POLL - The Forum's Favorite Guitarist - After Hendrix

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ianuaditis, Aug 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

I don't know who Ian Moss is, but Mick Ronson needs to be on any (mostly) rock top guitarists list.

Voted Page & Beck.

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  2. 00Diablo

00Diablo Senior Member

I won't vote because I don't see Michael Schenker on the list... C'MON, MAN!

He is easily in the top 5 most influential hard rock/heavy metal guitarists.

Randy Rhoads too, for that matter.

3. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Can I change my vote to Peter Green?

BluesOvertookMe and footlooseman like this.
  4. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Jeff Beck for me, but I’m surprised no one mentioned Johnny Winter.

footlooseman likes this.
  5. Satchidananda

Satchidananda Forum Resident

Jonny Greenwood. Grant Green.

danasgoodstuff likes this.
  6. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I said that a while back but I'm just watching The Rory Gallagher Beat Club Sessions and he also makes me say "Whaaaat?" Such an amazing player.

7. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Hank B Marvin
    Chester B Atkins

8. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

LOVE this!

LilacTeardrop and ianuaditis like this.
  9. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Eight months later and he's still ahead by one vote! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

ianuaditis likes this.
  10. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

Michael Hedges, man!

11. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

Of this list: Johnny Marr

Of others not listed: John Frusciante

12. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Harrison and Page seem to get more keystrokes around here than anyone besides Jimi.

13. From the list my favorite is Brian May. My absolute favorite is probably Clarence White. Hendrix isn't in my top 1,000.

14. David Gilmour and Jimmy Page, neck and neck...

15. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Frank Zappa and Jeff Beck make me say whaaat? Others that are not listed like Allan Holdsworth and John McLaughlin do the same.

16. Remote Control Triangle

Remote Control Triangle Forum Member Rated 6.8 By Pitchfork

Two of the best, most colorful and innovative guitarists that I can think of right there. I don't know why Frusciante doesn't get as much praise around these parts, presumably because the band he was in is super polarizing.

agaraffa likes this.
  17. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Edward Van Halen & Pete Townshend are my two favorites.

18. Chuck Berry is probably the greatest guitar player of all time if I had to pick with Jimi second. Then I'd pick Zappa and Keith Richards. Of course, Zoot Horn Rollo is in there.

Davido, Dude111 and Greenalishi like this.
  19. tensummoner

tensummoner wish i had a nickle.. thats it just wish i had 1

Have to go with Mark Knopfler…. vastly underrated .he's 100% awesome in my book

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  20. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

I went with my fav who is Garcia &
    my #2 Johnny Winter...

But without Johnny Winter this list is shamelessly flawed & inaccurate

21. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Zappa on your list, BUT you forgot Rory Gallagher. :doh:

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  22. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

From the Poll I voted Gilmour(would be in my Top 2 Picks anyways) & Marr. I also really need to include Pete Townshend, so would need 3 Selections from this Poll.

But I love other Guitar Players not in this Poll including:

Prince(Genuis-Nothing Else I Need to Add-RIP).

Lindsey Buckingham(Singer, Songwriter, and Producer, best known as Lead Guitarist and one of the Vocalists of the musical group Fleetwood Mac from 1975 to 1987, and then 1997 to 2018. Aside from his tenure with Fleetwood Mac, Buckingham has also released six solo albums and three live albums. As a member of Fleetwood Mac, he was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1998. In 2011, Buckingham was ranked 100th in Rolling Stone Magazine's 2011 list of "The 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time". Buckingham is known for his fingerpicking guitar style. Buckingham was invited to join Fleetwood Mac in 1974; they had recorded in the same studio, and the band was lacking a guitarist or male lead vocal. As a stipulation to joining, Buckingham insisted that his musical and romantic partner Stevie Nicks be included. Buckingham and Nicks became the face of Fleetwood Mac during their most commercially successful period, highlighted by the multi-platinum Rumours album, which would sell over 40 million copies worldwide. Though highly successful, the line-up experienced almost constant creative and personal conflict, and Buckingham left the band in 1987 to focus on his solo career. A one-off reunion at the 1993 Inauguration Ball for President Bill Clinton would initiate some rapprochement between the former band members, with Buckingham performing some vocals on one track of their 1995 album Time, and rejoining the band full-time in 1997 for the live tour and album The Dance. Fleetwood Mac announced Buckingham was fired from the band on April 9, 2018).

Nile Rodgers(He is the lead guitarist and co-founding member with Bernard Edwards of the band Chic, which has been active since 1976. He is famed for his "chucking" rhythm guitar style. Although he recorded three solo albums during the 1980s and 1990s, and one as part of the short-lived group Outloud, Rodgers has found more success in collaboration as producer and performer with many artists including Sister Sledge,Diana Ross, Philip Bailey, Thompson Twins, Sheena Easton, David Bowie, Bryan Ferry, Duran Duran, Madonna, INXS,,Daft Punk, Pharrell Williams, Avicii, Disclosure, Sam Smith, Lady Gaga,Kylie Minogue, Max Pezzali, Nervo, Laura Mvula, Sigala, Keith Urban and Christina Aguilera. On April 7, 2017, Rodgers was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and received an Award for Musical Excellence. He was appointed chairman of the Songwriters Hall of Fame in July, 2018).

Johnny Greenwood(back in the 1990s, before Radiohead took the Guitar out of his hands and had him plugging cables into some device-I assume the ondes Martenot mentioned below).

A Multi-Instrumentalist, Greenwood plays bass guitar, piano, viola, and drums, among other instruments, and is a prominent player of the ondes Martenot, an early electronic instrument. He incorporates electronic techniques such as programming, sampling and looping in his work, and writes music software used by Radiohead. He described his role in the band as an arranger, helping to transform Thom Yorke's Demos into full songs. Greenwood has been named one of the greatest guitarists of all time by several publications. Radiohead albums have featured Greenwood's string and brass arrangements, and he has composed for orchestras including the London Contemporary Orchestra and the BBC Concert Orchestra. His first solo work, the soundtrack for the film Bodysong, was released in 2003. In 2007, he scored There Will Be Blood, directed by Paul Thomas Anderson, and has composed the soundtrack for every Anderson film since; in 2018, he was nominated for an Academy Award for his score Anderson's Phantom Thread.

Will Sergeant(The swirling guitars of Will Sergeant has been one of Echo and the Bunnymen's distinguishing characteristics since the band's inception in 1978. Initially only playing a one-string guitar, Sergeant was inspired by the punk movement's minimalist approach to music. However, Sergeant was also enamored of '60s psychedelic rock and the marriage of the two spawned the brittle, otherworldly guitar sound of Echo and the Bunnymen's 1980 debut LP, Crocodiles. On that album, Sergeant unshackled his Love, The Doors, and Velvet Underground influences and sharpened the edges, creating bleak, dreamy landscapes that countless imitators would feed from. Other Post-punk and new wave bands such intoxicated themselves on Sergeant's ethereal riffs. When Sergeant reunited with McCulloch as Electrafixion in the mid-'90s, grunge had conquered the alternative-rock scene; consequently, Sergeant cranked up the amps for Electrafixion. But fans didn't embrace Elektrafixion's hard rock touches; in 1997, Echo and the Bunnymen reformed with Sergeant, McCulloch, and bassist Les Pattinson. Sergeant has also released ambient music under the name Glide.

John Frusciante(He is best known as the former guitarist of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, from 1988 until 1992, and again from 1998 until 2009. He recorded five studio albums with them. He has an active solo career, having released eleven solo albums and five EPs; his recordings include elements ranging from Experimental Rock and Ambient Music to New Wave and Electronica. Frusciante has received critical recognition for his guitar playing, ranking at number 18 on Rolling Stone's list of "The 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time" in 2003; and again in a second list published in 2011, where he ranked at number 72. He was ranked as number 42 in Gibson's list of the "50 Best Guitarists of All Time". He was voted "The Best Guitarist of the Last 30 Years" in a 2010 BBC poll called "The Axe Factor". Frusciante was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of the Red Hot Chili Peppers on April 14, 2012).

Bernard Butler(He is best known as the first guitarist with Suede, until his departure in 1994. He has been hailed by some critics as the greatest guitarist of his generation; BBC journalist Mark Savage called him "one of Britain's most original and influential guitarists". He was voted the 24th greatest guitarist of the last 30 years in a national 2010 BBC poll)

Phil Manzanera(He was the lead guitarist with Roxy Music, 801, and Quiet Sun. In 2006 Manzanera co-produced David Gilmour's album On An Island and played in Gilmour's band for tours in Europe and North America).

John McGeoch(Magazine, Siouxsie & the Banshees, PiL among others-He was described as "one of the most influential guitarists of his generation" and he was also considered "the new wave Jimmy Page". In 1996, he was listed by Mojo in their "100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time" for his work on the Siouxsie and the Banshees song "Spellbound").

Kevin Parker(best known for being the frontman, vocalist, and guitarist of the Australian Psychedelic Rock Band Tame Impala, for which he writes, records, and produces the music. At the ARIA Music Awards of 2015 he won two awards, Engineer of the Year and Producer of the Year, for his work on Tame Impala's Currents (2015).

Dave Navarro(Navarro is best known as a member of the Alternative Rock band Jane's Addiction(four studio albums) and as a former member of the Red Hot Chili Peppers(One Hot Minute). He also released one solo album Trust No One (2001). AllMusic's Greg Prato described him as "one of Alternative Rock's first true guitar heroes", with an eclectic playing style that merges Heavy Metal, Psychedelia, and Modern Rock).

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    SG47 likes this.
  23. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Above...Yessss!!:agree: So many choices, so tough to choose/thinking blues-rock guitarists best as sub-category, b/c they just rule. :cool:
    Putting them aside, would go with Johnny Marr and Mark Knopfler.

24. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

That's a tough choice to make. I might actually go with Larry Coryell or J Mascis (for two very different reasons) were they on the list. John McLaughlin could be added as well.

Barnyard Symphony likes this.
  25. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

There's no mistaking the genius of Jimi Hendrix. But my two all time favorite guitarists are Duane Allman and Jeff Beck.

ianuaditis likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.