POLL - The Byrds - Younger Than Yesterday

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thnkgreen, Jul 27, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura! Thread Starter

[​IMG]

What are your favorite tracks off of Younger Than Yesterday? Thanks :wave:

2. thnkgreen

Have You Seen Her Face is one of the greatest songs ever written, IMO

3. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I picked Face/Burned/Pages. As did most others so far, so I'm in good company. Terrific, mature record that signaled the end of the Byrds as we knew them at that point.

ronbow and thnkgreen like this.
  4. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Maybe my favorite Byrds album? Probably so since I picked nearly every song. It's the album that features a little bit of all directions they had and would have. It's sort of their Revolver IMO.

agundy likes this.
  5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

'i think that maybe i'm dreamin'

6. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

I picked most of them. It's the best Byrds album and an underrated American psych masterpiece.

Sear, Lexhibit and Bryce like this.
  7. shakti

shakti Senior Member

Wow, I voted Have You Seen Her Face (among others) thinking it was a bit of a odd choice among such lofty company (R&R Star, Burned, Back Pages etc) but I see it has the most votes at the moment.

This is my favourite Byrds album, even without Gene Clark. Not a weak track, even the obligatory space track (CTA-102) is fun and good on its own.

ronbow and carlwm like this.
  8. UnknownEric

UnknownEric did not put the ram in the rama-lama-ding-dong

Classic record. The other Byrds picked up the slack left by Gene Clark's loss and proved themselves to be strong songwriters (especially Chris Hillman, who contributes a couple bangers here). Among the bonus tracks, Crosby's "Lady Friend" is a great, lost single that deserved more attention than it got at the time.

Bryce, carlwm, DISKOJOE and 1 other person like this.
  9. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I always thought it would have made a great girl group song. There's a lot going on in that mix that gives it a Spector-ish sound which probably threw a lot of folks for a loop. It doesn't really sound like any of their singles they had previously released.

janschfan and UnknownEric like this.
  10. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

A good show all around. Some real good ones here: "So You Want To Be A Rock & Roll Star", "Have You Seen Her Face", "Renaissance Fair" and "Mind Gardens" are great. The album version of "Why" shows how a simple key change can alter the tone of a song, and I like that.

"My Back Pages" shows that they've still got it as far as Dylan covers are concerned. "Time Between" shows Hillman coming into his own as a songwriter. "Lady Friend" is one of Croz's finest songs. "Old John Robertson" is a fun track, and the single version is superior to the album version.

11. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

I remember the first time I encountered this album. It was 1979 & a bunch of us high school malcontents accompanied a friend who was babysitting a young couple who were attending a Bob Segar concert. I went through their record collection & found this album & played it, which knocked my socks off. I was thinking to myself, "who would be the kind of person who would own this great album & see Bob Segar?" I picked up my own copy sometime later. I still enjoy it very much.

carlwm likes this.
  12. janschfan

janschfan Senior Member

[QUOTE Unknown Eric = Crosby's "Lady Friend" is a great, lost single that deserved more attention than it got at the time.[/QUOTE]

Wow! That's for sure..I understand the chronology is YTY, released in Feb.'67 in the U.S., followed by Lady Friend, recorded in June '67 and released in July '67, and, as a result, always related that single more to The Notorious Byrd Brothers project , than YTY. It certainly acts as a sonic bridge between the two albums...

13. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

Picked em all even Mind Gardens, one of my favorite albums

14. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Love the album though not quite as much as its predecessor. Voted for:

So You Want To Be A Rock And Roll Star
    Have You Seen Her Face
    Renaissance Fair
    Time Between
    Thoughts And Words
    The Girl With No Name
    Why

I like the others well enough too but they are just a notch below these (CAVEAT: I haven't included any bonus tracks in my selection. Just stuck with the original album in all the polls).

newelectricmuse likes this.
  15. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

It's full of great songs - I voted for most of the tracks apart from a couple of throwaways and Mind Gardens. Some excellent outtakes and singles as well. As an ALBUM it's all over the place, pulling in all sorts of different directions. But some of these songs are among The Byrds' very best.

carlwm likes this.
  16. thnkgreen

17. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

Great album. I picked eight songs.

My very favorite is 'Renaissance Fair.'

KinkySmallFace1991 and carlwm like this.
  18. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

I prefer the alternate mix of My Back Pages with the Leslied guitar to the album take. Rock and Roll Star is overrated in my opinion, but Face, Time Between, Why (single version is better), Thoughts and Words, Lady Friend and Old John Robertson get my vote.

19. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Tempted to pick them all but went for 8.

If some of the extras e.g. Lady Friend, It Happened Each Day had been on the album it would now be thought of as the best album of 67. Even without them it still beats Pepper in my book.

And just listen to Chris Hillman's bass playing - just superb! some of the best rock bass on record.

Lexhibit likes this.
  20. hangwire13

hangwire13 Forum Resident

So You Want to Be a Rock 'n' Roll Star.
    I also dig Tom Petty's live cover of this tune.

21. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Anything except Mind Gardens

Joe N and Pete Puma like this.
  22. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

This is their best album by far I think .... Dont really mind mind gardens it is what it is... it must be torture to the people that hate it as the remaster has two versions AND a hidden track of it. Who in the byrds in '96 voted for this?

23. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Croz of course!

Lexhibit likes this.
  24. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

I like Mind Gardens

zobalob and carlwm like this.
  25. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

David Crosby - CS&N Biography 1984
    It was a total struggle to get that song (Mind Gardens) on there. McGuinn, to this day, still hates the song. He told me ' It doesn't have rhythm, meter or rhyme'. I told him 'Who cares? There are no damn rules!' The lyrics were a cop on Shakespeare. I did that on purpose. And the music was me with my twelve-string, recorded backwards. I liked the song because it stretched the senses. It was intended to encourage the breaking down of walls, which is what I did with the song.

abzach and carlwm like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.