POLL - The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour - Your Favorite Tracks

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thnkgreen, Sep 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura! Thread Starter

[​IMG]

From Wikipedia:

"Magical Mystery Tour is a record by the English rock band the Beatles that was released as a double EP in the United Kingdom and an LP in the United States. It includes the soundtrack to the 1967 television film of the same name. The EP was issued in the UK on 8 December 1967 on the Parlophone label, while the Capitol Records LP release in the US occurred on 27 November and featured an additional five songs that were originally released as singles that year. In 1976, Parlophone released the eleven-track LP in the UK.

When recording their new songs, the Beatles continued the studio experimentation that had typified Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967) and the psychedelic sound they had pursued since Revolver (1966). The project was instigated by Paul McCartney in April 1967, but after the band recorded the song "Magical Mystery Tour", it lay dormant until the death of their manager, Brian Epstein, in late August. Recording then took place alongside filming and editing, and as the Beatles furthered their public association with Transcendental Meditation under teacher Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.

The sessions have been characterised by some biographers as aimless and unfocused, with the band members overly indulging in sound experimentation and exerting greater control over production. McCartney contributed three of the soundtrack songs, including the widely covered "The Fool on the Hill", while John Lennon and George Harrison contributed "I Am the Walrus" and "Blue Jay Way", respectively. The sessions also produced "Hello, Goodbye", issued as a single accompanying the soundtrack record, and items of incidental music for the film. Further to the Beatles' desire to experiment with record formats and packaging, the EP and LP included a 24-page booklet containing song lyrics, color photos from film production, and color story illustrations by cartoonist Bob Gibson.

Despite widespread media criticism of the Magical Mystery Tour film, the soundtrack was a critical and commercial success. In the UK, it topped the EPs chart compiled by Record Retailer and peaked at number 2 on the magazine's singles chart (later the UK Singles Chart) behind "Hello, Goodbye". The album topped Billboard's Top LPs listings for eight weeks and was nominated for the Grammy Award for Album of the Year in 1969. With the international standardization of the Beatles' catalogue in 1987, Magical Mystery Tour became the only Capitol-generated LP to supersede the band's intended format and form part of their core catalogue. "

Further reading about Magical Mystery Tour
    https://www.beatlesbible.com/albums/magical-mystery-tour/
    The Beatles Collection » Magical Mistery Tour, Parlophone SMMT-1.
    Beatles - "Magical Mystery Tour" *
    Magical Mystery Tour Remix
    The Beatles Remasters: Magical Mystery Tour
    The Beatles: Magical Mystery Tour
    'Magical Mystery Tour': Inside Beatles' Psychedelic Album Odyssey
    Album Review: The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour [Remastered]
    The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour (album review 9) | Sputnikmusic
    51 Disappointing Albums: 'Magical Mystery Tour' by The Beatles - Daily Review: Film, stage and music reviews, interviews and more.
    Magical Mystery Tour
    Ten Things You Didn’t Know About The Beatles’ Magical Mystery Tour

Please select your favorite tracks from Magical Mystery Tour above. :wave:

Eric_Generic likes this.
  2. thnkgreen

3. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

I never really thought to compare the US album to Sgt Pepper since I still see it as a comp or an EP with bonus tracks. As an album though it actually might be as good as Pepper if not better.

Dan The Man1, forthlin, ARK and 4 others like this.
  4. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

The Fool On The Hill and Flying are my favorites on it.

Followed by the title track and Strawberry Fields Forever.

5. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

The first four. Then the singles added on later. The only tracks which aren't for me are Flying and Blue Jay Way. Everything else is fab.

EG.

6. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

1st album I realized all was not gold with em. Dislike Mother and Fool.

Aftermath and 7solqs4iago like this.
  7. Trixmay 988

Trixmay 988 Demere's Dreams

For a long time I never knew it wasn't a 'canon' album nor a soundtrack album, so I always saw it as a Beatles made and 'configured' (I can't think of the right words lol) album. It works equally as well as one as others in their catalogue imo if you ignore the fact that it wasn't originally packaged the way it was in the U.S. by the band.
    It flows really well; especially the first half, and while it has plenty of variety, as per the usual for a Beatles album, it has a consistent sound to it. I think it works as an album better than Revolver or Let It Be.

8. Trixmay 988

Trixmay 988 Demere's Dreams

I'm getting my mate into the band at the moment. He has all of their albums and is very familiar with the majority, although he's yet to hear Yellow Submarine, Beatles For Sale or With the Beatles at all, but this is the one album he has no care for, despite disliking very, very few of the tracks on the others. I reckon it's probably Flying and Blue Jay Way that turn him off, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's the same for a lot of people. Those two very out-there tracks in a row could be rather confronting for a new-comer. I'm sure he'll come around to the rest, though.

9. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Fool
    Mother
    Fields
    Lane
    Goodbye

10. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I love the full album version.

Mystery Tour - a great song, that seems sometimes underappreciated
    Walrus - classic
    Fool on the hill - another sometimes overlooked classic
    Strawberry fields - classic
    Penny lane - classic
    Baby you're a rich man .... among my favourites.
    All you need is love - classic

A couple of ho him tracks, but not bad, but this seems like a very underappreciated gem in its album form...
    For me, the one time Capitol got it right

Mackaveli, Hombre, marklamb and 5 others like this.
  11. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Walrus and Strawberry—two of Lennon’s finest moments on a record for sure.

Penny Lane is one of Macca’s greatest songs.

I like Blue Jay Way too—really fits with the hazy psychedelic vibe of MMT.

12. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Voted Fool on the Hill and Baby, You're a Rich Man. I do like Blue Jay, Strawberry, Walrus, the title cut and Flying too, though. Least favorite has always been and will forever be Your Mother Should Know. It's that "cutesy, kitchy" side of Paul's writing that grates BIG TIME, Lol. Not a big fan of Hello, Goodbye, either...

Mackaveli likes this.
  13. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

First album so far that I’ve not picked all the songs. Picked about 6 keepers, all typical.

7solqs4iago likes this.
  14. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

I kind of wish they did a 20 minute FLYING version

I love it!

It sounds VERY "ahead-of-it's-time" to me

15. Spear and Magic Helmet

Spear and Magic Helmet Forum Resident

Probably listen to this one more than any other. My favorite Beatles record. Very psychedelic and spacey.

16. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Once again:

THE WHOLE THING.

17. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

I love "Flying"! The mellotron. The eerie "druid" background vocals. That weird compressed bassy guitar part. It's got a beautiful groove. No, it's not a major artistic statement. No, it's not much of a "song". What it is is a small, wonderfully weird blues jam that really does evoke its title and sounds like nothing else in the universe.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    Mackaveli, Absjc, cmcintyre and 10 others like this.
  18. Uncle Miles

Uncle Miles Wafting in and out of Forum

I liked all the songs, and this one has my favorite Beatles song "Walrus"

polchik and Chrome_Head like this.
  19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I love 'em all!! Goo goo goo joob!!

20. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

The Beatles had power to veto the Capitol LP in 1967. They didn’t and they allowed it. So while not concieved as such MMT remains and survives as an album. And it’s among the best they ever did.

vince and Eric_Generic like this.
  21. Harp Of Glass

Harp Of Glass Forum Resident

The first Beatles cd I bought.

Suncola and vince like this.
  22. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

one of my favorite beatles records along with the beatles and beatles for sale.

Mackaveli likes this.
  23. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

1. I Am the Walrus
    2. Fool on the Hill
    3. Hello, Goodbye
    4. Strawberry Fields Forever
    5. Penny Lane
    6. Baby, You're a Rich Man

I've admittedly got a soft spot for the US Magical Mystery Tour LP. That said, I think if one were to analyze the six new songs from the film under a microscope, they'd be able to see some cracks beginning to form. I mean even "I Am the Walrus", as brilliant as it is, isn't really a top-notch song, what with that French police siren vocal melody. No complaints about the second side, though. They might have been blasted out of their minds on LSD, but when it came to crafting singles they were still at the top of their game.

24. thnkgreen

25. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Back in 1973, my aunt taped this album for me on a reel-to-reel tape I brought over to her apartment.
    For some reason, she left off "Flying" , "Blue Jay Way" & "I Am The Walrus" . I chalked it up to 'time-on-the-tape' reasons, but, I think in the end, it was a matter of her tastes...'weird' is a waste of time, in her mind...
    As you might guess, I finally bought my on copy a year or two later, and, as you may guess, the record is permanently engrained in my head.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    Dan The Man1, ARK, Suncola and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.