Poll--The Weakest Link: Bob Dylan PLANET WAVES, Round 1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LandHorses, Jan 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes Thread Starter

Hi everyone. Joey (and me a few) pretty much ran what's considered Bob Dylan's bigger albums. There's probably enough Dylan fans here that I'm going to continue what might be considered the next level.......so you can expect games on stuff as the 1st album, New Morning, Shot of Love, Empire Burlesque, Under the Red Sky, and maybe Knocked Out Loaded and Down in the Groove. Along those lines............
    [​IMG]
    ............this week, we're going to run the album considered the beginning of his 70s comeback......1974's Planet Waves. Possible chance of the final being the same song. We'll start with voting off two songs. Choose your first two weakest links.

Discussion question: When did you first hear Planet Waves and what was your initial opinion of it?

2. LandHorses

Guess not much interest after all.

Jimmy B. and maui jim like this.
  3. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I love this album so much that I’m not going to play along, if that makes sense. For me, it’s not second-tier Dylan at all, and I can’t choose favourites (or least favourites). I’m responding only because your comment implies ambivalence on the part of other Dylan fans, which is certainly not the case with me.

Favre508 likes this.
  4. ElevateMeLater

ElevateMeLater Jesus of Cool

Surprised to see Dirge as the early least favorite. Always liked that one, Going Going Gone and Wedding Song the most of the non-singles.

anth67, The MEZ, Favre508 and 2 others like this.
  5. drift

drift Forum Resident

I first heard it when I was 12 or 13. For some reason, Blood On The Tracks very much clicked with me but I wasn't ready to enjoy Planet Waves for years. I voted off both Forever Youngs. I love Wedding Song, the album version and the few performances from the '74 tour.

6. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Bought 'Planet Waves ' when it first came out.
    It was the first ' real' Dylan album to be released since 1970's ' New Morning ' which I really liked. I never considered the ' Pat Garrett...' soundtrack to be a Dylan album really.
    I like ' Planet Waves ' well enough. It's a scrappy album recorded in a few days with The Band prior to the big tour.But I prefer ' New Morning ' for many ( personal ) reasons.

The MEZ, PacificOceanBlue and DTK like this.
  7. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

You Angel You and FY (Fast) have to go.
    It's an uneven album with some lightweight stuff and some excellent songs. Dirge is a gem.

8. Wildest cat from montana

'Dirge' is great. A foreboding of ' Blood on the Tracks'?
    " I hate myself for loving you and the weakness that it showed. "

DTK and The MEZ like this.
  9. Favre508

Favre508 Forum Resident

I have to say that I didn't love this album on first listen, but now I really enjoy this record. I voted for You angel you and forever Young fast version. my only wish is that nobody cept you had been put on instead of the second forever Young.

roombythelake, DTK and The MEZ like this.
  10. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I first heard it about two years ago and thought it was surprisingly good. I had never heard anything good about the albums between John Wesley Harding and Blood On the Tracks, so I was surprised to hear a pretty solid album once I finally gave it a chance.

DTK, Favre508 and The MEZ like this.
  11. Wildest cat from montana

Have you not heard ' New Morning '?

12. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Sorry am here. Bought it the day it came out.Round Recotrds on the edge of CHICAGO.

13. SurrealCereal

I haven't. I don't listen to Bob Dylan all that much, so on the occasions when I do his classic albums usually suffice. Even at the peak of my interest in Dylan I was always more preoccupied with other artists and didn't get around to hearing most of his deeper cuts. I didn't even listen to Desire or The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan until this past summer.

14. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

You may like new morning more than some of the classic albums. It's a solid album . Planet waves is like csny comeback American dream lame
    imo imo

SurrealCereal likes this.
  15. Wildest cat from montana

Fair enough....but if you get a chance give ' New Morning ' a spin. You may like it. God knows I do.

16. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Oh man - Freewheelin' is his best!
    Desire's okay.
    New Morning's good, Desire's good.
    This album just has Forever Young for me...
    I'll take from Freewheelin' through Highway 61 as his best.

17. SurrealCereal

I might give New Morning and some other Dylan albums a listen soon. I'll definitely have to give Planet Waves another listen if I want to keep participating here; I think I've only ever listened to it the one time. It's been a while since I've been in enough of an Americana mood to listen to Dylan, but I've been listening to a lot of indie folk and contemporary singer/songwriter (among other things) recently and I'm listening to The Band right now, so more Dylan might be right around the corner for me.

18. Wildest cat from montana

Have I stumbled into some bizarre Twilight Zone of a Dylan thread here ?
    One guy says he hasn't heard ' New Morning ' and now you stop just short of ' Blonde on Blonde ' in stating your preferred Dylan albums.
    Is someone going to say : " Dylan who? " next?

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes I am interest in this great album!...but for me there are no weak links...just lettin' ya know. ; ) never understood the disdain toward this?

20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

great album with a fabulous title song!

21. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

The two worst songs were picked for both sides of the album's only single. Brilliant.

First heard this because of the Band - I was a new fan, loved The Last Waltz and reluctantly checked it out knowing it had a mixed reputation. I didn't like it, but I've grown to appreciate its strengths.

22. LandHorses

Glad this is doing better.

My first listen was in the early 80s as I was really getting into Bob Dylan. My father had the record. Save for a couple of songs, I only thought it was OK early on.........compared to his 60s stuff and the two albums that followed this one.

palisantrancho likes this.
  23. LandHorses

Here's a better list of Dylan weakest link games.

Joey has done...........
    Freewheelin'
    Bringing It All Back Home
    Blonde on Blonde
    John Wesley Harding
    Blood On The Tracks
    Desire
    Street Legal
    Slow Train
    Infidels
    Time Out Of Mind
    Love & Theft

I've done...........
    Highway 61
    Oh Mercy

I'll probably revisit some of these down the line, but think a lot of the remaining ones not done yet, should get a workout.

palisantrancho likes this.
  24. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

An album I like but I mostly only listen to the A side. I'm not sure why as I like the entire album, but the A side is my favorite. An album that points the way to Desire, but also feels like an extension of New Morning. He sounds like he is starting to catch that songwriting fire again. Soon to be followed by one of his all time best albums. I guess I will vote for Forever Young (fast version) it just seems unnecessary and I like the slower version. I just put it on and I love the B side songs. After this first round it gets a bit tough.

Not sure when I first heard it. I probably bought it in the early 90s. I liked it immediately.

25. Eduardo Denaro

Eduardo Denaro Forum Resident

This album is a real gem in my Dylan life. I first heard it when I was in my early twenties and it didn't really click, as I was heavy into his 60's stuff. I'm 32 now and can say I've adored this album since purchasing the MOFI vinyl when it was released 3-4 years ago. I'm hoping Something There Is About You holds on to win.

DTK and drift like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.