Poll--The Weakest Link: AC/DC DIRTY DEEDS DONE DIRT CHEAP, Round 1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LandHorses, May 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes Thread Starter

Concrete shoes......cyanide.......T.N.T...............
    [​IMG]

Hi everyone. This week, we're going to run AC/DC's 1976 (or in the US 1981) album Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap. Normally, I refer run the version of the album of the country it was from, but since a lot more know the international version, I'm going to use that tracklist. We'll vote off two songs this round.....vote your first 2 weakest links.

Discussion question: When did you first hear Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, and what was your initial opinion of it?

2. Talmi K

Talmi K Forum Resident

Squealer and Ain't No Fun (I think it's too long).

3. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Voted for LAFF and Squealer. Although every song is at worst pretty good on DDDDC.

Discussion question: First heard it in 1981 or early 1982. Loved it and now I love it just as much now, although the songs I love the most now may not be the ones I loved the most back then.

4. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

Picked Love at First Feel and Rocker since neither of them are "supposed" to be on Dirty Deeds (compared to the Australian release). I heard the title track a looooong time ago and still have my 45rpm with Highway to Hell of the other side, then when I got a CD player this was one of the first CD's I ever got. Still have it and listened to it a few weeks ago!

I've always loved it, but after hearing the original Australian version there's no comparison. I love the longer version of the title track, the track sequencing (which is brilliant), and Jailbreak and R.I.P. really need to be there. Especially Jailbreak as the closer. I mean come on, it's an awesome song.

The international cover art is way better though IMO.

musicfan37 and Zoot Marimba like this.
  5. LandHorses

The Australia vs. this version will be a later discussion question.

blutiga likes this.
  6. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Big Balls - funny joke song, but should have been relegated to b-side.
    The's Gonna Be Some Rockin' - decent, but pretty generic.

7. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Sqealer and Big Balls.

I think it was the 3rd AC-DC album I owned. I like it a little better now than I did then but prefer the Australian track listing of the album.

Tim 2 likes this.
  8. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

“Love At First Feel” and “There’s Gonna Be Some Rockin”. “Squealer”, awesome, dirty, sleazy track.

DQ: 2015 or so, and I loved it.

blutiga and Elmer McMuffin like this.
  9. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Love at first feel (mainly because it isn't supposed to be on the album anyway :) )
    There's gonna be some rockin (nice little rock and roll track but nothing special)

I was an Acdc fan from being a young pup of about 7 or 8. I was a fan from the TNT album.
    Dirty Deeds was the exciting new release, and I loved it. I never understood why Jailbreak was taken off the album in the US

Tim 2 and blutiga like this.
  10. Octavia

Octavia Forum Resident

Big Balls (fun if you’re 8) and Millionaire (goes on too long). The title track and Ride On are easily the standouts on this version of the LP.

mark winstanley likes this.
  11. Elmer McMuffin

Elmer McMuffin Forum Resident

Blimey - Squealer a weakness?! Never thought I'd see that. Great song - pure menace. For me the weaker ones are Love at First Feel and Rocker but I'm massively out of step it seems.

12. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Yeah, it is. I'm disappointed to see it getting so many votes and likely out right away. I think its a great closer after "Ride On". I like how the US version wraps up (Millionaire/Ride On/Squealer) better than the Aussie track listing, even though "Jailbreak" is a total classic. I think it should have been earlier in the album.

Ernest T and Zoot Marimba like this.
  13. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

LOL

14. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Living in Los Angeles in early 80s, KLOS and KMET had them on hourly. Didn’t need to buy til late 80s when lps were dirt cheap. Pun intended

mark winstanley likes this.
  15. belushipower

belushipower Forum Resident

The US artwork looks like it's a b-list new wave act
    and where's the correct track listing?

regards,
    Problem Child xxx

OberonOz and mark winstanley like this.
  16. skisdlimit

skisdlimit Forum Resident

"There's Gonna Be Some Rockin'" (too generic, but still awesome!) and "Ain't No Fun" (too long, but also great!)

I can't really remember when I first heard this album in full, or what my initial opinion was, but I certainly do recall seeing it in cassette form all over my junior high school circa '81/'82-ish, so I probably heard at least some of its tracks around that time. It must've left a good impression because I've subsequently purchased it many times over the years. :thumbsup:

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  17. wellhamsrus

wellhamsrus Surrender to the sound

1976 (Australian version). The US cover looks like something Hipgnosis would do, but I wasn't a fan of the original cover either. In those days tatts were rare, now everyone looks like they've been rolling around in wet comics.

18. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

I haven’t listened to this album since probably high school so I’ll have to re-visit this in order to participate. It’ll be interesting.

DQ: I first heard this the summer of ‘81. A friend had it on cassette and being pre-teens and young teens we (there were a few of us hanging out together) got a real kick out of the raunchiness of it.

19. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

There's Gonna Be Some Rockin', Squealer - First heard it in '81. Loved it.

ps. The Hipgnosis cover is so much better than the original. I mean come on.

20. LandHorses

DQ: I first heard it when it came out in 1981.....bought a cassette tape soon after hearing the title song on the radio. I was 13-14 in 1980 when I started listening to rock music.....so Back in Black was the 1st AC/DC album I heard. I liked Dirty Deeds better.

(I didn’t make the connection at the time that the album was already 5 years old despite having a different singer)

skisdlimit and blutiga like this.
  21. drift

drift Forum Resident

I first heard it when I was about 12. After going through my dad's CD's and loving Powerage, Highway To Hell, Back In Black, and Live, I sought out all the Bon albums and For Those About To Rock. I've always really loved the Bon Scott era. Dirty Deeds is a very good album. I had to vote off "Big Balls" and "Love At First Feel". "Ride On" is the best song on it.

blutiga likes this.
  22. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Love At first Feel, it's not part of my Dirty Deeds anyway, so that's an easy one for me. Then Big Balls, love it to death, but it's a piss take novelty song. Although as the great Kenny Everett used to say... 'it was all done in the best possible taste' :D

23. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

You and I definitely won't be voting off Ride On then.

drift likes this.
  24. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Disagree about the Aussie cover which is my favourite AcDc album cover. Totally agree about the tatts though. In those days you didn't dare wear tatts unless you were prepared to fight in the streets. Took me a while to adjust to all these hipsters and their tatts these days.

Hootsmon likes this.
  25. wellhamsrus

wellhamsrus Surrender to the sound

Further research reveals that Hipgnosis did do the cover. When they were good they were good, but that was only some of the time. This says "Another Hipgnosis cover" rather than "Another AC/DC album".

Tim 2 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.