.

Front 242 Addict and klockwerk like this.
  3. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Yeah, I still love them.

I'm anticipating that I'll be buying them well into the future. I do generally prefer vinyl and always have but that's increasingly becoming a rich man's hobby. Space is also an issue. With vinyl I'm very happy with my collection as it is, but in the future I can imagine buying a few vinyl albums but a lot of CDs. They're so cheap but I have noticed prices of out of print CDs going up recently along with a lot going out of print.

Papi Hipbone323 likes this.
  4. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It's hard to get on CD. I'm after a good Barbara Lewis compilation. One of the few Atlantic soul artists I don't have an LP or CD by.

911s55 likes this.
  5. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Just purchased Huey Lewis and The News' latest on CD.

I waited until my local brick and mortar music store opened up to give them my $$$. Bezos is not getting my money on CDs.

Giobacco and F1nut like this.
  6. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

If the LP costs more than ten dollars more than the CD, I'll buy the CD. This means I buy the LP 9 times out of 10.

7. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I mostly buy vinyl. I will make several trips to my local record store & mostly ignore the CDs. Although occasionally I'll flip through them.
    Rarely find much.

Darryl

8. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

Only if it’s not on LP will I buy on CD. Otherwise, imho, music initially released on vinyl should be played from vinyl. Also, I try to buy the originals, not MFSL etc. Most of the many used record stores in Seattle are VG to EX at reasonable prices (a few bucks each, often).

With reasonable exceptions, like the Giles Martin Beatles re-dos, Miles Davis complete sessions box sets, Gong special editions. Recent Zappa box sets like Roxy and Meat. The remix releases from Steven Wilson (Tull, Crim, Yes...) - which have been such major improvements that I saw no justification to wait for the vinyl versions

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  9. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

This.

Ital Galore likes this.
  10. Remurmur

As I've argued many times, CD's and Vinyl both have advantages and disadvantages over the other. I still own and play vinyl but have always been very sensitive to the pops, clicks, hiss, skips, warps, and off center issues that back in the pre-CD 80's , sent me back to the record store at least once and sometimes twice to three times trying to get a reasonably quiet copy of my most recent album purchase.

Even with the possibility of the bad CD pressing or possible loudness/brick walling, I do not miss the above vinyl issues at all.

11. Remurmur

Every Saturday morning, I get up early and as my wife is a night owl and sleeps in , I let her sleep and head out to the thrifts looking for CD's. I have 5-6 stores that I hit in a logistical ,circular fashion every excursion.

I have a system. I am looking mostly for near mint, unscratched CD's. If a desirable CD is scratched but still in print where I can still buy it through a regular music store , I pass. If it is desirable and out of print , I will allow a certain amount of scratches and will still buy it if it looks playable. That will be my copy until I find a better one at which point the scratched CD is donated back to the thrift store.

I will happily buy duplicates of favorite albums, both to have a safety copy for myself, or to give out as gifts. I also watch out for label issued CD's to replace my BMG or Columbia Record Club copies.

Sometimes I am lucky to bring one or two home. Sometimes I hit big. Just a few weeks ago, prior to the shutdown, and ironically, just after finishing Ken Burn's Country Music series, I found 22 classic country CD's , all in excellent shape or still sealed. We're talking Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, George Jones, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson , Loretta Lynn, Patsy Cline, Jim Reeves, Marty Robbins, and a really nice Carter Family compilation among others.

$.99 cents each.

I do it for fun but mostly for the thrill of the hunt. When I sort through all the chaff and find that one CD in NM shape that makes it all worthwhile, it always brings a smile to my face.

So, am I still buying CD's ?

Hell, yeah...:righton:

12. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

I still buy CD occasionally but I never play them.

13. Retro Music Man

Retro Music Man Forum Resident

Even though I'm in my early 20s and have a Spotify subscription, I still buy quite a few CDs. And for a very interesting reason:

It limits my choice of music.

I'm serious. You can only own a finite number of albums on CD, which gives you a chance to fully appreciate each one. Streaming lets you flick between tracks & artists so quickly that you don't give any particular album a chance to sink in.

ukrules, Papi Hipbone323 and Mr.Sign like this.
  14. roxy17

roxy17 Well-Known Member

Hi,
    enjoying this great forum, this is my first message>:edthumbs:
    As about CD's i like to buy CD-boxes, as i usually find nice content (mostly rock & classic music).

jusbe and wrappedinsky like this.
  15. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

Yep - second hand off eBay usually. In fact, I have just bought 21 CDs for about $40, delivered.

I am loving it! If I find an album I really like, or if one is newly released that I really want, then I will get the vinyl.

I've gone a step further and gotten a vintage iPod and rip all the CDs to AAC and listen on the go. I have cancelled Spotify etc subscriptions. For the cost of spotify I can get 5 CDs per month and own them forever. Much better.

I would really like to get more HD music downloaded, but it really is hit and miss what you are buying. There is no way of knowing whether you are buying a scaled up 44.1/16 source, or a new source, a new master, or anything else.

16. Still buying CDs and ripping them to FLAC on my music server.
    Then they go into the current box for storage - when it's full a new box starts.
    Don't have a CD player at home, and haven't had one for over a decade.

I haven't played the hunt for the CD game since I started doing networked music streaming.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  17. Yes, I buy used CDs and a rare new CD.

18. box of frogs

box of frogs Forum Resident

I buy as many CDs / SACDs as vinyl albums, possibly more so (around 150 a year combined). As silver disc purchases are mainly jazz-related - where the mastering is more 'gentle' than rock/pop - SQ is more than acceptable.

19. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

20. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

I’m still buying CDs, but mostly SACDs.

21. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

No you're not alone. I still buy them and there seem to be plenty in the shops and online. I picked up 2 bargains just recently, each £2.99.

22. dcottrell6

dcottrell6 Forum Resident

I buy new and used , rip them, then put them away.
    Also buy some downloads.

23. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I didn’t buy a CD since March until 2 weeks ago I returned to the record stores for the first time and bought 17 used and 2 new CDs. I’ve stopped buying digital FLAC albums since getting Tidal.

24. Grower of Mushrooms

Grower of Mushrooms Omnivorous mammalian bipedal entity.

Yes. I like vinyl, but purchases are extremely rare, it's just too expensive.

So I buy CDs, 80% used, 20% new.

I don't buy downloads.

YarRevenge likes this.
  25. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Same here

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.